theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-02-11, 10:42 PM   #1
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
MG Motor UK

Ok, so this stems from a topic Ive been reading over on .org about someones wishlist that there was an MG SUV (shudder at the thought).
It has been mentioned somewhere along the grapevine that MG have said theyre going to be doing 4 cars in the immediate future, being the MG6 saloon, the MG6 hatch (they count as two cars?!) and the MG3. Now, nobody actually knows what the fourth one is going to be, although there are rumours about a new sports car to replace the TF. Some images for those with short attention spans;

The MG6 hatch/"fastback"

The MG6 saloon

The MG3

My problem with all three of the above is that, although I quite like the design of the front of the cars, I find the sides boring and the rear offensive (I dont mind the saloon too much, I suppose). But this got me googling, and I dug up an article from china car times and another from AROnline from from a while ago talking about rumours of the MG5, based on the roewe 350. And then I came across the renders for it...

The front looks like the MG6 (on the render at least), which is fine by me.

And then the rear

Now, is it just me, or is this actually a damn good looking car?
Give it nicer alloys (the ones on that tein example spring to mind, like the ones on the red fastback above), and for the love of God something more powerful than that 1.8 turbo theyre stewing over, and I would actually be tempted to buy one.

Opinions?
Old 25-02-11, 03:32 AM   #2
Maxxed_Ross
Events Organiser-Scotland

Maxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura aboutMaxxed_Ross has a spectacular aura about
it looks a bit BMW 1 series-ish from the side and the back is like the Impreza hatch

both of those = EPIC FAIL for me

the rear 3/4 view make the back end of the car look too flabby. Shame because it looks really nice from the front

www.facebook.com/EX259

"It's not broken, it's an opportunity to upgrade!"
Maxxed_Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 07:38 AM   #3
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
IIRC the 4th car is the MG Zero...

There are no concrete plans about the Future of the MG TF at the moment (Confirmed by Keith @ MG) and the four cars are "Affordable Sports Saloons"

So MG6 Saloon, MG6 Hatch, MG3 and MG Zero

For those with that short attention span... MG Zero pictures (concept)

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 07:43 AM   #4
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately the MG brand has long since forgotten that it was two seater sports cars. The change in the markets began when they introduced MG Metros, Maestros and Montegos.
Then there are the consumers who want more choice than they really need and I dare say at some point there will be a MG SUV and MG Crossover and MG People Carrier. The brand will have to compete with all the others out there and will end up offering the same old things as the others, just with a different badge, sad but that's the car business.
The Chinese owners may try and mimic BMW's or Audi's market strategies, there is already a similarity with the numbers for car models. Perhaps there will be MG X3's or X6's one day.
I don't think the MG brand will be anywhere near as exciting as enthusiasts dream of.
Anyway here's hoping...

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 08:25 AM   #5
silver bullet

silver bullet is on a distinguished road
The least they could do is make them potent, the Zero and 3 should have various tunes of the 1.8 turbo (Polo GTI/Clio etc) and the 6 either a V6 or a bigger turbo motor just like Focus/Golf GTI/Megane etc. and make them a drivers car with some decent go.

Imo the MG brand cannot rival the VW's, Nissan's etc for buzz box's and general sales, but they can compete in the performance are against similar cars like the GTI's of the world. Many people look at MG as performance or sports cars so thats what they need to build their core on.
silver bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 08:50 AM   #6
Huffy

Huffy is on a distinguished road
Give it time chaps, the new owners are investing huge amounts of money and time into a brand that has undergone such scrutiny in the last 30 years.

Personally i'm not a fan of the 6 yet, the rear end is to much of a let down, but seen as i cant afford one, it not an issue... i do however like the interior and the front....

But I really do like the Zero, it reminds me of the Metro in its day, and is simmilar to the current susuki swift..... with a tuned 1.8 turb i think it could be a really marketable car especially if they can offer insurance deals for young drivers!

At the end of the day MG is a new car but at least it still has it british links, i know allot of people oppinions are tainted by the fact that its owned by a chinese co. but lets face it, b4 the pheonix group it was a german co.! lol

MONTY

MK2 ZS160d+ SDi A Kind of Magic, Puff of smoke and I'm gone!

Engine - SDI, Kestrel Kevlar Clutch & Lightened Fly wheel, AAS De-Cat, Rover Ron MAf,
Cotton Green K4.80 Air filter, Roose Motorsport Turbo Pipes. Custom Stainless Turbo Outlet, AAS Full Stainless custom Exhaust!

Toyo Proxie t1R's, Front and Rear ZS 180 Brakes, Drilled & Grooved Disks, Mintex Pads. Moto-Build Springs

ICE - Sony BTX3600u Head, Bluetooth ODBII, Android Torque App. Forza USB!

30psi Boost Gague

MGZS TsDi :Smoke if you've got one!!!

157bhp / 242 ft/lb
Huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 08:51 AM   #7
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yampiedog View Post
Unfortunately the MG brand has long since forgotten that it was two seater sports cars. The change in the markets began when they introduced MG Metros, Maestros and Montegos.
What are you basing that on?

MG Magnette?

The MG SA?

The MG Y Type?

All look like 2 seater sports cars to me too lol

Old 25-02-11, 10:25 AM   #8
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
What are you basing that on?

MG Magnette?

The MG SA?

The MG Y Type?

All look like 2 seater sports cars to me too lol
yep, is more like a return to their roots at the moment and the sports car may come later
Old 25-02-11, 11:29 AM   #9
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
Oops, wasn't really aware of those...

It will take few years for MG to make itself a credible car manufacturer again though I think.

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 11:38 AM   #10
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yampiedog View Post
Oops, wasn't really aware of those...

It will take few years for MG to make itself a credible car manufacturer again though I think.
In England maybe... In china they are already a hit.. and if they moved into Europe or America they are crying out for MG cars

So its only the UK that they have met resistance!

Typical really.... english bashing english products, just cos its fashionable

As for the current range of cars, I am reserving judgment till I can test drive one...