theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 31-07-08, 10:10 PM   #51
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Re: noise from car, could be the lack of resonator box making a hissing noise. The resonator is that, it's there to dull the induction roar.

Important:If it has been removed what is the air filter piped to from the bottom of the OE airbox? Is the lower horizontal pipe still attached to the bottom of the airbox? I only ask because if there is nothing there, then the inlet is at water level! The induction must be free from water ingress, therefore an open hole low down will suck water in big time and you will suffer hydralock, a scrap engine.

Full OE kit is as this:

Resonator to the left, airbox to the right, connecting pipe between the two.
Old 31-07-08, 10:39 PM   #52
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
Stamford, thanks for letting me know. I will get a check done tomorrow and see if there is a hole there. If there is can I just get a piece of pipe to replace the resonator? effectively?

I won't have time to source one for tomorrow!

EDIT: IF I can just get a pipe, could you tell me the diameter of each that is needed?

Thanks!
Old 01-08-08, 02:06 AM   #53
DeMoNPauL

DeMoNPauL has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Didn't have to hear the accent here

Its quite obvious by his nick
DeMoNPauL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 07:45 AM   #54
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
If you still have the airbox and lower pipe fitted and no resonator, then get yourself some tumble dryer hose and attach it to the exposed pipe using jubilee clips and tank tape to seal it off. The other end needs to be tied up inside the inner wing up near the headlight/bumper join line.

That should do you for some time until you change it for something of better qualit. In the meantime it is a half decent budget mod and was my first one btw, you get a nice little roar too!
Old 01-08-08, 08:05 AM   #55
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
If you still have the airbox and lower pipe fitted and no resonator, then get yourself some tumble dryer hose and attach it to the exposed pipe using jubilee clips and tank tape to seal it off. The other end needs to be tied up inside the inner wing up near the headlight/bumper join line.

That should do you for some time until you change it for something of better qualit. In the meantime it is a half decent budget mod and was my first one btw, you get a nice little roar too!
Mick,

do you mean I don't have to have a pipe to replace the resonator box? I can just have a pipe going from the airbox then tied up somewhere behind the bumper out of harms way?

What about the hole from the other end of the resonator box? are you saying tape this up?

Sorry I'm slow on these things
Old 01-08-08, 08:52 AM   #56
stamford
Site Owner

I'm off out soon, day off, so I'll try a mod a photo for you.

The photo I posted minus the resonator box (which you don't need) include the lower horizontal pipe. From the open end which would have gone to the resonator box place your hose on this then tie the other end up inside the wing roughly where the headlight sits at its bottom edge. Basically bypassing the resonator box/position.
Old 01-08-08, 09:03 AM   #57
rbull51

rbull51 is on a distinguished road
do you have a before and after picture of your car??? would be interesting to see them.
rbull51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 09:20 AM   #58
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I'm off out soon, day off, so I'll try a mod a photo for you.

The photo I posted minus the resonator box (which you don't need) include the lower horizontal pipe. From the open end which would have gone to the resonator box place your hose on this then tie the other end up inside the wing roughly where the headlight sits at its bottom edge. Basically bypassing the resonator box/position.
Ahhh gotcha

Now I understand

Cheers bud!
Old 01-08-08, 09:21 AM   #59
Phate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbull51 View Post
do you have a before and after picture of your car??? would be interesting to see them.
Not yet, going to give it a damn good clean tonight and then take some piccys.