theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 17-11-09, 08:39 PM   #11
garymgzs180

garymgzs180 is on a distinguished road
hi ross. i had the same problem with mine melting the spider . the oil could not escape from the specified hole as the gear that runs close to it whips it away (a technique used on jet engines) and so the oil level built up into a bath and the gears boiled the oil. i am using the original oil inlet jet and pipe so there is loads of oil getting in and cooling. i drilled a hole at the lowest point of the snout and returned the oil to the very base of the camcover. i know the oil will drain away from the snout when not running but the gears hold a hell of a lot of residue and will not be damaged when starting the car. yeah george at rsm did the bearings for me. my kit came with the perfect power piggy back ecu. it is a very good unit and does not fail like the early units they supplied. advantage of the smt7 is that you can modify the ignition timing and the fuelling. it is very easy to use and tune. my boost gauge was only showing 4 psi when i first innstalled it.it only shows 5 psi now i have changed the valve overlap. it may just be that my gaige is not very accurate and it may be actually running 6 psi now. i did contact piper to see if they can make me so custom camshafts with higher lift and less duration which is better suited to superchargers but they have not been very helpful so far. are you running standard cams. yeah we should meet up at some point
garymgzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-09, 08:44 PM   #12
garymgzs180

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Hats off to both of you for going the Supercharged route, have to take them both up to Santa Pod, Run what yer brung, be interesting to see the times and end speeds.

yeah i wanna yake it to pod. i have bought a nitrous kit specially but am yet to fit and tune. i fear i may push my luck but hopefully will be ok if i know what im doing
Old 17-11-09, 09:11 PM   #13
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymgzs180 View Post
yeah i wanna yake it to pod. i have bought a nitrous kit specially but am yet to fit and tune. i fear i may push my luck but hopefully will be ok if i know what im doing
Took my derv up Feb, great fun had about 7 runs, each time you think, right this time it will be right, but loads of wheelspin and grabbing the gears and my poor old derv left looking at the rear end of Jap skyliners. Still I wasnt worried, untill the clutch started smelling a bit and seeing I wanted to get home, I gave up.

But if I can do it anyone can, just a matter of getting up to the lights and getting away on the green one.

Old 17-11-09, 09:12 PM   #14
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg time-bomb-clock.jpg (41.9 KB, 6 views)

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-09, 09:23 PM   #15
rozzr

rozzr is on a distinguished road
i'd love to hear the noise of a s'charged KV6, has anyone got a video of one in action, drive by or something would be great?

very nice looking car btw mate, perfect!
MG ZR 120 2003 - sold
MG ZR 105 2002 - sold
MG ZS 120 2004 - sold
Ford Focus ST 2007 - CURRENT!
rozzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-09, 10:01 PM   #16
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Hats off to both of you for going the Supercharged route, have to take them both up to Santa Pod, Run what yer brung, be interesting to see the times and end speeds.

been doing pod for a few years, diddnt go this year, 13.5 @104 iirc, 2.260ft best 60ft i gained was 2.0 but car is striped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymgzs180 View Post
hi ross. i had the same problem with mine melting the spider . the oil could not escape from the specified hole as the gear that runs close to it whips it away (a technique used on jet engines) and so the oil level built up into a bath and the gears boiled the oil. i am using the original oil inlet jet and pipe so there is loads of oil getting in and cooling. i drilled a hole at the lowest point of the snout and returned the oil to the very base of the camcover. i know the oil will drain away from the snout when not running but the gears hold a hell of a lot of residue and will not be damaged when starting the car. yeah george at rsm did the bearings for me. my kit came with the perfect power piggy back ecu. it is a very good unit and does not fail like the early units they supplied. advantage of the smt7 is that you can modify the ignition timing and the fuelling. it is very easy to use and tune. my boost gauge was only showing 4 psi when i first innstalled it.it only shows 5 psi now i have changed the valve overlap. it may just be that my gaige is not very accurate and it may be actually running 6 psi now. i did contact piper to see if they can make me so custom camshafts with higher lift and less duration which is better suited to superchargers but they have not been very helpful so far. are you running standard cams. yeah we should meet up at some point

what oil return did you use? there is one in the bottom of the snout anyway, which as you say whips it away, my concern with yoursetup is the amount of oil it takes to get to the bearings on the gears, it has to run through 2 bearings, wich are rotaing very fast, if i start my car up and undo where your car feeds it takes some time to see oil up there, it possibly would work the other way. if the gears melt then it will wipe the charger, which i have found out is no longer avaible from anybody at all... the unit has been discontinued at opcron, whipple no longer do one the same size and sprintex claim to have 0 lol...
when the spider bearing melted did it stink lol, before we ran oil feeds it had a oil bath, and that was the worst setup ever..

what you have to remembed is the supercharger runs of the aux belt, to get more psi is obviously to change the pully, my car peaks at 6/7psi for a tiny bit also, but not looked into why. i know about the perfect power ecu, looked into it myself but decided to go the DTA route as then i can change everything i like, its risky running the 7th injector the way it is, i did 2 years before my car blew up last time so do hope it all goes ok for you...not sure if your going to the x mas meet, but i will go to that if your going mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozzr View Post
i'd love to hear the noise of a s'charged KV6, has anyone got a video of one in action, drive by or something would be great?

very nice looking car btw mate, perfect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43zN2OazBQ my car on rollers at vauxsport, says 243 but iirc it was underreading on the day as the run downs wernt right, it did make 219bhp@atw. a rolling road some months later with some mapping it made 229bhp@atw at a different rolling road turn it up loud lol

Last edited by Supercharged_Z; 18-11-09 at 07:32 AM.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-09, 08:14 AM   #17
garymgzs180

[img]100_0412[/img]
Old 18-11-09, 08:33 AM   #18
garymgzs180

here is a couple of pictures of my oil lines. could not upload anymore. would not let me. i used the hole ontop of the snout to fit a breather line which goes back to the cam cover. on the first picture you can see where i put the oil return. it is not the hole that is already there in the bottom of the snout but i made a new one one slightly higher up so it does have a very small pool of oil. i used the original oil out line as a second breather. i basically went overkill so the rubber coupling would not melt again. when it melted i did not know anything about it untill i had stopped driving and heard a knocking noise at idle. the knocking was the alloy couplings hitting where the rubber had gone. it completely dissappeared and went out the oil return into the sump. all my oil lines and breathers are 6an aeroquip from speedflow.com . i bought my kit from bridge garage who bought the last ever three kits so i have been helping them and another guy called darren who bought one with their mapping and modifying of which they are grateful. so there will be another 2 on the road in coming weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0410.jpg (81.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0408.jpg (83.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0417.jpg (95.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0416.jpg (98.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 18-11-09, 08:36 AM   #19
garymgzs180

when and where is the christmas meet. where about do you live ross.
Old 18-11-09, 08:39 AM   #20
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
ah so its a breather!! sorry i thought it was your feed.

is your return out of the side of the snout? rather than the front?

when we was doing devolpment on it we found 1 cm of oil above or below the max line in the snouth would cause it to overheat, it really is somthing else, i have a melted spider bush in my garage, il grab a pictrue of it, its years old and still stinks to high hell of hot gear oil.

looking forward to seeing a few supercharged zs's about its about time

Last edited by Supercharged_Z; 18-11-09 at 08:44 AM.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote