theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 18-07-15, 08:56 AM   #121
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
Awesome!!!!

Think I might have to plan something like this one day.

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
jc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-15, 10:03 AM   #122
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Wow, road trip to end all road trips.

Great story and great pics.

Wish I had the guts to do it, even the planning would put me off.

Glad the car went well, just shows how good they are. Didnt look out of place anywhere.

Old 18-07-15, 11:24 AM   #123
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I saw it on FB, but these extra pics are mighty

And I thought my road trip to Norway* was going to be adventurous.... although granted mine is currently still at risk of HG blowing lol

I didn't get to the post office - but got a box ready for the injectors, so will get them sent Monday AM hopefully...

Epic trip though - rather Jealous

*Won't be happeneing now as friend I was going to visit is moving back to Sweden
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-15, 08:35 AM   #124
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Not jelous at all - you need to name the countries or you didn't go there!

What sort of accomodation were you using?
Did you book it beforehand?

Your stats make our euro road trips in the F look pathetic, but we can only get 2 weeks off work at one time so it becomes a bit restrictive and this year was the first time we've gone for 2 weeks.

I think the closest we've come stat wise was
7 days
3500 miles
8 countries
13 border crossings
1 largest bridge in europe
1 longest tunnel in the Alps
3 laps of F1 circuit (Monaco 2 weeks after so all the barriers were still up).

This year we had more time so drove to Naples and stayed there for a week.

My advice to anyone who fancies a euro road trip - do it.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-15, 07:49 PM   #125
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc600 View Post
Awesome!!!!

Think I might have to plan something like this one day.
Do it! As the MG slogan goes, "life's too short not too".

Glad we did it but could do with a holiday to recover from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Wow, road trip to end all road trips.

Great story and great pics.

Wish I had the guts to do it, even the planning would put me off.

Glad the car went well, just shows how good they are. Didnt look out of place anywhere.

Cheers Peter .

Yeh, the car did well considering its age and mileage. A chaffed pipe and a master cylinder could go on any make or model of this age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
I saw it on FB, but these extra pics are mighty

And I thought my road trip to Norway* was going to be adventurous.... although granted mine is currently still at risk of HG blowing lol

I didn't get to the post office - but got a box ready for the injectors, so will get them sent Monday AM hopefully...

Epic trip though - rather Jealous

*Won't be happeneing now as friend I was going to visit is moving back to Sweden
When you go to Norway, whatever you do, make sure you do "Path of the trolls" it was probably my fave part of the whole trip. Absolutely stunning. Geiranger is a must.

No rush with the injectors, the ZS needs to come off the road for a bit, I'm not quite happy with it at the minute to such an extent I'm looking at another "sensible" car whereby the 2 ZS's will be toys.

It needs bushes, brakes, a ball joint, indicators fixing, coilovers re-furbing and a bit of paint which the Swiss jet wash removed for me!
A gasket between the wastegate and manifold has just gone while I was setting up my new boost controller too.
All I'm saying is I wont be in a position to put your injectors in straight away I'm afraid. All these problems have become apparent literally in the last couple of days

Last edited by ZS Phil; 20-07-15 at 07:51 PM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-15, 08:00 PM   #126
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Not jelous at all - you need to name the countries or you didn't go there!

What sort of accomodation were you using?
Did you book it beforehand?

Your stats make our euro road trips in the F look pathetic, but we can only get 2 weeks off work at one time so it becomes a bit restrictive and this year was the first time we've gone for 2 weeks.

I think the closest we've come stat wise was
7 days
3500 miles
8 countries
13 border crossings
1 largest bridge in europe
1 longest tunnel in the Alps
3 laps of F1 circuit (Monaco 2 weeks after so all the barriers were still up).

This year we had more time so drove to Naples and stayed there for a week.

My advice to anyone who fancies a euro road trip - do it.
Your stats sound pretty much the same as ours if you double them- we were away for double the time though. Your trip sounds really good too.
I just re-read your post. 3500 miles in SEVEN days! Makes us look like we were messing about.

OK, since you asked!

1. England
2. France
3. Belgium
4. Netherlands
5. Germany
6. Denmark
7. Sweden
8. Norway
9. Finland (and Lapland)
10. Estonia
11. Latvia
12. Lithuania
13. Poland
14. Slovakia
15. Austria
16. Switzerland
17. Italy
Then back up through France.

We just took camping gear for when it was nice weather, if it rained we went on booking.com and found the cheapest place we could in a given area.

Nothing was pre booked other than the ferry crossings.
Old 20-07-15, 08:20 PM   #127
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
We just took camping gear for when it was nice weather, if it rained we went on booking.com and found the cheapest place we could in a given area.

Nothing was pre booked other than the ferry crossings.
As we do the euro trips in the MGF* we don't have room for camping gear, and Mrs TC hates camping so it's hotels all the way for us.

We have done the UK without prebooking but we're not brave enough to do this in Europe.

*except going to see the mother in law and of course we stay in her appartment.
Old 20-07-15, 08:28 PM   #128
talkingcars

Just shown Mrs TC this and she's asking what the weather was like on the northen part of the trip, i.e. Norway/Sweden/Finland (although she wants to see the northan lights which of course are not visible at this time of the year).
Old 20-07-15, 08:41 PM   #129
ZS Phil

Yeh, we really want to go back for the Northern lights... the price to pay for the 24 hour sunlight.
The weather in the Scandinavian countries was ok. Obviously it depends how far up you go as to how cold it will be but we just crossed into the arctic circle and went to the Santa Claus village. That is where the pic of the arctic circle sign was taken and you can see what Nadia was wearing. Probably about 13-15 degrees at a guess.
When we did the highest point of the "Path of the trolls" it was a bit cooler up there as you can see from the depth of the snow.

If you want to do the northern lights, the main "town" next to Santa Claus village is supposed to be a good place. There is a big glass viewing tunnel or a big hill (which is supposedly mosquito infested). The town is called Rovaniemi.

If you pre-book there are plenty of deals to be had with little wooden cabins which are basic but really well kept and clean. Suppose it's just a step up from camping.
Old 21-07-15, 11:26 AM   #130
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
When you go to Norway, whatever you do, make sure you do "Path of the trolls" it was probably my fave part of the whole trip. Absolutely stunning. Geiranger is a must.

No rush with the injectors, the ZS needs to come off the road for a bit, I'm not quite happy with it at the minute to such an extent I'm looking at another "sensible" car whereby the 2 ZS's will be toys.

It needs bushes, brakes, a ball joint, indicators fixing, coilovers re-furbing and a bit of paint which the Swiss jet wash removed for me!
A gasket between the wastegate and manifold has just gone while I was setting up my new boost controller too.
All I'm saying is I wont be in a position to put your injectors in straight away I'm afraid. All these problems have become apparent literally in the last couple of days
I've been swamped with work all day so not been able to get out yet either - I've got the injectors boxed, but will keep hold of them until you are in a position to test it. It might be that I am ready to try again sooner than you, so saves us a bit of postage.

ping me on FB or here once you are in a position to swap em in I reckon will be the best bet.

I think mine needs a new IC hose - it is looking like boost leak is not a long time away from happening - and where it is, will be a bumper off job I reckon!

The 'joys' of project cars
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote