theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 18-04-14, 10:11 AM   #141
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Yes thanks Luke
and thanks to smoky Blair too.

Was going to post last night but had the drunken phone call from Mrs TC asking me to rescue her from the demons of a night out with the girls from work.......scary stuff LOL.
Old 07-05-14, 07:01 PM   #142
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Not much to report - been busy sorting GV51, the lads R100, Mrs TC's ZR and the maestro and decorating.

Last week we took FE54 to Wales for a week staying in Carmarthen for three nights and Montgomery for another two. We did some fossiling on a couple of days, visited St Davids and Snowdonia and even ended up in a massive factory outlet centre and Mrs TC didn't want to spend hours shopping - if you get a woman like that - likes cars - hates shopping - don't let go.

The car ran well - Welsh roads are so suited to the ZS180, towards west, mid and north Wales there are so few cars you can really enjoy it. The only concern I had was the car seeming to miss a few times after filling up at Porthmadog but eventually I realised I was so laid back I was taking hills and bends in 5th and not 3rd!
Old 07-05-14, 07:09 PM   #143
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Good driving roads around Wales, glad its going OK.

Old 20-08-14, 02:50 PM   #144
talkingcars

So I've had a few issues recently - first off was the clutch hydraulics - I had intended fitting the Sheddist that came with the car but sold that, then there was the used one that came from the scrap yard but I sold that, finally there was the one on GV51 but that will be going in the maestro when I swap engines.

I was aware that the change was getting worse so had decided to get some bits togeather and make my own version. Unfortunatly (and typical for me) I'd left it too late.......

We have just had a chimney removed due to damp problems caused by the loft extension company plastering the loft room to the chimney rather than leaving the required cap! The result was our bedroom ceiling starting to collapse, we had it removed from the roof and through our bedroom and had the walls and ceiling plastered. I then replaced the floor with T&G as the 102 year old floor boards were knackered. We then rebuilt the built in wardrobes I built 10 years ago and refitted the interior with IKEA stuff. They were out of stock of 2 key components so I decided, after work to drive the 30 miles from work to the local store in south London (Croydon) to get these, not a wise idea the afternoon the M25 was closed nearby for 3 hours.

After queing for 30 minutes the clutch started to get near impossible to engage so I decided to abhort the trip and turn around, 200 yards from the turn the car wouldn't go into first so I switched off hoping to start in gear BUT the car wouldn't start, the starter was really sluggish!

I managed to roll across the road on to the ghost island. 20 minutes later I managed to start the engine and, while rolling down the slight slope slip into gear. I don't know how, but I managed to get across 2 lanes of traffic, up to the turn and on to the southbound carrage without stopping or changing gear.

Using clutchless changes I got into 5th and cruised down the whole length of the M23, I slipped into 3rd, again clutchlessly, off the main road and onto the back roads towards Horsham. Using the clutch to help going back into 4th the peddle went to the floor and stayed there.

I somehow managed the last 8 miles without the need for clutch pulling up outside the house 50 minutes and 30 miles from where the car broke down.
Old 20-08-14, 02:54 PM   #145
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Oops.

Hope you can sort the hydraulics.

Old 20-08-14, 03:07 PM   #146
talkingcars

I had quick coffee and a search of the "workshop" and I found my box of O/E clutch hydraulics and exactly where I thought they should be!

At 19.07 I was back outside.

The old bent and damaged slave bracket was off quickly showing that it had bent at the back end allowing the engine to body earth become loose explaining why the car was struggling to start.

I didn't fancy changing the whole system so studied the joint between upper and low sections, it looked very much like the compression joint found on many small bore hydraulic systems. Rather than try and find the Rover "special" tool I used Mrs Robinson and her five lovely daughters!

I then realised that the old slave was missing the plunger so I guess this fell of when the peddle went to the floor.

The best of bracket and slave were fitted, air filter refitted and tools put away and it was only 20.20, nice when a problem is quickly resolved.
Old 20-08-14, 03:33 PM   #147
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Lucky you still had all the bits, I normally dump them out and find I wanted something a couple of days later!!!

Old 20-08-14, 06:49 PM   #148
talkingcars

Before I built the workshop I'd still be looking now.
Old 20-08-14, 06:56 PM   #149
talkingcars

Next we had the no start problem detailed in another thread - http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=28366

I am still having P0131 code coming up each day and P0141 which switches on the MIL every few days -TG for the Scangauge.

Once home from holiday I shall look into replacing all the probes, although I suspect the main problem is the damaged wiring behind the block which requires unplugging and repairing.
Old 20-08-14, 09:38 PM   #150
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Lucky one there, as i understand it it is 'easier' to clutchless change on a petrol than a diesel, I only managed 4 miles and second gear in mine when it went.

and that required a friend to drive, when I got out to push as it would not quite fire in second, and 1st would have taken us forever..... it is a very sureal experience running after you own car to jump in, knowing that it can't stop without stalling again lol.

glad you made it home, and got it sorted nice and quickly though!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote