theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-03-10, 04:34 PM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Cool Just having my second ZS breakdown!

Sitting here still at work waiting for the 'very nice man' to turn up and fix my zed! Went to go home and found I couldn't turn the key in the barrel! The steering lock and/or barrel will not turn one bit. Can't complain as the only other time the zed let me down was when the clutch slave fell off!

Working 35 miles from home is there ever a good time to break down?

coffee, coffee, coffee!!!
Old 10-03-10, 04:37 PM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
new ignition barrel please lol, if you take the cover off the column nthen you could start it if you unscrewed the back of the barrel, but your still stuck with the lock need a hammer and a punch to knock ehm off, would start provided ye had the fob right next to where tis meant to be
Old 10-03-10, 04:49 PM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Remember my first xr3i the key had snapped off in the ignition so used to keep some little mole grips in the glove box! lol

Hope its an easy and cheap fix

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 04:52 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
new lock set, dont have the security plates on the mk1's so theyre easy peazy, mark 2 can be a nightmare lol
Old 10-03-10, 04:55 PM   #5
Ritchy
technically an expertish

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-45-Saloo...item5190f94c05
Old 10-03-10, 05:18 PM   #6
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Can't say I have ever broken down in the Devil.............might be because the majority of the car has been replaced over the past couple of years

Hope you get it all fixed soon bud. Sounds a right PITA!

Jim
Old 10-03-10, 05:32 PM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
No posts for an hour, hopefully the nice man effected a repair.

When I worked for the local VW garage I got sent out to help a customer who'd just bought a used Golf cab because the ignition barrel had stuck - a quick tug the wrong way on the wheel released the steering lock!

Another time it was a woman having problems with her locking fuel cap, she was turning the key the wrong way.
Old 10-03-10, 06:05 PM   #8
Ritchy
technically an expertish

what an effort it was to teach tanya how to start her hyundai the first time, im like just turn the key! n did it for her twice then she couldnt do it, n she doesnt know now how she managed to not turn it lol
Old 10-03-10, 08:13 PM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sods law, he turns up and ******* thing works! Turned it off again and it got stuck Got it going again and drove home!

It needs a new barrel, but I am using the spare key as 'Daisy' jumped up at the boot the weekend as I was unlocking the boot and bent my usual key. Tonight I straightened the bent one and all is fine, reckon the spare is slightly worn hence the problem.

2 AA calls in 5 years isn't too bad.
Old 10-03-10, 08:41 PM   #10
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
sounds like it could have been a lot worse... ut typical that it works when the guy turns up!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote