Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-15, 08:10 AM   #11
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Yeah it won't be a 'valid' comparison as the EGT really does change with soot/smoke levels.... Your smoke looks like mine did on the wingies I had...... and I was hitting 850c with them on sustained full bore runs.... peaked at I think 650 with the SDi hybrids under the same load.....

the scary thing is that fuel is limited in 1st and 2nd due to the torque limiter.... in 3rd and upwards it must be mentally bad lol

Does sound nice tho
As had been said before, I'm convinced from what I've heard about wingies that they are just 200tdi nozzles with the part numbers ground off.
They are the only obvious upgrade from a catalogue browsing point of view in terms of spray angle, orifice size, two stage etc.
Orifice size of the 200tdi is 0.24mm whereas the SDIs are 0.22mm so not a huge difference although the effect this has on area is obviously very significant.

I spent all day yesterday mapping the 200tdis in. The video I posted was just for a laugh, it hasn't stayed like that!

MAPPING ADVICE FOR 200 TDI NOZZLES

First of all, don't bother on a standard turbo, SDIs are more than enough for the job, this only applies for fitting a bigger turbo.

If anybody wants to run 200tdis the best advice I can give is less is more.
I took the "max fuel" map off and replaced it with the original map from my girlfriends 45 (101) with the only differences being the increased rev limit and hard-cut as before. This was the baseline.

Even with the virtually stock map there was smoke under normal acceleration (like in the first clip of the video) although higher up (once on boost) the smoke was much less as to be expected. It felt just as quick top end and EMP dropped (as to be expected).

Back on the driveway and the map edited, I reduced requested fuel in the drivers wish maps by up to -50% for lower throttle position values and gradually increased to standard values for ~50% throttle then added 10% for +70% throttle over 2000 rpm.

I also edited the smoke limit map, by up to -40% below 0.5 bar boost (corrected) gradually increasing to standard values at 0.7 bar then +15% over 1.0 bar.

Out for another test drive... the smoke situation is really good, just like a mapped car on SDIs now but maybe with a bit more on full throttle- this is a haze now rather than James Bond smoke screen- you can get away with full throttle without looking like a complete wally. Performance wise, it feels just as quick full throttle as the "max fuel" map however lower down the pull is much better, maybe due to reduced temps.

Back home for a few more tweaks to make the power delivery more linear and that's where I'm up to.

If anybody says the 200 tdis are too much... I'm sorry but it just isn't suitably mapped.

So, in summary, I'm chuffed the injectors I spent so much money on can be used and further more I have as much fuel to play with as I like when the next stage of turbo inevitably comes.
Also, I've not measured it yet but I bet fuel economy has gone up significantly too given how much fuel I took out of the standard map lower down.
Exciting times