theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Parts Wanted

Old 13-01-13, 09:26 AM   #11
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Depending upon the glass specification used it has at least twice the density of polycarbonate in toughened form. In most instances the doors are removed of all hardware and internal skins so this coupled with the change to polycarbonate make considerable savings. However the main point here is the safety aspect where glass is removed just leaving the laminated front screen inplace. Polycarbonate being impact and shatter resistant.
Old 13-01-13, 10:07 AM   #12
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
I agree gents but you are way way ahead of yourselves. The boy is running a cheap track car, I mean cheap with every respect please don't take offence to that. Taking the glass out on this car and fitting polycarbonate at "this time" will make no noticeable difference. None. Time and money spent elsewhere will benefit the car far more.

When you get to the other end of the spectrum, grams make kilograms and every wire, nut bolt and dod of sealer counts. This is not the case here. Take a 4mm bit of poly against a window pain and there's hardly any difference.
Old 13-01-13, 12:59 PM   #13
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
No I agree, it is better spent elsewhere at this stage. When someone is at the point of chasing dead weight then this is a place to go as it'll be half the weight of the standard glass fitted.
Old 13-01-13, 02:41 PM   #14
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
I agree gents but you are way way ahead of yourselves. The boy is running a cheap track car, I mean cheap with every respect please don't take offence to that. Taking the glass out on this car and fitting polycarbonate at "this time" will make no noticeable difference. None. Time and money spent elsewhere will benefit the car far more.

When you get to the other end of the spectrum, grams make kilograms and every wire, nut bolt and dod of sealer counts. This is not the case here. Take a 4mm bit of poly against a window pain and there's hardly any difference.
true, it is a cheap track car, as most things on it have been either 2nd hand or bought at no great expense. with the idea of fitting polycarbonate, was to save weight overall, as I agree that just swapping a windows for perspex is no great saving, but with the chance to remove the electric windows and all the other parts that go with it there is a small saving to have, but if its at the cost of £200 then no its not going to happen, and the money would definitely be spent better else where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneekyparrot View Post
On there own they save a bit but u can't just look at a weight loss for the car and only change 1 thing, it just ain't worth it but strip the interior / electric windows / speakers etc etc and u can easily get the car around the 1000-1100kg mark.

Dump the abs and fit the lines inside the car, using a bias valve to control the rears for a start that setup weighs a ton!

I am pretty anal with this when I was building bikes, but with the vag I am starting at the front and working back. I am looking at every nut and bolt and bracket and what it does, if it ain't needed it comes off or is replicated in allot or carbon. If a bolt can be replaced with an alloy / ti item then it will be with only structural items being left as stock.
It's not for everyone and not everyone has these items to hand but u get my point I hope.

P.

I agree with you that if any weight can be saved, no matter how small, and if you have access to them at no, or little expense then why not? and that is my idea here, if its a job that can be done, and the cost is little then I think it should be done!

again the whole idea with the track car is cheep fun, good chance it wont end up with a set of cams and a fancy manifold due to cost, it will run pretty much standard with hopefully good brakes and suspension. so if any other gains could be had else where, then I'd be looking at they options.

cheers guys
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-13, 03:32 PM   #15
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally180 View Post
but with the chance to remove the electric windows and all the other parts that go with it there is a small saving to have,
you could fix the rear glass in place and remove all the mechs, and convert the front drivers to manual and keep the fr pass electric, this will save a few kg.
You would only save an extra 4kg by changing the glass to polycarb.

The ignition barrel weighs 2.5kg, easy to remove and replace with a couple of switches and a start button.

the door cards weigh 2.6kg and can be replaced with 3mm foamex weighing 600g and costing just a few quid.

theres plenty to be going at and easier places to save weight first.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-13, 03:44 PM   #16
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
I have a set of rear winding mechs you can have.just lying cluttering up the garage.might save a kilo or two.
Old 13-01-13, 03:46 PM   #17
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Couple of exlax the night before mate and you'll save the same amount of weight ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-13, 05:46 PM   #18
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Couple of exlax the night before mate and you'll save the same amount of weight ....
haha! that's the rule!! its a clean shave, no take-away food and wear as little as possible

all in the name of saving weight! lo!
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-13, 07:16 PM   #19
OllieZS

OllieZS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
you could fix the rear glass in place and remove all the mechs, and convert the front drivers to manual and keep the fr pass electric, this will save a few kg.y
You would only save an extra 4kg by changing the glass to polycarb.

The ignition barrel weighs 2.5kg, easy to remove and replace with a couple of switches and a start button.

the door cards weigh 2.6kg and can be replaced with 3mm foamex weighing 600g and costing just a few quid.

theres plenty to be going at and easier places to save weight first.
Mark,

How would you fix the rear windows in place?

Regards

Ollie
OllieZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-13, 07:26 PM   #20
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Bond them