Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-07-13, 08:20 AM   #1
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 180 V6 View Post
He was a traffic cop.
Did they do the old good cop bad cop routine.
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 06:38 AM   #2
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
He's giving it charlie big potatoes mate....

In those circumstances - "I believe not officer - it was built for the car by a company called long life. It's for road use and has passed the MOT which as you know now includes a noise check" - in a non confrontational innocent tone - say nothing more, just answer questions with factual non-confrontational answers.

Even if an exhaust is blowing terribly, (and with other defects not covered or penalised by a straight 3 point endorsement - eg tyres) - an officer can report you for summons, but should also offer the "Vehicle defect rectification scheme". Basically you get 14 days to get the part repaired and then taken to a testing station for confirmation. They sign a slip which the officer gives you, you report to a police station with the slip, and the offence is then set aside and not proceeded with, the idea being that we get cars legally on the road, nice and safe, not just dishing out fines.

Trouble is that as with so many other inter-actions with officers, it doesn't matter what anyone says - there is a thing called "the attitude test" - and to be fair and if we are honest with each other - I think we all do it, no matter what business we are in when we interact with people.

And like in every profession - there are some people who are arses ..... you may have met one.

Last edited by Dan1971; 06-07-13 at 08:13 AM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:02 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Top post Dan.

Pity there are officers who have this attitude. Also a shame they abuse their powers when they know nothing of the legalities. I also would admit for me it would be hard to not be a tad offish when replying to such a claim if it were me that was stopped. I would then expect the Policeman in question to arrange for every performance store, company and fitting shop to be plundered and closed for illegal business activity. That sounds very over the top but in essence that is what he is implying.

When it comes to such scenarios how are we, the public, supposed to react and believe what they are saying? No good saying 'illegal' it must be backed up with a known law in print for us to accept. Next they will be pulling people over for having a bright paint job, 'sir your colour is illegal and hurts peoples eyes and confuses bees (read yellow here )

No doubt I will get pulled in mine if it passes the MOT with its 'illegal' Janspeed cat back and decat system. I fear the V6 will become muted

Plenty of high end cars out there with OE systems that are far noisier than ours. TVR are one that springs to mind, they are unique and well made systems. This will rattle on for some time as there is so much ambiguity in the argument.
Old 06-07-13, 08:12 AM   #4
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
Its a sad day when your worried about getting into your car and going for a drive
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:23 AM   #5
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Bottom line fellas is this ...

If the exhaust was illegal - you'd have been reported.

If you break the law - you will get stuck on. What some guys do is where they aren't sure they will warn.

Cops won't carry round legislation books to show you that under section 1 of the registration plate act - made that up by the way - your digits are 1 cm too close. What they will do is tell you that it's illegal and you then make your checks and decide whether you want to argue the point at court or not.

"Exhausts a bit loud mate - might be illegal" is a fair comment, but unless they are positive, you won't be reported for summons.

If you have a big bore exhaust bought from long life, powerflow, janspeed etc, which is for road use, you will be fine. If you knocked up a bit of metal tube and attached it to your manifold - you may well - and I'd say should - find yourself at court defending your position.

And beware the guy out alone in a panda. He might not be a traffic cop yet, but he may want to be, and by doing so may well know more than a traffic cop who's been doing it for 10 yrs. In many professions, the apprentice knows more about the theory than the experienced old hand ...
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:51 AM   #6
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
manufacturers don't make exhausts themselves anyway.

He probably pulled you to check you out (assuming he was traffic officer), officers will more likely pull certain types of cars or vans and more so at certain hours of the day or night. (sported up saxo driven at midnight may indicate young lad over legal limit), if he was panda car he was probably a clueless idiot.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 10:08 AM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Maybe we should all print this thread out and carry it with us.

Tell you what, Yellow ones are good for getting pulled.

Makes me laugh, when a grey haired old boy climbs out and the look on their faces.

But as Dan says, I'm always polite and friendly, yes sir, no sir, goes a long way.

Suppose its one of the draw backs of our cars.

Just have to make sure everything is 100%.
Old 06-07-13, 06:35 PM   #8
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
They just jealous. They have to drive round all day in a naff car, and are jealous of not having a ZS............................
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:42 PM   #9
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
They just jealous. They have to drive round all day in a naff car, and are jealous of not having a ZS............................
Apart from the ones in the scoobies/evos/T5's/ST220's
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 06:41 PM   #10
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Strangely I've never been pulled in any car.......

1) That sounds a little wrong
2) I've just jinxed myself.
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote