theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 13-04-15, 10:42 PM   #1
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Free MGF

So the post on another forum read

Quote:
I have a T reg 1.8 that is available free to the first person who can collect it.

It does have some MOT and drives OK on the motorway and free flowing traffic.

The reason why it is free is that I don't want to get involved in a sale and then an argument about what was and was not explained, so it is free.

It overheats in traffic but not on the motorway even though both the radiator and cooling fans come on. Currently there is an airlock in the cooling system

The front tyres lose about 3psi per day

There is a squeel on start up and slowing down, it has a fairly recent new alternator belt, so this might be nothing.

Needs new rear window, has a temp bodge in place.

Speedo cable (probably broken), electic power stearing defaults to off in this case.

Someone both keen and who knows what he is doing may be able to get the car running OK, so I would that then sending it to the scappie.

Bye

Ian

So even if it was just scrap there was a profit to be made.

I borrowed the transit flat bed from work (with a full tank of fuel ), a triple axle 20ft trailer through my kids ex step dad (don't ask), picked my lad up at 6am on Sunday morning and hit the road - 150 slow miles later we were outside the P/O's house.

The first problem was as we drove the car onto the trailer it was bottoming out so I had the bright idea to raise the trailer noise by winding up the jocky wheel which worked, however the transfer of weight bent the jocky wheel post and it took half an hour to get it back in.

On the way back we went cross country so it was only 130 miles, I figured that the combo struggling to do 55 on the motorway and slowing on hills so would be even worse with the extra weight of the F.

Half way back we stopped for a coffee and stuck 25 litres of diesel in to get us back.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 10:48 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I decided to drop the car off at work as we have a slope I could back the trailer up to and unload, worked a charm.

We then took the trailer back, suprisingly neither my "mate" or his boss seemed too fused about the jocky wheel but I have offered to pay for a new one as it wont be much.

A quick lock around the car showed, apart from the above, that the clear coat on the front wings has failed, the same although not as bad on the bumpers, it needs a new tyre and a bit of TLC and a jolly good valet.

Good points are 4 months MOT, absolutly standard and the seats look brand new.
Old 13-04-15, 10:49 PM   #3
talkingcars

I'm not sure which way to go with this, sort it out and sell, give it to one of the kids for her 21st, use it as a track car or scrap.
Old 13-04-15, 10:54 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Sort it out then give it away for a 21st would get my vote.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-15, 10:58 PM   #5
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
love the colour. its good to have a project on the go but havent you already got enough to keep you busy until retirement?

i think of it was me id try to keep it standard and driving, fix the issues and take it out and enjoy it for what it is. but then, you already have an F dont you?
Old 13-04-15, 11:04 PM   #6
talkingcars

The only problem with giving it as a 21st present is that my step daughter says she likes her Oscar (her 1.1 R100 that whe got for her 17th) and she needs more than 2 seats sometimes.

All our cars are projects of 1 sort or another, if I'm selling it I hope to have it sorted by the May bank holiday (who am I kidding).

It is almost identicle to our other F and thats how I got around the depot manager, I told him my convertable got damaged over the weekend, he said I could park it in the warehouse in the evenings, nice chap.
Old 14-04-15, 08:08 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
See how far you get with the work and reassess it then, you may decide to finish it off and sell on, at least it is saved.
Old 14-04-15, 09:21 AM   #8
ShireRoller
RIP Adam

ShireRoller will become famous soon enough
Lovely little project!
L-series it!!
New SLK cdi meets MGF
ShireRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-15, 09:41 AM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Not bad for a freebie

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-15, 10:07 AM   #10
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Well done, he could have sold it scrap/spares but good for you.

Sounds a lot of work.