AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 05-09-09, 09:22 AM   #1
chris25

chris25 is on a distinguished road
Track toy..

Hiya, long time no speak!

I'm currently in the position of buying a track car.

I have 2 options: Puma 1.7, or zs180 saloon.

I know both cars, both have had the cambelt done, and both have been owned from new from someone I know. Both have done over 100k miles. I can have either pretty much for peanuts...

Although they're different motors completely, they're both great track weapons. Great handling out of the box on both rides.

Being a track car, it will get stripped. Has anyone stripped a zs on here? How much weight did you loose? As I know pumas can weigh as little as 700kgs once stripped! Obviously the zs has more power so wont need to loose as much, but the more the merrier tbh.

And I'm pretty sure these things are good for near 200bhp with minor mods correct me if I'm wrong? Bigger airbox off the zt190 with re-routed caf to the front wing, decat?

Any info/photos on anyone tracking a 180 would be excellent.
chris25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:32 AM   #2
Dave MGT

Dave MGT is on a distinguished road
Puma or 180....? thats a no brainer....lol

Your best bet is have a look over on XPF
There are a few of us that have stripped out 180s.
Dave Breen has his down to about 1000kg iirc
Mine is about 1060-1080kg at a guess
Dave MGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:39 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I'm pretty sure no one on here can comment on a Puma, but we sure can regarding a 180! As Dave has said there are a few that have stripped their 180s for track use and lost a fair few kilos in the process. Is it still intended for road use, occassional or a commuter? If occassional then you can remove a fair bit and make redundant most items to lose that weight.
Old 05-09-09, 09:41 AM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
A less restrictive air filter, the current location suffers badly from heat soak.
Replace the whole exhuast system with Janspeed to eliminate all 3 cats.
Reidy Remap.
Loose 200kg.
You will have a very good track wepaon.
Old 05-09-09, 09:43 AM   #5
chris25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MGT View Post
Puma or 180....? thats a no brainer....lol

Your best bet is have a look over on XPF
There are a few of us that have stripped out 180s.
Dave Breen has his down to about 1000kg iirc
Mine is about 1060-1080kg at a guess
Good to know they can be stripped to loose the extra lard as they're about 1250 as standard iirc.

It does seem to be a little bit of a no brainer but I do like the fact that the puma can be as little as 700kg! Some people have gone the whole hog and dumped a focus rs (mk1) engine in there, remapped it would be around 380bhp/ton! I'm not willing to inject that much cash though tbh, it's just a fun track toy more than anything.
Old 05-09-09, 09:45 AM   #6
chris25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I'm pretty sure no one on here can comment on a Puma, but we sure can regarding a 180! As Dave has said there are a few that have stripped their 180s for track use and lost a fair few kilos in the process. Is it still intended for road use, occassional or a commuter? If occassional then you can remove a fair bit and make redundant most items to lose that weight.
Fair comment regards the puma.
It will pretty much be dedicated to track use tbh as I have an audi tt quattro as my main car. It should really stay road legal though
Old 05-09-09, 09:57 AM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Be prepared to keep the door looms in place if using polycarbonate windows as the ecu needs these in place if using the stock system. Removal of the air-con system will help as will the demister unit and matrix etc. If removing the pump then you'll need to modify the pulley set-up.
Old 05-09-09, 10:04 AM   #8
chris25

And for the record, I'd like it to look just like yours stamford! Laguna splitter, and powdercoat the rims white. It's trophy blue too

Ps - anymore photos?
Old 05-09-09, 10:12 AM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

thanks!

There's probably some in my album. The white straights have gone and I replaced them with 18" invite Aros. However I wish I kept the wheels now as I am buying another family car and keeping the ZS for track use only. I'm in two minds whether to go the whole hog and strip everything and trailer it.
Old 05-09-09, 10:32 AM   #10
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Do it!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust