theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

View Poll Results: MK1 track or MK2 road?
Get a mk1 and go track only 3 17.65%
Go MK2 and use as daily car 11 64.71%
Something else 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-10, 08:20 PM   #1
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
What should I do...?

Ok so am returning from my holiday tomorrow and while I have been away I have brought myself to a dilemma. I can either start looking for a mk1 ZS 180 for £1000-£1500 and use it purely for track or keep the money and save til October time and buy a mk2 ZS 180 for normal driving and maybe an odd track day? I have put a poll for this.

Also to help decide. If I go for track only what do you guys do insurance wise as I only ever did t on top of my normal insurance but I won't be insuring a track only car. Also what mods are recomended on a track only zs that you wouldn't do on the road either for practical or legal reasons.

Any help appreciated guys and will be home tomorrow for Forza updates!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:23 PM   #2
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
if you want a mk 2 i have one for cheap you could buy..

its had its belts done, has 12 months mot. its silver.

bodyworks needs some tlc, inc a rear bumper. interior needs a clean. it has a clifford with remote start, mk2 rims in ok condition, induction kit, but needs to be setup better.

car has done 40k.. but its not an expensive car.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:28 PM   #3
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
I vote get a mk1 as they are easier to come across would have had the belts done by now and easier to get body parts for............

However...........get a good one and make it a street car. My car is the prime example of a capable fun car to drive........the thing that lets my car down more than anything is the bodywork and 'rough look' lol

I reckon a well sorted mk1 is the way to go........just an opinion and at the end of the day it is your opinion that counts and that you are happy with your car ;o)

Jim
Old 06-03-10, 08:31 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Get the best road car you can and use it on the track as and when.

It all depends IMHO, on how often you'd actually use the car on a track and how much money and time you'll spend on being there.

If you're really gonna get into the track thing ... fair enough.

If it's going to be a once in a while thing ... Get as good a road car as you can.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:42 PM   #5
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with what Dan says. Have to ask yourself how many track days you will do in a year? Prob only 5-10 at the most! Why not get a MK2 some simple mods, a bucket seat then just remove the extra seats when you vist track??!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 06:25 AM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
If you are going for a track only Mk1 you'll need a trailer and a tow vehicle, do you want a vehicle cabable of towing as a daily driver?

Do you have somewhere to store the track car?

If you are going to have to save for 6 months to get enough to buy a mk2 can you really afford to do enough track days to make it worth having a track only car and trailer and tow vehicle?

Did you have a good holiday?
Old 07-03-10, 07:19 AM   #7
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Well firstly I'd be waiting 6 months for saving purely because I am going back to Florida in June so that is priority but I do have a place to store a track car and am able to borrow a small recovery vehicle at little cost.

Am possible discussing a compromise at the moment so will see how things go.

What sort of mods can you not do to a road legal zs that can be done to a track one?

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 07:29 AM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Well firstly I'd be waiting 6 months for saving purely because I am going back to Florida in June so that is priority but I do have a place to store a track car and am able to borrow a small recovery vehicle at little cost.
That sounds like a plan, get the track car now and you wont want to go to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Am possible discussing a compromise at the moment so will see how things go.

What sort of mods can you not do to a road legal zs that can be done to a track one?
Removing seats but leaving belts in.
Some plexiglass isn't road legal.
Welding doors shut and not blanking the handles off...........

TBH I'm not expert in this area.
Old 07-03-10, 08:24 AM   #9
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I thought your not allowed plexiglass infront of the B pillar on a road car. However Ross' did with little slide vents.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 11:36 AM   #10
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
To be honest........the world is your oyster in terms of making a road rocket.......using your car in motorsport or on track you may want a plumbed in fire extingusher, bucket seat and harness, you may want an internal fuel tank and roll cage too.......

I would say you can make a very good road rocket that you could use either on the road or track. Take Ross' charged car or Daves AUDI engined beast.........all have a mk1 shell in common though as I guess to some extent mk2 cars are holding their money better but there are owners out there at the minute who have 'track capable' cars and use them as daily drivers too.

First mods are induction, exhaust, remap and the Quaiffe diff.........that in my opinion is enough of a car for you to enjoy on track without going mad.......next comes the uprated or bigger brakes and coilover suspension but you have to ask yourself if that is going over the line from a road car to a track weapon and whether it is worth the costs in doing this.

As I have recently found out though.......ZS180 MG Rover suspension is as expensive as a coilover set up........so maybe in time this is a valid and cost effective reason to change and upgrade your road rocket.

Blimey...........so much to think about............but once you start you won't look back!!!

Jim