AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-04-12, 10:51 PM   #1
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
What do I do....? Possible Insurance issue :(

My car was involved in 2 seperate "incidents" within 2 days in February

First one, smashed passenger window and paint damage to door = all sorted and finalised now

Second one, way back from Leicester, car pulled out infront of me at a roundabout in King's Lynn and missed its gear and I hit the rear quarter bumper of his car - caused a snapped grill and bumper damage to paint

The car was accessed and pre accident value at £1590!!!!!!!

Obviously I agreed, but the payment is being contested by the third-party after initially accepting full responsibility for the accident?!

Got a letter today saying that It's been classed as a total loss and I'm not sure if it's insured now????

Said I have 30 days to change car details or they will void the insurance

Now, I spoke to AI (Claims solutions) to say get a move on with this to be resolved!

Do I wait or purchase another car as Groupama (Insurance Company) will not insure a cat "D" motor vehicle??

Advise if you will, but I'm a little worried of not having an insured vehicle to drive

p.s am phoning in the morning to see what the score is........

Last edited by James Raby; 19-04-12 at 10:58 PM.
James Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 05:41 AM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I'd ask about the buy back cost and if they will give a refund on the remaining policy and consider chaning companies.

You can also consider the buy back and selling the car on, should still leave you plenty of cash to buy a replacment.
Old 20-04-12, 07:28 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Never been in the same situation as you so can't comment fully. All I can say is if written off and the car is with the garage or approved repairer/assessor then you relinquish any rights over it, you can't even remove any fixed items, you can only remove personal affects. Insurance is generally void once it has been declared as such in writing by the insurer. Do you have the car in your possesion? Which I doubt.
Old 20-04-12, 09:17 AM   #4
James Raby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Never been in the same situation as you so can't comment fully. All I can say is if written off and the car is with the garage or approved repairer/assessor then you relinquish any rights over it, you can't even remove any fixed items, you can only remove personal affects. Insurance is generally void once it has been declared as such in writing by the insurer. Do you have the car in your possesion? Which I doubt.
yep, car in my possesion and agreed a buy back at a massive (wait for it......) £239!!!!!! BARGAIN!!!!

So....been on the phone and still trying to get the right person
Old 20-04-12, 09:47 AM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
All the times I've filled out insurance details I cant remember being asked if its a cat B, C or D. They do ask for the value of the car, maybe that triggers some more questions if you were to put a low figure on it. If its MOT'd it must be deemed roadworthy, so seems a bit strange saying your insurance company wouldnt insure it.

Or maybe they are saying they dont want to take the risk on you!!!

Think I would try a few other insurers and if they are happy to insurer a cat D, buy it back, get a new grill and spray the bumper, and have a few ££££'s in the bank for your troubles.

Did you have a witness to the crunch on the roundabout???

Hope you get somewhere today with the phone calls.
peterzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 09:57 AM   #6
James Raby

It's just Groupama don't re-insure and CAT vehicles... fair enough really

Said the value is still 85% of pre-accident so no loss really, for 138k, it's worth twice what I thought LOL

Sent an email in the end as nobody knew aything about it LOL

All fun, got a replacement grill (3 of them) and made 1 good one with lots of superglue and a shiny metal grill (they're all gross)

The clips for the bonnet snap so easily at age

Bumper looks ok really, just scuff marks on it which puts you off after a bufty session
Old 20-04-12, 10:48 AM   #7
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
It's not JUST Groupama - Swiftcover don't either.

I found out this to my cost last year after I got taken out in my last but one ZR TD by an idiot in a Focut ST170. I got another ZD and transferred the insurance to that, but when it came to light that the original car had previously been Cat C'd, they retrospectively cancelled my insurance (even though I was now driving something completely legit), saying they should never have insured me in the first place. They also charged me a cancellation fee.

Then the new place that I insured with, who just happened to be the other driver's insurers, also charged me more for having been recently involved in an accident - even though THEY admitted liability!!! Watch out that your new insurers don't do the same to you - try a few "what if" scenarios when getting quotes, make a full disclosure then argue the toss.

Licensed fraudsters. Makes me mad.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 20-04-12 at 10:51 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-12, 11:21 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Raby View Post
yep, car in my possesion and agreed a buy back at a massive (wait for it......) £239!!!!!! BARGAIN!!!!

So....been on the phone and still trying to get the right person
Well done, at least you have it back.
Old 20-04-12, 12:50 PM   #9
James Raby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Well done, at least you have it back.
Agreed to buy back about 6 weeks ago, been running about in it since, just a very confusing letter but with no answers??