theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 02-07-15, 10:22 PM   #1
rover_ed

rover_ed is on a distinguished road
dark ice clutch

Are the clutch kits from dark ice any good im buying 1just want some feed back on it
rover_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 10:53 PM   #2
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
Good bit of kit fitted mine this arvo in about 2 hours Inc bleeding and and tea break, you can deffo see where the extra money went... Shame to be shafted £14 delivery but hey it's a heavy box
Old 03-07-15, 07:01 AM   #3
theboynoz

theboynoz is on a distinguished road
How hard is it to do your own clutch? Last one I had on the MK1 cost me loads but was done by Mr Clutch..... Only have the 120 if that makes a difference?

Drives:
ZS MK2 - XPG 120+, Climate Control, Leather/Alcantara, standard so long as you ignore the backbox, and brilliant fun to drive!
Mondeo MK3 LX - Silver, family runabout, 1.8 16v, standard, does the job!

theboynoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 09:15 AM   #4
6282tom

6282tom is on a distinguished road
I fitted the Dark Ice kit to my clutch about a month ago and not had any problems. The gear changes 'feel' smoother and it's nice to be able to change the bite point.

I changed from a non OE spec system (origin unknown) because the old hydraulics were leaking so I imagine the change from OE will be more noticeable.
6282tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 12:08 PM   #5
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Great bit of kit! Can't recommend highly enough

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 12:29 PM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboynoz View Post
How hard is it to do your own clutch? Last one I had on the MK1 cost me loads but was done by Mr Clutch..... Only have the 120 if that makes a difference?
The actual clutch is not difficult, you will need a clutch alignment tool (£4 or so from hellfrauds) and be prepared for some frigging heavy lifting if you don't have a gearbox jack as it is a box off job to do - But other than that its just manual work... But the last bit (heavy gearbox) is why 90% of people get a mechanic to do the job

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 02:55 PM   #7
theboynoz

theboynoz is on a distinguished road
I would imagine the weight to be similar to that of my old MK3 2.0ltr astra...... I did not change that clutch but I did watch as the gearbox was also replaced, so I am aware of the weight, but can it be done in my garage (good size no less) with trolley jacks and axle stands? Also my toolkit took a hammering during a flood in my last garage, so I would only have a decent socket set, some spanners, and the persuaders....(crow bar and hammer)?

Drives:
ZS MK2 - XPG 120+, Climate Control, Leather/Alcantara, standard so long as you ignore the backbox, and brilliant fun to drive!
Mondeo MK3 LX - Silver, family runabout, 1.8 16v, standard, does the job!

theboynoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 03:39 PM   #8
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
PG1 dry weight is around the 33kg mark I believe, you don't want that hanging off the input shaft!

As said above it's not an overly difficult job, saying that I did change my clutch and gearbox whilst the engine & gearbox was removed from the car. I'm sure that a trolley jack would be OK, but obviously the weight of the gearbox will be offset so it could get a bit unstable. If I was to personally change the clutch with the engine in the car, I'd be investing in a transmission jack. The last time I looked on Amazon they were around the £80 mark (for a Draper one).
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote