theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-06-14, 03:11 PM   #1
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
Big Problem. need help with security

So I am at work todayand my phone goes, my neighbour tells me that he has chased off 2 guys who were inside my ZS, they had been through the boot, and were going through the glove box and ashtray when he gave chase. they made off in a golf MK5. I then blasted home on my motorbike, to discover no damage to the car, the remote control had been with me all day, and the doors were 100% locked this morning.
How have they gotten in? ( no damage at all.)
and if they have now got the remote sequence/frequency, what the hell can i do about it?
the wheels on my car are what the feds think they were after, ( 18 inch KEI Rims, with mint rubber) hence they left a laptop in the boot and 3 leather jackets, and were targeting something specific ( the locking wheel nut key we fear).

These B@stards are gonna come back i just know it, what can i do to keep em out?
ZSZRANDRF900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 03:16 PM   #2
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Did they set the alarm off, or not.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 03:58 PM   #3
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
no, they have opened the doors and not tripped the alarm
Old 09-06-14, 04:01 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Strange, when you locked it did you use the fob or the key, if you locked it with the key it disables the interior sensor.

Old 09-06-14, 04:11 PM   #5
ZSZRANDRF900

no with the fob.
Old 09-06-14, 04:19 PM   #6
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
If you want to disable the engine totally with a very simple thing: stand at the battery side of the engine bay, look down at the gearbox, there is a black wire above the box that terminates to a single spade connector on the engine, pull that off and the engine cannot be started. No tools required and takes less than the time you just spent reading this to do. Even with a key the engine is dead. Stick it back on when ready to drive, no clocks to reset or radios to tune.
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 04:23 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

Stranger still, I wonder how they managed to avoid setting off the alarm, does your horn work, if the horn isn't working breaking into the car will just make the hazard lights flash, but make no noise.

One thing you could do is buy another set of locking wheel nuts, so each wheel has 2 different types of lock nut, it might make them look for someone else's wheels to nick

Old 09-06-14, 04:34 PM   #8
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
When did you buy the car, just wondered if you have only just bought it the previous owner/garage could have a cloned key and fob.
Old 09-06-14, 04:41 PM   #9
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Stranger still, I wonder how they managed to avoid setting off the alarm, does your horn work, if the horn isn't working breaking into the car will just make the hazard lights flash, but make no noise.

One thing you could do is buy another set of locking wheel nuts, so each wheel has 2 different types of lock nut, it might make them look for someone else's wheels to nick
(Firstly - you need to get a bottle for your neighbour. Great to hear ! )

As Pete says - that's the one for securing the wheels - but you then need to keep them in the car and well hidden.

As for getting in - that's a tough one really. There are commercially available devices which will collect data sent from your fob to the car every time you lock it. Personally, I have no idea how to combat that other than to have deadlocks and padlocks on your doors like the white van boys.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 04:47 PM   #10
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Didn't the mk2 fob set have a randomising feature to the codes? Not sure you'd be able to steal the code from a device like that as once it's been used it's gone.

That said if you gather enough of the code from the same thing you can work out a randomising key (ala-software code generation) but again not sure that would work.

Good man to your neighbour! All mine are elderly and probably wouldn't even see it lol.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote