theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 16-07-08, 06:13 AM   #31
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
and http://home.btconnect.com/talkingcars/T16con.htm is my statment on my own personal experience, I would stand up in a court of law on it!
Old 16-07-08, 06:18 AM   #32
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoNPauL View Post
Ross that aint true

I myself try to make everyone welcome.
I know that Paul, but like has been said before it only taks a few people being silly to ruin it totally. I never had a problem with the site for a long time but as soon as the site changed owners all those years ago, I think the general feeling on the site changed for the worse.

I don't like the way the place is going personally, and I enjoy the laid back feeling here. I don't know if it is suffering in the same way as theMGZR.co.uk is with the influx of new young drivers due to the lower 2nd hand values these days... but there is a deffinate change in the air

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 08:03 AM   #33
Stevedx

Welcome along Bob
Old 16-07-08, 09:32 AM   #34
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ask Matt C what the likes of Jerry flint,Leda and many more i could mention put into building the MG community.
There seems to be a lot of negativity towards XPF at the moment and in many respects i can understand why - Ross picks up on my major reason and that is there's too many young kids thinking they know it all and bringing their limited knowledge and inflated attitudes along. All that does is wind-up the older guard who helped make it the giant it is now.

Some background info on XPF. In late 2001 a gentleman i am proud to call a friend called Jerry Flint went to a BTCC race and met up with another gent callen Kev Neal (cousin of Matt Neal) and along with a few others decided to turn what was Jerrys basic blog about running his Rover 75 into a website dedicated to the new breed of MG's : The Zed range. Regional meets were organised and soon the members came flooding in. An online gallery was created which to this day is one of the nets largest car-based gallerys - an achievement in itself. I was one of the very early members and helped with regional meets and BTCC events, often getting convoys of 75+ cars.

I then started working for MG's works BTCC team on the merchandise/display stand. This gave further relationships between MG and XPF with Jerry and me often visiting the factory. In 2004 we sponsored not only Jason Hughes maiden season in a ZS but also WSR who were now running 2 ZS's independantly with no MG backing. We then ran a raffle to help WSR's race programme even further. Jerry personaly went out and bought a brand new MG TF for the raffle prize - sheer dedication to the marque. The raffle was a huge success and we gave WSR thousands. (this is why you will find a lot of BTCC supporters who used to support the MG's now support WSR's 2 orange BMW's !)

Then in 2005 when the sad news of Longbridge closing it's doors reached us we immediatly reacted. The owners of Leda suspension, Beverley and Andy Miles made it their mission to show and give support to MGR's hard and loyal workers by organising a convoy to Longbridge. A few of us negotiated with the local authorities for Police assistatance (which we got - including a junction of the M42 being shut to allow us through !) and we even had BBC, ITV and Sky news involved. The rally was a huge success, we had hundreds of cars in convoy and raised thousands once again.

Following this, feeling and morale was low on XPF and Jerry decided he wanted to step down. By this time XPF was a business in it's own right and needed someone to step in, not only with money but with a hosting package and knowledge of running a site. A few of us tried to get a rescue package together but it failed and eventualy it was Steve Childs who stepped in.

It was here that many of us felt let down as we felt that he bought his own army of moderators in, wiping us out with complete disregard for the years of hard work we had put in.
In the meantime Beverley and Andy Miles formed a new website, Brit-cars.com and Jerry formed his own going back to his motorsport routes, Sportscar-racing.com. All the old guard from XPF ended up as members of either one or both - i'm on both, admin on Sports-car as well as a moderator on Jerrys other MG website.

Some of us still frequent XPF but it doesn't seem the same. We try to add our knowledge and input but it's rarely appreciated and then the fact that RSM is allowed to roam free is an insult to us who did our best to make sure he would never scam another MGR owner again. I'm glad there are still big supporters of XPF and i still have respect for it and great memories of what we achieved. I spend most of my time here and on Sportscar-racing.com but i would like to add that i think it's wrong for those who don't know about XPF, it's background and what was achieved to go knocking it and slagging it off. It may be run in a vastly different way to how we used to know it but it's still the largest independantly run MG website in the world and the wealth of collective knowledge there is unrivalled and unchallenged by any other MGR website.

Sorry for the length of this post and for hijacking Bobs thread !

Last edited by Mat C; 16-07-08 at 10:54 AM.
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 10:47 AM   #35
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

How is that?

What do you know about XPF??

Before you sprout off i suggest you look into the history and what people in the past put into it etc.

Ask Matt C what the likes of Jerry flint,Leda and many more i could mention put into building the MG community.

Ok XPF is not everyones cup of tea but there is some of us who try to keep it inline with what it was in its heydey.
Jesus christ dude calm down, practice what you preach!
its was just a comment....freedom of speech is one of gods great gifts
so chill out dude, no-ones really laying into the XPF too harsh, its not a bad website, im a member so i do know i was commenting that the atmosphere on here is alot more laid back and not so serious all the time...people on here seem alot more personal and more my cup of tea....so chill out bud, have a beer

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 01:01 PM   #36
Witnes$

Witnes$ has a spectacular aura aboutWitnes$ has a spectacular aura about
R 8 Bob what you been up to now? lol. .Org is ***** and completley over moderated, one words slightly non PC and you get a nasty PM so nowt to worry about there, I would be slightly pissed about XPF tho. By all accounts this Steve Childs is a ****!

Rob

Last edited by Witnes$; 16-07-08 at 02:07 PM.
Witnes$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 01:13 PM   #37
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I was half expecting this, it's a real shame when we have to read negative opinions on other forums. I just wished that people would be diplomatic in what they say so as to not create an atmosphere as witnessed here.

What I do not want to see is a divide between the MG community, we are all here for one simple purpose, so why the hostilities?

I would rather things be channeled in the right direction via the site team in question before airing it on another forum. It only creates bad blood and sucks more people in.

Paul has every right to be asking questions as he cares for XPF as we do for theMGZS, I would be no different if the roles were reversed.

Let's hope any differences can be resolved and let's make the MG community a happy one.
Old 16-07-08, 01:20 PM   #38
arwilson80
Founding Members

arwilson80 is on a distinguished road
I'll echo what Stamford has said... I would make just 1 edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I was half expecting this, it's a real shame when we have to read negative opinions on other forums / people. I just wished that people would be diplomatic in what they say so as to not create an atmosphere as witnessed here.
I am in 2 minds as to whether or not this thread should be 'locked' before it gets out of hand. I will let it run for another while and reconsider.

"People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people. Drive only with proper protection."
"You should try one. It's bloody good" - Jeremy Clarkson (commenting after driving a ZS180)
"Fines are a tax for doing bad, Taxes are a fine for doing good" - Unknown
GPS - Because guys don't know how to ask directions

MG ZS 180
3.5L V6 Ford Taurus
2.7L V6 EcoBoost Ford F150 4x4
arwilson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 02:03 PM   #39
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Stamford, There allways will be a Divide in the community, there allways has been Back in the Day's when I was a Mod on XPF the devide was between XPF and .Org, I went through all the politics when steve took over and my experience on how steve treated me (I was one of his super mods after he took over) made me leave, now I go back very rarely. I don't hold grudges I just havn't really had a reason to go back...

Talkingcars
If your talking about who I think you are then Ignore him, if you talk about it on forums your thread gets deleted, I can understand why, but I can also see the other side of the coin. I know a bit about his history and also a bit about him and the way he treats people. TBH he has never treated me bad, but on the other hand I've seen how he treated a good friend of mine... Anything further should be confined to PM's or emails so as to take the negative posting away from the forum.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 16-07-08 at 02:06 PM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-08, 02:17 PM   #40
Witnes$

Witnes$ has a spectacular aura aboutWitnes$ has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
atmosphere as witnessed here
Me?? Joking.

On a serious note. Sometimes its good to voice negative opinions aslong as they are constructive and if people listen to them improvements can be made.

Rob