theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-03-12, 07:27 AM   #11
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Before bleeding can I ask what you are using to remove the fluid? A cheap non-return valve type unit is pretty much foolproof and a one man job. It allows you to pump the pedal, with bleed nipple open, and after a few goes check on the fluid through the clear pipe and look for solid fluid travel which is a good sign. If bubbles can be seen in the pipe then keep pumping, slow progression not fast. Always check the reservoir is topped up during this. Once done close nipple off and check pedal for firmness. Repeat as per book for sequence front to back etc.

I use both non-return valve type and the pressure type as some cars need a pressure system to get the fluid to flow, especially clutch systems.

If I was there I would do it for you.
Old 24-03-12, 09:27 AM   #12
S13AVO

S13AVO is on a distinguished road
Fill the brake fluid reservoir full and leave the top off, slightly undo the bleed nipple, put a pipe on the end and into a clean jar or bottle (can use again if needs be), slowly depress the brake pedal about 4 times, tighten bleed nipple, check brake fluid reservoir for levels and check, repeat if need to until brake pedal feels correct, hope this helps
S13AVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 11:32 AM   #13
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Sorry been sleeping/working lol
Start at the corner you've replaced first, get someone to sit in the car, they shall be "the pumper" lol, to the resevior up to the maximum with new clean fluid. Go to the caliper, put the spanner on and then put the pipe on, put the other end into a clear bottlee, crack the nipple, about half turn should be suffiecient and gett the pumper to comense pumping. Pump slowly about 3 seconds each depress, if you are changing all the systems fluid keep punping tll all the fluid in the resevior is clear, dont let the level fall below minimum though during this as you could end up with air in the system which is the last thing you want, id expect at least 20 pumps per corner as a minum to ensure all the fluids been renewed.
Once fluids clean get the pumper to hold thier foot to the floor and tighten off the bleed nipple, then get them to start the car and press the pedal make sure it isnt leaking.
Old 24-03-12, 11:32 AM   #14
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
Sorry been sleeping/working lol
Start at the corner you've replaced first, get someone to sit in the car, they shall be "the pumper" lol, to the resevior up to the maximum with new clean fluid. Go to the caliper, put the spanner on and then put the pipe on, put the other end into a clear bottlee, crack the nipple, about half turn should be suffiecient and gett the pumper to comense pumping. Pump slowly about 3 seconds each depress, if you are changing all the systems fluid keep punping tll all the fluid in the resevior is clear, dont let the level fall below minimum though during this as you could end up with air in the system which is the last thing you want, id expect at least 20 pumps per corner as a minum to ensure all the fluids been renewed.
Once fluids clean get the pumper to hold thier foot to the floor and tighten off the bleed nipple, then get them to start the car and press the pedal make sure it isnt leaking.
Old 24-03-12, 11:47 AM   #15
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Thanks for your help everyone will just bleed the system for the moment and will change the fluid at a later date just to get me mobile again.going to have a go tomorrow,Marcus is coming over to be my "pumper"lol.so do I actually need to do all four or can I get away with the one I replaced.?

Last edited by grimmy; 24-03-12 at 11:49 AM. Reason: another question added.
grimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 11:51 AM   #16
Ritchy
technically an expertish

if its not gone empty then you should just need to do one

tip for the future if your replacing a caliper, if you hold the pedal down with a bar it means the resevior cant empty itself,
Old 24-03-12, 12:33 PM   #17
grimmy

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Cheers ritchy that is very handy to know
Old 24-03-12, 02:30 PM   #18
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Douse your nipples in WD-40 before Marcus comes over to pump ya. Depending on when they were last done bleed nipples can quite happily seize and then round off which will make the task all the more of a pita
Old 24-03-12, 07:09 PM   #19
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Douse your nipples in WD-40 before Marcus comes over to pump ya. Depending on when they were last done bleed nipples can quite happily seize and then round off which will make the task all the more of a pita
.....and then shear off!!

I'm passing by tomorrow but going up to Knockhill with a full car, so wont be able to help. Sorry.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-12, 07:16 PM   #20
grimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
.....and then shear off!!

I'm passing by tomorrow but going up to Knockhill with a full car, so wont be able to help. Sorry.
Nae worries Kev if i get away with only doing the one i swapped it will be fine as the nipple had been slackened before i got so it wont be a problem on that caliper.
You taking the zed round?