theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 25-02-11, 01:13 PM   #11
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
I thought the MG zero concept was the MG3?

There does seem to be a lot of MG bashing going on, especially within the MG owners forums, which is where you would expect to see the most support.
The MG motor UK company may be owned by the chinese, but they are still british designed and engineered cars, but made in china so that they can actually afford to make them. I can live with that.
We'll all need replacements for our ZS' at some point, and MG Motor UK need to establish themselves with their bread and butter car, their 3 series so to speak. Then they can start to think about branching out in to more interesting cars - I hope the MG5 as above makes the light of day with a decent engine, as I do like the look of them, reminds me a bit of the mazda 3 which is no bad thing.
The comparison to the BMW 1 series is interesting, given where that came from...
(from Wikipedia, the most reliable of sources)

Rumoured origins

In 1996, BMW owned the Rover Group, and was preparing a new car that would replace their Rover 200 and 400 ranges, called Project R30, developed jointly with Project R50 and R40, that would become, respectively, the New Mini and the Rover 75.[3] The new model, which would have been badged as the Rover 55, was planned to be built in the Longbridge plant alongside the New Mini, and BMW were granted a ?152 million subsidy by the British government to refurbish the plant.[3]

In 2000, development was close to completion, but after BMW sold the Rover Group, the project's rights were taken by BMW, which stopped the project and kept the only working prototype in their headquarters of Munich.[3] Although BMW tried to sell the project's rights, first to MG Rover and later to a number of Chinese car manufacturers, the model never entered production.[3]

It has been rumoured that the Rover R30 was finished by BMW and transformed into the BMW 1-Series.[3] However, BMW have stated that the 1-Series is unrelated to the R30, and was developed alongside the E90 3-Series.[4]

Last edited by caled; 25-02-11 at 01:16 PM.
caled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 05:46 PM   #12
Southside_ZS

Southside_ZS is on a distinguished road
Yes the Zero is the 3. The Zero is the concept, the 3 is the road going version of it. That said MG UK have said they'll try and incorperate the two for UK release. So it wont be as bland as the Chinese 3 but wont be as in your face as the Zero.

I also agree with the above. I hated the MG 6 when i first looked at the pics of it a few years ago but its really growing on me now. UK version looks alot better than the Chinese one. But then again i remember back in 2004 whn MG-R released te facelift ZR/ZS and i hated the look of them too bar the mk2 180 with the kit. 6 years later and i've now owned various models of MK 2 ZR/ZS

We need to get back behind the brand. Its early doors yet. We must remember yes its taken nearly 6 years for a new model but they've had to start from scratch, even back in 2005 the whole model range was ageing rapidly, imagine if they were still building them now up until release of the 6? The press would of slated them like mad.

I think 10 years time and we'll see a whole model range back, Remember when Kia, Hyaundai e.t.c fist entered the UK they only came with one or two models to sell. Now look at them, full range of cars from Supermini's to SUV's and vans.

Quote:
Although BMW tried to sell the project's rights, first to MG Rover and later to a number of Chinese car manufacturers, the model never entered production.[3]
I thought it was sold to Proton and became the GEN-2?

Last edited by Southside_ZS; 25-02-11 at 05:57 PM.
Southside_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote