theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-10-12, 02:28 PM   #1
skyblueads

skyblueads is on a distinguished road
Fed up...

Been a little while since I was really active on here, so I'll fill you all in. Spent the last weekend trying to get my ZS sorted since the clutch slave went pop. Lawrence-zs180 very kindly sent me his old slave and master so I thought I'd do the clutch while I was at it at lubricate the arm. My mate Mike came over to give me a hand so, happy days. Or not.

Trying to get the roll pin out on the box and selector arm was impossible, so the box came out with it attached - turns out the arm has been fixed permanently to the back of the 'box, I guess to try and take some of the slack out of the 'shift. Then we find that the clutch arm is totally seized, the arm was so sticky it had the effect of riding the clutch and even left soaking for a few days the arm won't play ball so we can't lubricate it to rectify what caused the original problem. Looking for a new 'box I'm being quoted £150-£200 and thats after spending something like £130 on bits last weekend.

The car still needs a bonnet, grille, bumper and wing to get it looking smart bodywise - question is how far do I go? Do I try and recoup some of my cash by breaking it or do I suck it up and sort it out?

Bloody cars...

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
skyblueads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 02:42 PM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
We tried to remove the pin from ZS's one, beat us as well!!!

Think you need a lift to get under and have a proper swing at it.

Sounds a right pain in the ....
Old 24-10-12, 02:57 PM   #3
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
Who is quoting boxes at that price? I'm sure I can do it cheaper. Just need the details.
Old 24-10-12, 03:13 PM   #4
skyblueads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRed View Post
Who is quoting boxes at that price? I'm sure I can do it cheaper. Just need the details.
Its a 1.8 so PG1 'box. Local breakers are quoting me that. I also need the selector rod, too.

I want to sort it but is it worth putting more cash into a car with such little value?

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
Old 24-10-12, 03:55 PM   #5
skyblueads

Well things are looking up a little - just got a gearbox. £80 cash from a 60k mile car. Happy days. Just got to crawl under the car and get the selector off. Should be a challenge! Now there's just a small matter of a bonnet, a grille, a wing, a bumper and a rear door.

I'll do all this and then you know HGF will follow!

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
Old 24-10-12, 03:03 PM   #6
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
It depends on how much you love the car and if you feel like you can justify the money. I always look at it like if something happened to my Zed that cost say £500 to fix would it be worth it. Id have to say yes, 1 because i absolutly love my car and 2 because realistically what else could i get for the money. Everyone's circumstances are different but personnaly if possible i would always opt to save the Zed.
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 07:14 PM   #7
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
I think there are a few being broken on eBay, sure I saw a silver one somewhere! I'll see if I can find the links
Old 24-10-12, 07:44 PM   #8
skyblueads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peanut View Post
I think there are a few being broken on eBay, sure I saw a silver one somewhere! I'll see if I can find the links
Thanks mate. I did find a guy breaking one but had panels and the reg no. but no paint code...

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
Old 24-10-12, 07:18 PM   #9
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Keep it and fix it. You WILL regret it if you sell/scrap it........
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-12, 08:24 PM   #10
sh4ggyd00

sh4ggyd00 is on a distinguished road
did you see the link i posted about the 120 being broken on ebay and all parts were £10?
sh4ggyd00 is offline   Reply With Quote