theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 02-01-15, 10:34 PM   #1
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
180 Track Car Build

As promised, this is the thread for the new track toy.

As I'm sure some of you know, I also own a highly tuned diesel ZS however it is the result of 4 years work and progress so I couldn't bear to risk blowing it up on a track day, plus it is far too straight to risk a ding!

So a few weeks ago I ended up with a 180 to do that job.

The initial problem I had was this is also too good to track so I was in a bit of dilemma, do I sell it on and find a suitable shed or do I make the most of a shell/ platform which I will struggle to improve on. Needless to say, I had fallen for the new car so decided to go ahead with the plans.

A bit about the car itself...
Its a 2003 registered 180 hatch in Platinum silver
Despite this reg date, it was built in 2001 making it pre project drive. The build quality is so much better than the later cars (another reason i was reluctant to track it).
Just 1 previous owner on the log book
Full service history with absolutely everything its ever had documented. So much paper work!
Even a receipt for almost £1400 for a huge service it had including belts etc and the original bill of sale along with all the old tax discs and MOTs etc.
Immaculate interior.
Pulls really well.

Anyway, some pics from the day I picked it up from Callum (Skillen).

The non-identical (for now) twins.

With the journey home completely trouble free, the next job was to get some baseline power figures so on Christmas eve I headed over to WG tuning.

To be fair I think the figures are a bit optimistic for a standard car never the less, they confirmed my gut feeling that shes a healthy one. I was chuffed!

So we had our baseline power run, now we needed our baseline track day so Blyton park was booked for a very cold and frosty 28th December.

The car completely outdid any expectations I had of it. Kept up with some cars you would expect to be a fair bit quicker such as stripped out Clio cups, 328i to name a couple. Safe to say I wasn't slowest on tack by a comfortable margin.
At this point the only changes to the car are a wheel change for track only (still on the silver wheels for road) and removal of the rear seats, carpet and parcel shelf.

Arriving at the track:

On the track:

Leaving the track:

Much more to come, watch this thread

Last edited by ZS Phil; 02-01-15 at 10:37 PM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 10:02 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Thanks for the post, sounds like a good buy and a healthy car to start modding.

Old 03-01-15, 10:39 AM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Another track car ... it's catching !

Great healthy car to start with - great on track pic too.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 10:56 AM   #4
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
It is so weird to see it with someone else but I'm glad you're enjoying it!
I always thought it pulled well so it's good to see it was healthy and it wasn't just me and placebo.

It felt so much better with the exhaust and ITG too.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 12:53 PM   #5
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Can't wait to see some more progress mate

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 08:41 PM   #6
ZS Phil

Got the car up on the ramps on Sunday and started to make her mine.

First job was a swift oil and filter change. The service history said it was only done in summer but after thrashing round Blyton I felt she deserved it.

Given it was built in 2001, the underside is in very good condition, from my experience the early cars are so much better in terms of build quality.

Next on the hit list was the oil catch tank plumbing. It has obviously been fitted for years, Callum said he never emptied it over his ownership so this is the sum total of what it will catch plumbed into the larger breather (sweet FA):

Engine bay before:

Wrong breather, wrong colour:

Correct colour:

Correct breather:

Engine bay after:

Next job was the exhaust...

Nom nom nom

Out with the old

In with the new...

Custom de-cat pipe
Scorpion center section
Janspeed X-Power back box

Unfortunately ran out of light for a fitted pic.

As a final point, the standard baseline RR graph perhaps wasn't as standard as I thought. No resonator box fitted!! Glad I've not been through any deep puddles!

Old 06-01-15, 09:16 PM   #7
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Oops! The resonator was my fault!! It's in the shed
I took it off when I did the ITG and sorted the fog lights due to moss growing and I forgot to refit lol!
It was on the to-do to make it standard again but didn't have time to do it one day and then forgot! Sorry about that!
Do t think it'll make a huge difference to power anyway not sure about puddles lol.

I never checked that catch tank! Assumed it worked because the ITG was never covered in oil when I checked lol.
Good find! Always thought that was meant to be like that as it said that it was fitted in the dealership! Shows how much the dealer knew!

How's the exhaust sound?
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 09:42 PM   #8
ZS Phil

No worries no harm has come from it and I'm sure it can only make the induction sound better. The rest of the intake will be removed as soon as poss anyway to make room for the CDA I've ordered and the custom hose which I can hopefully get made.

The catch tank wasn't doing any harm either, just wasn't doing anything really.

As expected, the exhaust sounds incredible. Seems to have a bit more torque low down since fitting it as well as revving much more freely.

The sound doesn't quite fit with a car that essentially looks like a Rover 45 with a spoiler to the un-trained eye, very 350Z like.
Old 18-01-15, 04:22 PM   #9
pervavore

pervavore is on a distinguished road
Hope to see more things going forward with your next build
pervavore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 05:38 PM   #10
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Do you have any need for a ITG panel filter Phil?

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote