AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-07-13, 07:29 AM   #1
mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk

mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk is on a distinguished road
Noisy manifold.

Guys, don't know if anyone can help?
I have an '02 180 with a noisy (tappety) inlet manifold.
My mechanic replaced it with a '98 model he had lying around with the same part no.
Fine, and helpful, but can anyone tell me - is the noisy one repairable????
I am in the Southampton area.
Many thanks,
Martin.
mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:44 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Firstly

Not repairable even though some have looked into it. This is assuming it is definitely the plenum that is faulty and not mistaken for faulty vis valve mechanisms. The '98 plenum model intrigues me, didn't think there were any in circulation then?
Old 06-07-13, 07:47 AM   #3
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Firstly

Not repairable even though some have looked into it. This is assuming it is definitely the plenum that is faulty and not mistaken for faulty vis valve mechanisms. The '98 plenum model intrigues me, didn't think there were any in circulation then?
could it be from the ZT190/160?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:04 AM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
could it be from the ZT190/160?
A '98 model would be an 'S' reg, not even the 75 was out then, unless there were 2.0 KV6 in the 400s? Which I doubt, but I may have missed a model somewhere having this set-up. Could be a pre-production model with that year stamp that found its way onto the market?
Old 06-07-13, 08:20 AM   #5
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
wouldn't they have been in production at some point in 98 tho?

you can get an 'S' plate 75?
Old 06-07-13, 08:25 AM   #6
Mark S

if the manifold has the torx screws holding on the bonded section on base of mani, then its general production.

The pre-production ones did not have screws, and pre-production also tried a different spark system/order on start up, one of the test cars ignited the fuel left in the engine from night before and blew off the base of the mani (pre-production didn't have torx bolts, just bonded), in view of this rover changed the spark order on startup and added the torx bolts to main production of mani's

just remembered that story from a chap I met who worked on the 75's at the time.
Old 06-07-13, 10:40 AM   #7
mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk

mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys.
Don't know what the fault is, so, if it's the vis valve mechanisms, it's repairable?
He said he took the manifold from a 6 cylinder engine he was using.
I believe the 825 used a KV6?
mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 10:53 AM   #8
Mark S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson@gotadsl.co.uk View Post
Thanks guys.
Don't know what the fault is, so, if it's the vis valve mechanisms, it's repairable?
He said he took the manifold from a 6 cylinder engine he was using.
I believe the 825 used a KV6?
certainly did, that was a better design and was alloy, further any vis probs were usually sticking mechs which a squirt of wd40 would solve.
Sadly though, the 800 mani is not a direct swap, so it will not be from the old 800.