theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Cars Wanted

Closed Thread

Old 13-05-18, 09:54 PM   #11
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The most common area for rust at MOT time are the subframe mounts which are almost service items.
Old 15-05-18, 09:02 AM   #12
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Well - quite a way along the line towards a black, very low mileage, good provenence TF135. Good mechanical history but needs some cosmetic work apparently - mainly due to it being a "London" car - whatever that means. Collecting my boy early from 6th form as he has a free at the end of his day tomorrow to go and check it over, but unless it's in a bad way, it'll likely be here by the weekend.

Has brake and alloy(quite badly scuffed) upgrade with alcantara and factory black hardtop with protective case.

Ebay is terrible though and my tinkering gene has kicked in good and proper already and we've not even got it yet. An auction for a brand new set of 4 black, original 16" alloys was ending at £123 last night so stuck in a cheeky bid and stole them really so the car when it arrives will be treated to a nice set of brand spanking alloys. Will ensure it's got decent tyres to swap over or I'll get new ones, then badges, then .... then .... then ....
Old 15-05-18, 01:06 PM   #13
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

sounds good.

go for a long test drive if you can to make sure its not overheating. No mayo on the dipstick or under the cap.

Also check the clutch and gearbox all work as they should, The clutch release arm can corrode and get stiff.

Front subframe mounts brake pipes subframes for rust.

But I expect you know all that, good luck hope its a good one.

Can you check on the MOT past history, normally a good guide whats going on.

Old 15-05-18, 08:01 PM   #14
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
sounds good.

go for a long test drive if you can to make sure its not overheating. No mayo on the dipstick or under the cap.

Also check the clutch and gearbox all work as they should, The clutch release arm can corrode and get stiff.

Front subframe mounts brake pipes subframes for rust.

But I expect you know all that, good luck hope its a good one.

Can you check on the MOT past history, normally a good guide whats going on.

Yep - Thanks Pete. The mayo thing was on my to do list, but it has had the new uprated gaskets fitted recently with a receipt for £1300 for the work done which also included fitting a new window in the hood.

I've had a look on-line at a few and where the reg is visible, done checks on the MOT history. That is how I managed to talk him out of the sunspot one as it has a few mentions of various areas of corrosion that I just thought - nah not for us thanks.

The one we are looking at only had an advisory last year of some corrosion on one of the rear brake discs. No other areas of concern historically apart from tyre wear and the lights pointing in the wrong direction !

I'll try to go in with a critical eye, but I am just looking forward to going to look at a car with my son. If he likes it, we'll be bringing it home.
Old 15-05-18, 11:06 PM   #15
RudeDogg1

RudeDogg1 is on a distinguished road
I have a mk1 1.8 saloon for sale if of interest
Old 15-05-18, 11:18 PM   #16
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeDogg1 View Post
I have a mk1 1.8 saloon for sale if of interest
See how it goes with the TF tomorrow.
Old 16-05-18, 11:41 AM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
and All the belts hopefully were done at the CHG repairs, for £1300 I'd hope so.

Good Luck.
Old 16-05-18, 11:48 AM   #18
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
and All the belts hopefully were done at the CHG repairs, for £1300 I'd hope so.

Good Luck.
Receipt reads ;

Head gasket set £195, head bolts £38, head skim £65, antifreeze, oil and oil filter, timing belt kit £45, water pump, air filter and a rear window £195 - Totalled at £1479.
Old 16-05-18, 02:06 PM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

wow, seeing some are going for £500, this one seems a bargain.

All down to how it drives and goes .

Good luck with it.
Old 16-05-18, 10:13 PM   #20
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Well - Bodywork was shocking to be honest - confident that's why he never even cleaned it.

As it was - it struggled to start then he booted it and a massive plume of black smoke belched out before it ran for about 3 seconds and conked out.

We left - got a text later saying that he had mistakenly put diesel in it instead of unleaded -

Anyway - not for us. Shame - advert read well and it had good provenence as I mentioned, but I guess you just never know until you pitch up and have a look.

I really don't understand how people would expect to sell a car when it's presented like that .....

Rudedog - he far prefers the Mk2 I'm afraid - sorry
Closed Thread