theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 10-04-12, 02:44 PM   #161
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
Sad times... hope you'll get it sorted soon enough.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 02:54 PM   #162
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Shame Pete, my clutch keeps on threatening to do something, but if I stop giving it too much torque it seems to get better!!!

Have priced up a replacement, just in case.
peterzs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 03:03 PM   #163
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
the plus side is that due to the fact i am only getting 270lbsft i probably dont need to get another paddle - so something slightly 'nicer' should be able to be fitted...

and yes i am looking at it with cloud and silver lining pserspective s otherwie i think i would cry lol
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 07:42 PM   #164
Sonic_160zr
Events Organiser England

Sonic_160zr will become famous soon enough
Gutted for you Pete, the car isnt making it easy for you is it! dont think ever managed to bump into you at PoL yet! Hope you get it sorted soon! Ill be back down south sometime soon so we should organise another SW meet.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 11-04-12, 09:50 AM   #165
Huffy

Huffy is on a distinguished road
I've had my Kevlar clutch for two years now, and its done about 35k not a single slip? my torque is a little lower however ?

may be worth looking into......

MONTY

MK2 ZS160d+ SDi A Kind of Magic, Puff of smoke and I'm gone!

Engine - SDI, Kestrel Kevlar Clutch & Lightened Fly wheel, AAS De-Cat, Rover Ron MAf,
Cotton Green K4.80 Air filter, Roose Motorsport Turbo Pipes. Custom Stainless Turbo Outlet, AAS Full Stainless custom Exhaust!

Toyo Proxie t1R's, Front and Rear ZS 180 Brakes, Drilled & Grooved Disks, Mintex Pads. Moto-Build Springs

ICE - Sony BTX3600u Head, Bluetooth ODBII, Android Torque App. Forza USB!

30psi Boost Gague

MGZS TsDi :Smoke if you've got one!!!

157bhp / 242 ft/lb
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-12, 10:55 AM   #166
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I was probably going to look at the next stage down friction plate on the helix side and re-use the cover - if possible.

the paddle clutch only lasted 45k miles - but that is 'average' for these...

I still have to remind myself that even with all my issues the car still does decent mileage, so wear and tear items will need to be changed as and when.

I had just hoped that it would last a bit longer than it did.. ah well. i wonder if any of my clutches will last beyond 50k as none have in the 95K miles the car has currently done
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 11-04-12, 10:58 AM   #167
p_b82
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_160zr View Post
Gutted for you Pete, the car isnt making it easy for you is it! dont think ever managed to bump into you at PoL yet! Hope you get it sorted soon! Ill be back down south sometime soon so we should organise another SW meet.

Cheers,
Matt
I know Matt - i been planning on going for the past 3 years and everytime something comes up. Maybe she just hated her time in Brum originally and doesn't want to go back there..... (the car was registered to a MGR person working in Brum before i got it).

in the 9 months after it came out the factory it had the gearbox opened (and 5th put on backwards) and the winsdcreen replaced - badly... amongst a whole host of other 'treats' Matt has found over the years

let me know when you next down this way and hopefully i will be there - if not in the ZS then the fester lmao
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 19-05-12, 06:29 PM   #168
p_b82
Site Supporter

well after a run of work matt finally got his nose into the g'box today and found that the clutch is fubar - technical term i think

looks like a spring got thrown out the central plate and wreaked havoc on the rest of the clutch. the cover has been badly scored, the other springs could be turned by hand - and there was a huge amount of dust/corrosion build up inside - which was un-expected.

Also the release arm had siezed solid - which considering it was only free'd up 50k miles ago was quite odd... not the cause of the failure but was a contributing factor in the rapid demise at the end.

Also the hydraulic had popped the slave again - but that was probably just at the clutch died a death - and the fluid did not leak past the gator this time; but a quite seal rebuild and it is good to go again!

Typically though - the friction plate had a lot of meat left on it - so if it weren't for the springs giving up things would have been fine for a while longer....

Annoyingly as the cover is damaged i need new full clutch kit - but the flywheel avoided taking any damage.... going to go for a step down in aggressiveness either back to a more normal round plate or a weaker cover as i am not hitting the torque levels originaly expected....

On the pressure side still no news to report - the boy wizard making the box of tricks has had a issue with his programmer burning the chips out and so that is also currently on hold til he can get that sorted - dont want to plug something in that is tempremental!

one day.... just one day i might be able able to say this project is finished
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 20-05-12, 10:13 AM   #169
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Makes my latest problem of changing the heater resistors, small change.

Sorry its done the cover in, least it saved the flywheel and is a relatively straightforward but costly fix.

Hope he sorts the pressure side soon.

All the best with it.

Old 20-05-12, 10:20 AM   #170
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
was just thinking about this, hope its on the road soon