theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 17-01-13, 12:29 PM   #1
Witnes$

Witnes$ has a spectacular aura aboutWitnes$ has a spectacular aura about
Black and Orange Track ZS - winter weight saving

Well over the past few nights I’ve been chiselling away at the sound insulation that’s stuck to the floor pan of the ZS (neighbours must think I’m mental). I’ve been surprised how easily it comes of and to be honest I was expecting it to be a complete nightmare hence why it’s never been done until now. I am also surprised the sheer quantity of the stuff when it’s all bagged up, I bet there could be 6-8kg of the stuff when it’s all out, I’m bagging up what I can and will weigh it all once out, just for curiosity really.

The next plan is to sand the final bits smooth and spray the pan black than fit the ½ cage which at this moment will be orange. After this its cut out the webbing sections of the rear doors boot and bonnet to hopefully save a few more kg along with some poly carb rear windows. Only problem I can see is the weather .

The final plan for winter is getting the light fly installed with a potential torsion diff ready for the good weather this year.

Rob
Old 17-01-13, 12:43 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sounds like you have been busy, you going to RWYB???

Old 17-01-13, 01:44 PM   #3
Witnes$

Not as busy as I'd like due to sub zero temps. Whats RWYB?
Old 17-01-13, 02:49 PM   #4
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Some ZS's going to Santa Pod, Run What Ya Brung http://www.rwyb.co.uk/

April sometime I think.
Old 17-01-13, 04:56 PM   #5
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
iirc i removed 13 kilos from my hatch.
Old 17-01-13, 06:04 PM   #6
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witnes$ View Post

The next plan is to sand the final bits smooth
Rob
If you mean the final bits of sound deadening, it removes easy with tar and glue remover.
The more stubborn bits can be tackled by covering with a rag soaked in tar/glue remover, next day just wipe away.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 06:32 PM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
It's proberbly easier to lift the insulation when it's sub zero as it is brittle.
Old 17-01-13, 06:32 PM   #8
Witnes$

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Some ZS's going to Santa Pod, Run What Ya Brung http://www.rwyb.co.uk/

April sometime I think.
Ahh I see, the strip has never really interested me that much but for a social event I will certainly pencil it in if a few people are going. Guess it would be interesting to see what I can get from the ZS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
iirc i removed 13 kilos from my hatch.
Thats a lot better than I expected, take it that's the insulation not the panel sections being cut out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
If you mean the final bits of sound deadening, it removes easy with tar and glue remover.
The more stubborn bits can be tackled by covering with a rag soaked in tar/glue remover, next day just wipe away.
Thanks for that, will certainly give it a try once the last sections been attacked. I dont know if its he cold weather but it comes off really well only smears left really.

Any further weight saving to be had? Want to keep it road legal.
Old 17-01-13, 06:38 PM   #9
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witnes$ View Post

Any further weight saving to be had? Want to keep it road legal.
door cards for foamex saves 2kg per door, only 1kg saving for polycarb windows per door, ignition barrel is 2.5kg, replace with start button.
battery to rear, air con and heaters - fit a fan or heated screen - massive saving.
srs ecu/unit/bags & wiring can be removed, if the mot thing comes back, just rewire back of dash to light srs light.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-13, 06:53 PM   #10
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
no thats just sound proofing removal.
battery to boot will add weight because of the cables length, just do what i did and get a varley redtop 25 battery, weighs less than half the o.e battery.