theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-04-14, 12:49 PM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Smoking!

Well that was a short Bank Holiday trip in the zed, funny smell coming from the car and some juddering. Then under braking it was squirming a bit so pulled over into a cul-de-sac and from the offside wheel arch bellowing smoke! Seized brake caliper, nearly on fire! Strange as Goodwood was hard on the brakes but survived okay and did the round trip to Longbridge, you never know what's around the corner! So for the second time in 9 years it was recovered back home by the AA (1st was the clutch slave).

SO does anyone have any quality ideas on brake upgrades, nothing bodgy please as looking for an upgrade after Goodwood where I found the limits of the standard set-up even with Mintex, DOT 5.1 and stainless hoses.
Old 21-04-14, 01:14 PM   #2
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
I'm going for the brembo conversion.
Maybe something to look into or gbe do a wilwood conversion do they not?
And I'm sure ATR/ITR fronts would go on somehow.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-14, 01:57 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Are you looking for a caliper upgrade or just a stronger pad/disc combo?
Old 21-04-14, 02:01 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Mick try pull the caliper off and pump the piston to nearly out, had ome last week that was just dirty and that was why it wouldn't go back on, same thing brakes smoking, 2 mins with some wd40 and a brush and all was good
Old 21-04-14, 04:42 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I need to look at going 4 pot now that I have hit the wall with the OE set-up, I do not think a change of material will give me that extra confidence, however I will try it first before writing them off.

Yes I will strip and clean them regardless as it was fine on the round trip to PoL so may have picked something up.
Old 21-04-14, 05:33 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I would say Brembos, that's based on cost, performance, and durability, other kits are available from GBE, and Reyland.

The Brembo kit is not a 100% direct swap, you may need wheel spacers and extended studs if your wheels won't clear the calipers, when I fitted mine I wanted to keep the mk2 11 spokes, the problem is they have no clearance without spacers, life would have been a lot simpler if I'd used wheels with more clearance, something like OZ Ultralegs, or Superlegs would have probably fitted without spacers and longer studs.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-14, 05:53 PM   #7
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Happened to me once on a trip from Bristol to Salisbury. By Bath the front pads were smoking pretty bad, managed to drive the remaining 40 odd miles on purely engine braking and the handbrake! lol

I'd recommend the brembo setup although believe you may have clearance issues with the mk1 wheels.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-14, 06:29 PM   #8
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Just as it was back on the road lol.....It was trying to keep up with Pete on theM40 that did it.......................................
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-14, 07:04 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

I have Pro Race 1.2s so should have enough clearance I would have thought?
Old 21-04-14, 07:16 PM   #10
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The 1.2's look very promising for clearance.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote