theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 23-09-08, 07:08 AM   #1
Stuart

Stuart is on a distinguished road
Fitting HID'S

Hopefully gonna get my finger out and order my hid's on friday, is it true i need the H7R bulbs (mk1 hatch)? what do you folks reckon i should go for? was thinking 6000k? have no real experience in this, i just dont want them to coloured looking but at the same time i dont wanna feel like ive spent the money for nothing!
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-08, 08:23 AM   #2
garys123

garys123 is on a distinguished road
6000k are the ones to go for anything more will give you a blue light. Hospitals use 6000k bulbs this will give you an idea on what sort of colour you will get and is considered to be the brightest white you can get before going into blue. Im pretty sure that the HR7 bulbs will fit the zed.
garys123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-08, 05:31 PM   #3
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
These are the 6000K H7Rs I had on mine to give you an idea. The 8000K look a little too blue IMO

Old 23-09-08, 05:46 PM   #4
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
A Mk1 needs H7R bulbs which is shorter, the Mk2 uses normal H7 type HID bulbs.

The best colour to go for and be "legal" is 6000k, any more and you will be asking for trouble.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-08, 06:02 PM   #5
Andyf

You need H7R's with reflector style lights, I had H7's and when I got it checked it would have failed an MOT, the H7R's were OK however.
Old 23-09-08, 06:05 PM   #6
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
You need H7R's with reflector style lights, I had H7's and when I got it checked it would have failed an MOT, the H7R's were OK however.
Rubbish, had mine through 2 MOT's, not failed at all, just the headlamp aim was corrected, and I had H7 type HID bulbs, don't believe everything you read on XPF.

Old 23-09-08, 06:30 PM   #7
Andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Rubbish, had mine through 2 MOT's, not failed at all, just the headlamp aim was corrected, and I had H7 type HID bulbs, don't believe everything you read on XPF.
I am talking from experience not what I have read on XPF. I got a set of H7s and the bloke at the garage said, "You've fitted a kit haven't you, the beam pattern is all wrong i've tried adjusting the lights but it wont work"

He then showed me the beam pattern and there was a 'dome' of light above cut off point and he couldn't get below it. He did say some garages may pass it if they looked quickly. I then went back to the same garage with my H7R's and they said they were fine (after adusting the nearside light). A few people have said they passed an MOT with H7s but I wouldn't have, I was just letting people know what I had read on various web sites about the H7R's being designed to be like the D2R HID bulbs used in reflector lenses and what I had experienced myself.
They may have been cheaper bulbs but either way the H7's I had would fail and the H7R would pass.
Old 23-09-08, 06:37 PM   #8
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
I am talking from experience not what I have read on XPF. I got a set of H7s and the bloke at the garage said, "You've fitted a kit haven't you, the beam pattern is all wrong i've tried adjusting the lights but it wont work"

He then showed me the beam pattern and there was a 'dome' of light above cut off point and he couldn't get below it. He did say some garages may pass it if they looked quickly. I then went back to the same garage with my H7R's and they said they were fine (after adusting the nearside light). A few people have said they passed an MOT with H7s but I wouldn't have, I was just letting people know what I had read on various web sites about the H7R's being designed to be like the D2R HID bulbs used in reflector lenses and what I had experienced myself.
They may have been cheaper bulbs but either way the H7's I had would fail and the H7R would pass.
I'm not doubting you experience, so what was the difference to your headlamps as to others then, sure you didnt have LHD lamps :lol: ?

Old 23-09-08, 06:39 PM   #9
Andyf

Don't know, may have been poor quality bulbs?
Old 23-09-08, 06:57 PM   #10
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

Could have been!, just to let you know that I changed to H7R's with Anti-glare 5000k, and these are good, with an excellent spread of light.