markoos08 is on a distinguished road
Average speed cameras A80 Roadworks

Just a heads up folks-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/8315078.stm
markoos08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 08:25 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by markoos08 View Post
You wouldn't mind if you saw people working, we went up the M6 the other day, loads of average speed cameras, over 3 to 4 miles, narrow lanes and I don't think we saw any work actually being carried out!!

peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 08:28 PM   #3
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
You never do Pete!
Old 19-10-09, 08:53 PM   #4
bmm87

bmm87 is on a distinguished road
******* BASTARDS!!!!! thats right outside my house its the most pointless speed limit in the world, u cnt just go from a 70 to a 40 the entire 8 miles just cause there are cones!
Old 19-10-09, 09:29 PM   #5
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Its okay if folk stick to the limit but folk dont even though these things are there, but if you do go 40MPH, then you getting overtaken by a lorry etc etc, so these ASC devices are pointless.

Try doing 40 in a V6 ZS, is nigh on impossible.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 09:41 PM   #6
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
They had these on the M27 and they actually worked, people stuck to the limit and the section they covered never suffered from traffic jams, it did get busy but never seemed to come to a standstill. Although I do hate speed cameras!

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-09, 10:58 PM   #7
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
You wouldn't mind if you saw people working, we went up the M6 the other day, loads of average speed cameras, over 3 to 4 miles, narrow lanes and I don't think we saw any work actually being carried out!!

Thats because just after you join the 3 or 4 sets of road works there is a sign that says over night work being carried out

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 09:16 AM   #8
R8NMG

R8NMG will become famous soon enough
Roadworks, cones, speed limit etc are all there for a reason. I am sure the contractors do not put cones there willy nilly just so they can delay your journeys. Not everyone works 24/7 and do you know how long it will take to set up traffic management on a 3-4 miles stretch of a motorway. If we want good roads and infrastructures then we will have to live with roadworks.

As for the speed limit it is there to protect the workforce. Next time try standing on a layby within inches of cars doing 70mph next to you. That is not pleasant, and imagine those people working on the roads with only some plastic cones protecting them from numpty drivers doing more than the speed limit.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 12:57 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.F View Post
Thats because just after you join the 3 or 4 sets of road works there is a sign that says over night work being carried out
I'm all for keeping the workforce safe, we used to cut Christchurch bypass verges, the official rule was the slow lane closed off with cones, if cutting nearside and fast lane when cutting central reservations. Thats in a 70mph section, if it was below 70 we didnt have to cone off. The alternative was the 3 vehicle rolling road block, 2 transits with flashing signs, pointing left or right and a bumper lorry, flashing strobes etc.

That cost £2,200 + VAT for a day or part day.

Same with litter collecting.

Fair enough if the work is done at night, but why don't they flood the work with labour. When you do see people its never 40 - 50 more like 10.

peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-09, 09:08 PM   #10
bmm87

bmm87 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8NMG View Post
Roadworks, cones, speed limit etc are all there for a reason. I am sure the contractors do not put cones there willy nilly just so they can delay your journeys. Not everyone works 24/7 and do you know how long it will take to set up traffic management on a 3-4 miles stretch of a motorway. If we want good roads and infrastructures then we will have to live with roadworks.

As for the speed limit it is there to protect the workforce. Next time try standing on a layby within inches of cars doing 70mph next to you. That is not pleasant, and imagine those people working on the roads with only some plastic cones protecting them from numpty drivers doing more than the speed limit.
look mate, there are 2 mile strectches of the damn thing that havnt been touched in months, but the cones are still there and the 30mph speed restriction!! i hav absolutley no problem with the speed when there are people working, in fact i usually go slower when passing them, but even then the work only gets dun at night

and if u think its just me that thinks its ridiculous, in the paper today, in 24 hours they caught 600 people doin more than 40mph, as everyone thinks its a joke!