theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 05-01-14, 07:38 AM   #101
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Nice lucky find then, I prefer the 45 vent rings too, they feel better to operate too IMO.
I'd agree about the operation, defiantly turn more smoothly. However I always leave them closed so it makes little odds.

P.S. You win the prize for reply 100.
Old 05-01-14, 09:30 AM   #102
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I'd agree about the operation, defiantly turn more smoothly. However I always leave them closed so it makes little odds.

P.S. You win the prize for reply 100.
I'm the opposite, mine are near always open lol.

I shall wait patiently for my telegram from the auld yin now
Old 11-01-14, 01:27 PM   #103
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Just tried the new soldering iron on the heated screen tails - not heating enough to melt the solder, thinking this can't be right I tried it on some other cable and boom, soldered in 10 seconds, I guess the heated floor cable must be treated to dissipate heat quickly - ebay here I come for some more suitable cable.
Old 15-02-14, 11:34 AM   #104
talkingcars

So I bought some 40amp cable - just tried soldering it but it's still not taking it, possibly because the wind is a tad strong! Gonna shot to the local factors and buy some crimp terminals!

On the plus side, I've eventually wired up the MGF mirror.
Old 15-02-14, 11:50 AM   #105
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Crimp terminals should give you a good sound connection.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 04:54 PM   #106
talkingcars

but I`m after an electrical connection.......

I wanted soldered connections as they are less prone to damp problems.

-------------------------------
posted from my TV
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-14, 05:01 PM   #107
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I see what you did there.

Old 19-02-14, 04:49 AM   #108
talkingcars

Well, that went well, not!

Got the cable for the heated screen all in place - both sets of tails crimped and run through the grommet for the wiper wiring, through the bulk head to the inner fusebox, then under the dash and out of the other bulkhead grommet to the engine bay fuse box along with a trigger wire for the relays. I then connected the relays next to the inner fusebox and the cables to the engine bay fuse box as per Petes "how to".

Everything was done and the tools away by 5pm. The relays were clicking on and off when I operated the HRW switch and the front screen heated.

At 10.30pm we went out to collect my daughter and friends from the airport, dropped the other two home and got back here for about midnight - the screen worked well.

Then at 6am I got in the car for work - the battery was completely flat, not even enough charge for the clock! Jumped it and drove to work where I disconnected the main power lead and the relay & fuse for the HRW. At 4.30 when I finished the battery was just as dead.

Jumped her again and drove home - disconnected the switching lead to the relays and now have no more battery drain!

So I guess I'll be looking at relays on Saturday.

On the plus side - I emptied the boot for the girls luggage - I'm sure the car is quicker.
Old 19-02-14, 07:52 AM   #109
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Have your relays failed ?

Old 19-02-14, 08:54 AM   #110
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
A misplaced constant live perhaps or a dodgy relay