theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 22-07-14, 08:28 AM   #1
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
feeling old

Due to the vegetarians that run the City council highways department, and their decision to once again close all of the road tunnels in Birmingham for 6 weeks for spring cleaning, and the general carnage that then ensues due to 100 million ( most likely not insured) cars marauding about clogging up my commute to work and back, i decided to Cycle the 16 miles to work today. Now i am 47 next birthday, not fit, over weight and diabetic, but still enjoy a bit of a cycle about. My bike is possibly worth its weight in scrap so i was never going to set any land speed records, or even emulate the tour de garlic, so each time someone dressed as a sponsored wasp over took me going up hill on his £3 million pound Bordman special built from spufftanium by lotus, i just thought, 47 soon, fat and not fit, dont let it bother yu, just think of the £10 you save today on fuel. so you can imagine how heart breaking the humiliation is when a young piece of totty ( sorry girls, sexist i know) came past me, with a dog in the basket on her Nanny McFee special, I almost threw the bike in the canal and gave up. Oh well, a lot more down hill going home. not looking forward to it though, i feel like i have just taken my turn in the barrel !!!!
Old 22-07-14, 09:08 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

couple of weeks and you will be zooming along!!!

Old 22-07-14, 09:09 AM   #3
ZSZRANDRF900

ZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura aboutZSZRANDRF900 has a spectacular aura about
or in a ditch ha ha
Old 22-07-14, 09:13 AM   #4
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

long as she doesnt offer to put you in the basket!!!

Old 22-07-14, 09:16 AM   #5
shycho

shycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the roughshycho is a jewel in the rough
I've just started cycling to/from work once/twice a week. I'm 27, and not diabetic however i'm fairly certain I saw a pregnant woman pushing a pram up a hill faster than I was cycling.

The way I look at it is i'm having fun (on the down hill bits) and am doing myself some good so it's all worth it in the end.

Keep at it, and think of all the money you're saving which can then be spent on the car
shycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-14, 09:17 AM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Oops!!!
Old 22-07-14, 09:41 AM   #7
ZSZRANDRF900

my mate said, every day you cycle, stick a tenner in a drawer. if nothing else it'll buy a nice wreath. swine
Old 22-07-14, 10:29 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I know exactly what you mean! After having cheapish bikes I soon realised that a quality bike does make a huge difference. I ditched my last bike which I thought was decent, had suspension all around and disc brakes but god was it heavy going. I bought an old Specialized mountain bike and what a difference. Easier to ride, smoother and many kilos lighter. Makes light work of gradients, I'm 49 and just over 15st and it goes very well. I would suggest if you intend on making a go of this try a better bike. My one cost less than £200 from a bike shop who deals with quality used as well as new. These all singing and dancing cheap brands are not worth it at all, better off buying quality even if well used.
Old 22-07-14, 10:58 AM   #9
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
I'll second micks sentiments and that Boardmans bike is not too pricey depending on model. I got mine through my works cycle2work scheme and for the route I take its near perfect. Some hilly sections, all road/pavement and the hybrid set works well. A bit of speed (although on some of the downhills i could use an extra cog or two).
I have started cycling every day i can to work now to lose weight and have shed a stone so far, also i have started using an app called Strava which i find great for competing against myself and seeing times fall. I have only been using it about a week and some segments i am around 10 secs quicker for about a half mile distance
Old 22-07-14, 12:07 PM   #10
ZSZRANDRF900

i will look out for a decent spec 2nd hand one. i will need a hybrid set up as i am as old and siezed as the tin man from Oz. thanks for the advice