Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Yes
Old 26-07-12, 04:14 PM   #22
littlened

littlened is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdope2002 View Post
Not being Funny but shouldn't this be kept to Private messaging.......

I don't agree.

I've kept it between us for 7 weeks now.
Old 26-07-12, 04:16 PM   #23
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Im saying no more on this matter as its nothing to do with me
Old 26-07-12, 04:39 PM   #24
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
I've made a reply via private message and have no more to add to what's been already stated.

G
Old 26-07-12, 04:59 PM   #25
littlened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovermgparts View Post
I've made a reply via private message and have no more to add to what's been already stated.

G
I've responded advising that I'll be contacting Trading Standards if I don't have tracking information by Wedneday.

Just to be clear to everyone, I'm in no way slagging anyone off or accusing anyone of being awkward. All I've done is simple describe (factually) what I've experienced.
Old 26-07-12, 05:47 PM   #26
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
But not much info relating to the engine and vehicle, just your problems...

It is wise to have the facts before making comment - from any party.

First, from what car did the engine come from? and where you aware of this?

What car is the engine going into? And was the seller aware of this? Did he suggest there may be differences.

Below is just an example...(a flip side of the coin to this thread so far)

For example cam inlet timing is slightlty different on a zt190 to a zs 180.

At the other end of the scale for example, if one was putting a 180/190 unit into say a freelander, which likely need the sump and oil cooler changing, then where the parts being fitted new or of known good quality and are you 100% sure the error may not lay at your end?

If there is any doubt about the componants changed and these complaints are being made then one is walking on very thin ice.

---Firstly you would need to prove the existing oil cooler you swapped onto the engine you bought is not rotten and causing the problems, or any part you have had to swap over to make work.

As there is no information as yet on what car the engine was from and what it need to go into...

perhaps you could fill us in on the information first before people choose to take sides...
Old 26-07-12, 05:59 PM   #27
littlened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
But not much info relating to the engine and vehicle, just your problems...

It is wise to have the facts before making comment - from any party.

First, from what car did the engine come from? and where you aware of this?

What car is the engine going into? And was the seller aware of this? Did he suggest there may be differences.

Below is just an example...(a flip side of the coin to this thread so far)

For example cam inlet timing is slightlty different on a zt190 to a zs 180.

At the other end of the scale for example, if one was putting a 180/190 unit into say a freelander, which likely need the sump and oil cooler changing, then where the parts being fitted new or of known good quality and are you 100% sure the error may not lay at your end?

If there is any doubt about the componants changed and these complaints are being made then one is walking on very thin ice.

---Firstly you would need to prove the existing oil cooler you swapped onto the engine you bought is not rotten and causing the problems, or any part you have had to swap over to make work.

As there is no information as yet on what car the engine was from and what it need to go into...

perhaps you could fill us in on the information first before people choose to take sides...
The Engine was a 2.5 KV6 for a 2001 MG ZS 180. The seller knew this and did indeed supply the correct engine, there are no issues in that regard.

Buying a used engine can always be risky, hence the 120 day warranty. It just so happens that in this case there's something wrong with the engine (water mixing with the oil). I don't believe it's the sellers fault, it's just one of those things. I also don't believe the issue was caused during fitting. I do however believe that the engine may have been damaged in transit as it wasn't strapped to the pallet and even the delivery driver almost lost the engine off the panel a couple of times just transporting it into my garage, again, I don't think that's the sellers fault as I understand the delivery company were supposed to strap the engine to a pallet.

As for parts, the only parts that were put onto the engine from my old engine were...

- Alternator
- A new aux belt
- Power steering pump
- Inlet manifolds

The sump, oil cooler, timing belts, oil pump, water pump were not touched. Well, I did take off the timing belt to replace the crankshaft oil seal, but the oil was creamy before that. I thought an engine flush might resolve the oil colour issue, so I ran engine flush for 5 minutes, drained the oil and replace it with new oil. I ran it for 5 minutes and then drained that oil and replaced it with a better brand. Just letting the car turnover on the drive causes the coolant levels to drop, but there's no loss of coolant. The oil does however continue to be creamy.

The only issue is with the length of time it's taken to get the replacement engine, the lack of any communication from the seller without prompts from myself, and finally the false promises that the engine would be delivered each time I chased it up (on an almost weekly basis).

As far as I'm concerned, I don't want people to take sides, I simply wanted some advice. But feel free to read the issues I've had and use them to make up your own judgement on whether you wish to use the seller.

Last edited by littlened; 26-07-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 26-07-12, 06:27 PM   #28
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Ok, good to know the facts.

I know George, and I know that he would never knowlingly sell something that was not correct, and from what you have said, you know that as well.

I have used George for a fair bit of work, including a replacement engine (like yourself) cambelts and fitting piper cams amongst other stuff.
He is the only guy I know who bends over backwards for people as goodwill to keep them happy in/after event of problems, even when its not Georges fault.

You will not find a more reasonable person than George to deal with, but you do need to communicate live chat - ie the telephone any issues with him and trust him.

It is fair that george will need to see the engine and prove to himself that its faulty, if it is.
Your best route is to chat (humbly) to George and just make sure you have covered all angles and explore possibilities, proving between yourselves and eliminating any other possibilties.
George is a nice guy and very helpfull.
Like me George is old school, so chat on the phone.

Do this first and I am sure things will get resolved.

On another note of Georges hangups with continued supply of mg parts, I fully understand and have made comment to George before about the viability of continuing selling Rover/MG spares. Looking at the demographic profile, business model and long term (even short term) viablity, it sadly seems that it is not a profitably way forward. I personally feel George would be a loss in the MG scene, but passion does not put bread on the table.

Last edited by Mark S; 26-07-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 26-07-12, 06:42 PM   #29
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Ok, good to know the facts.

I know George, and I know that he would never knowlingly sell something that was not correct, and from what you have said, you know that as well.

I have used George for a fair bit of work, including a replacement engine (like yourself) cambelts and fitting piper cams amongst other stuff.
He is the only guy I know who bends over backwards for people as goodwill to keep them happy in/after event of problems, even when its not Georges fault.

You will not find a more reasonable person than George to deal with, but you do need to communicate live chat - ie the telephone any issues with him and trust him.

It is fair that george will need to see the engine and prove to himself that its faulty, if it is.
Your best route is to chat (humbly) to George and just make sure you have covered all angles and explore possibilities, proving between yourselves and eliminating any other possibilties.
George is a nice guy and very helpfull.
Like me George is old school, so chat on the phone.

Do this first and I am sure things will get resolved.

On another note of Georges hangups with continued supply of mg parts, I fully understand and have made comment to George before about the viability of continuing selling Rover/MG spares. Looking at the demographic profile, business model and long term (even short term) viablity, it sadly seems that it is not a profitably way forward. I personally feel George would be a loss in the MG scene, but passion does not put bread on the table.
Top Post Dude
Old 26-07-12, 06:55 PM   #30
littlened

I don't wish to come across as rude. However, for anyone reading this thread I have been advised that the last two posters(Marks and Bobdope2002) are friends(in some way) with the seller, hence their posts may come across as a little bias.

If this isn't the case, I apologise.

I just thought this may be helpful to others.
Closed Thread