theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 25-07-13, 09:43 AM   #111
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
The roof panel is a different pressing for sunroof cars, there was/is a guy selling a brand new oe sunroof assembly for reasonable money on ebay, the problem is modifying or replacing the existing roof panel.
There we go! Denied! Haha!
Doubt ill find a sunroofed saloon in xpg. If I do then the challenge is getting it off. And sourcing a sunroof headlining and getting it all fitted.
Be nice to just dump heat out of really!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13, 09:52 AM   #112
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
£171 for a roof panel + pop rivets and sealant

oops, forgot the link http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003343

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13, 10:01 AM   #113
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
It's fine haha don't worry it's all discussion!

I had a dash dimmer only switch. And that had only 3 wires from the back making a dim function easy to wire.
When I picked up the washer button it had all these:

Shouldn't be too bad with a wiring diagram and some patience!

I'd like a sunroof for completeness. And the fact my light has one blank in it still and I have the button for it spare.
But they fail a lot on the ZR's so don't think it would be wort risking.
Probably need a full roof panel.
Yep, that's what I remember - loads of wires and just about all of them red!!!
Looks like the Civics/Accords have the wiring all in place already, and you just plug in the swtiches and options to enable them.

Agreed, but then ZR's are a league apart in quality. I've had a look at a few older R400's, 45's & ZS's in scrappies - none of them seem to be rotting around the edges like the ZR's habitually do.

You definitely would need a full roof panel though - the structure is completely different. There’s less strengthening in it, while instead it has all the mountings for the sunroof mechanism.

The wiring goes up the driver's A-pillar, and there are drains in each corner. But once you had those out of the way, you could just unbolt the tailgate from the donor car, smash the windscreen out of the way, cut through the A, B and C pillars, then take it, headlining and all. I was quoted £40 for the roof panel and may even be able to get it cheaper than that. Nobody would normally (be daft enough to) touch them so it’s bonus income for any scrapyard.

After that the remains of the pillars and side panels just need to be ground off, so that you just have 2 straight, flat weld faces from front to rear. These are the ones normally found under the trim strips on the roof.

You could even get the replacement panel sprayed at this point because the only unsightly bit could be touched-up later and hidden by the trim strips.

Then in theory it’s just a “simple” matter of cutting the original roof panel out, cleaning it back to the same 2 weld lines, and welding the new one in place, possibly using the windscreen as a flat surface to gauge the correct position.

The worry could come when the old roof panel was removed. As it’s part of the monocoque the entire car could sag in the middle!!!

So now you know why it was a £525 optional extra. But if you budget £100 for spraying and “mate’s rates” for a bit of welding, you could do the entire upgrade for £200.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)

Last edited by Enright; 25-07-13 at 10:04 AM.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-13, 10:02 AM   #114
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
£171 for a roof panel + pop rivets and sealant

oops, forgot the link http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID003343
I was just looking at those on rimmers myself and just came to report back!

Is the crazy smiley crazy cheap or crazy expensive? Haha!

My roofs lacquer is peeling badly so needs a respray anyway! Plus the windscreen will be coming out for a heated screen too.
Wonder how much the sunroof mech is!

I need to slow down on my mods though I get carried away and fire through things quickly when the funds are there!

The brembodge is the most tempting lately and keeping an eye out for a LSD.

Sunroof can be a future mod when things start slowing and in looking for more ways to further the car

Last edited by Skillen; 25-07-13 at 10:06 AM.
Old 25-07-13, 10:59 AM   #115
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
lol, the crazy was for fitting the roof with pop rivets.

The heated screen is a top mod, well worth doing imo, although a bit spendy £££, Brembos, another good mod, torsen is worth doing, I'd put the torsen well ahead of the Brembo's though.

Old 25-07-13, 11:08 AM   #116
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-M...item519bc9b7aa

Old 25-07-13, 11:13 AM   #117
Skillen

Quote:
lol, the crazy was for fitting the roof with pop rivets.

The heated screen is a top mod, well worth doing imo, although a bit spendy £££, Brembos, another good mod, torsen is worth doing, I'd put the torsen well ahead of the Brembo's though.
Ahh right! Haha yeah it'd be welded.

Yeah just waiting on the delivery of it then ill take it to a body shop to get the roof done as there is a rust bubble on the leading edge so will need the top window trim off to repair that I expect so it can go in then.

I know the Torsen would be good but the group buy is going on now so don't wanna miss out.

And tbh I'd want to get a lightweight fly and a new clutch and a sheddist all going on at the same time so I think I'll take it slow and get those pieces together and maybe pay Goldie a visit with a nice trip up to Scotland.
Old 25-07-13, 11:15 AM   #118
Skillen

Ahh man that's a good sunroof price considering I bought brand new glass for my ZR's and it cost £150!
Old 25-07-13, 11:28 AM   #119
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

He's had it forever, so might be open to offers

Old 31-07-13, 08:46 AM   #120
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
Looks good, you got to trim much off the inner arch? Rubbing issues? Get some more pics!
Now I've had it mot'd and got chance to use it properly on the road I've noticed some rubbing issues.

Firstly glad to say that speed bumps have been fine with no rubbing at a normal speed.

The main running problem is dips in the road.
Mostly at speeds over 40mph any dip that causes the suspension to compress scrubs the wheels.

Now thankfully it's only been a few times on the way to work but back roads in Cumbria, while fun, aren't the best kept!

What's the best way to remedy this rubbing?
Tbh I am wanting it lowered too but this will obviously exacerbate things.

What have the people with the 8 and 9j wheels done?

Also got a brand new primed front grill for spraying and I'll then get to modifying the original to take the bars out at a later date.