theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 05-07-13, 11:25 PM   #1
Adam 180 V6

Adam 180 V6 is on a distinguished road
The law on aftermarket exhausts

Hi, earlier on i was pulled by the police and he told me my exhaust was illegal, when i asked whats illegal about it he said to me "any exhaust thats not made by the vehicles manufacturer is illegal" the exhaust is a long life stainless steel exhaust and its not really loud it just gives a nice tone, its passed years of mot`s with it on and never a problem. I said to him i cant get a manufacturers exhaust from a manufacturer which doesnt exist anymore, (well it does but it aint the same MG) Anyway he said if he sees me again he will be fining me for the exhaust, Whats the law on after market exhaust as i believe hes just wanting to be an arse and hand fines out.
Adam 180 V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 11:40 PM   #2
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 180 V6 View Post
Hi, earlier on i was pulled by the police and he told me my exhaust was illegal, when i asked whats illegal about it he said to me "any exhaust thats not made by the vehicles manufacturer is illegal" the exhaust is a long life stainless steel exhaust and its not really loud it just gives a nice tone, its passed years of mot`s with it on and never a problem. I said to him i cant get a manufacturers exhaust from a manufacturer which doesnt exist anymore, (well it does but it aint the same MG) Anyway he said if he sees me again he will be fining me for the exhaust, Whats the law on after market exhaust as i believe hes just wanting to be an arse and hand fines out.
thats crap mate,ive had many exhausts on many cars,just make sure you declare it with ins etc
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 11:42 PM   #3
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
he's just being a arse... either you done something or he took a disliking to you. either way, if its declared your legal
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 11:42 PM   #4
Adam 180 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys1981 View Post
thats crap mate,ive had many exhausts on many cars,just make sure you declare it with ins etc
The exhaust is declared with insurance, if he fines me for it when he next sees me I'll be going straight to court with the case, he accused me of allsorts, "how do you afford to run a car like this you dealing?" Ermm no officer I work an awfull lot of hours
Old 05-07-13, 11:44 PM   #5
Adam 180 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cally180 View Post
he's just being a arse... either you done something or he took a disliking to you. either way, if its declared your legal
Was going down the dual carriageway at 55/60 mph, I'm not a yobbo in a fast car lol I take pride in my car but I get looked at like a boy racer
Old 05-07-13, 11:45 PM   #6
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 180 V6 View Post
The exhaust is declared with insurance, if he fines me for it when he next sees me I'll be going straight to court with the case, he accused me of allsorts, "how do you afford to run a car like this you dealing?" Ermm no officer I work an awfull lot of hours

my pal has never been pulled and now that he went and bought a focus RS he got pulled straight away trying to suss him out.

he's just putting the fear into you, but if your legit you have nothing to worry.
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-13, 11:49 PM   #7
WalkerDnB

WalkerDnB has a spectacular aura aboutWalkerDnB has a spectacular aura about
Seems abit OTT. my car had a long life cat back and sports cat it passed its mot and then a VOSA check after a write off with out any problems and this is only 4 months ago.
I know the police are starting to crack down on modified cars but I didn't think they were going that far. he didn't think it was de-catted did he?

Best bet is to contact VOSA and ask. Get them to email you with conformation if its legal to print off and carry round with you I would also make sure you have told your insurance company about any modifications as the police are starting to contact insurers to confirm they know about any modifications to the vehicle. If there not on there your insurance it technically void and they can do you for no insurance.

WalkerDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 06:27 AM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
He's talking crap, Manufacturers don't make there own exhaust systems anyway they buy them in

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 06:32 AM   #9
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Was he a real bobby or pcso? As retired sergeant and traffic cop he's talking utter crap. As long as it's within the decibel law you are ok.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 06:38 AM   #10
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
He's giving it charlie big potatoes mate....

In those circumstances - "I believe not officer - it was built for the car by a company called long life. It's for road use and has passed the MOT which as you know now includes a noise check" - in a non confrontational innocent tone - say nothing more, just answer questions with factual non-confrontational answers.

Even if an exhaust is blowing terribly, (and with other defects not covered or penalised by a straight 3 point endorsement - eg tyres) - an officer can report you for summons, but should also offer the "Vehicle defect rectification scheme". Basically you get 14 days to get the part repaired and then taken to a testing station for confirmation. They sign a slip which the officer gives you, you report to a police station with the slip, and the offence is then set aside and not proceeded with, the idea being that we get cars legally on the road, nice and safe, not just dishing out fines.

Trouble is that as with so many other inter-actions with officers, it doesn't matter what anyone says - there is a thing called "the attitude test" - and to be fair and if we are honest with each other - I think we all do it, no matter what business we are in when we interact with people.

And like in every profession - there are some people who are arses ..... you may have met one.

Last edited by Dan1971; 06-07-13 at 08:13 AM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote