theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 27-08-12, 08:30 PM   #11
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 11:41 AM   #12
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
As others have said really glad to see this car is being loved once more!

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 12:06 PM   #13
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post

I am tempted by the brembodge setup for that price - though not sure i am quite ready to fit it - and it will mean the OE wheels will not fit anymore (tho i believe they should fit under the ultraleggeras i got on there at the moment). I'll pm
PM sent Pete,

They do fit under 17 OZ superleggeras, thats what i have on at the mo :-)

cheers
Paul
Old 28-08-12, 12:28 PM   #14
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
it seems unreal to me, to read that my old car needs a full re build, i pampered it like a baby and it never wanted for anything....infact i was normally upgrading parts that had nothing wrong with the original ones.
I remember driving it away from the garage with 9k miles on the clock
and just a year old.
Really hope you can pull her back to A1 again.
Love that manifold, as you say theres 35 odd bhp right there and if i were you id drop the boost a couple of psi just to aid traction in the lower gears, peak power wont drop but mid range torque will have its raw edge smoothed a little.
Hope whatever problem the engine has, is an easy fix.
TBH Dave most would just run it and ignore the odd oil leak, worn suspension bushes and chopped about wiring but thats not me.
I am a bit of a perfectionist as you would see if you had seen some of the bikes i have built, i have to know every part and be certain its fit and healthy.

as you know the car has plenty of performance but i want to move it on in all areas so the best and quickest solution is just get it on the ramps and drop the motor and suspension, i can then upgrade and replace anything that needs replacing.

just cant leave all this time and investment rusty and covered in crud.

besides i will be pushing the performance and need to be 100% that everything else is up to the job.

This car has a character / attitude i love and tbh i find the majority of things with 4 wheels as boring as hell, even so called high performance cars are nowt compared to a bike ok they corner better / faster but you have to wrestle a big bike round the corners and carry the speed, get it wrong and it hurts

makes me laugh like a kid every time i strap into the VAG and let it loose on the roads. First time i drove it hard i could not work out where the squealing was coming from in 2nd gear, only to realize it was the cold tyres letting go LMAO

i dont think its a major issue as it runs fine off tickover but i am still working my way around the motor so best let martin find the problem while its down there.

gotta fix up a small water bottle thou! went out and covered the car in bug splats so on went the wipers but no fluid to help clear the screen, no prob opened the bonnet to fill at a petrol station to find there ain't one lol

Later
Paul
Old 28-08-12, 08:28 PM   #15
Dave MGT

Dave MGT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post

They will fit under std wheels. You just need 3mm spacers ( hubsentric is best) their £25 off eBay. I just ordered some because I have a slight wheel wobble at high speeds, with the nasty spacers I'm using.

You wont regret doing the brembos! It's such a great mod that you feel every time you drive it, unlike some mods. Makes the std 180 brakes feel crap.
Dave MGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-12, 09:07 PM   #16
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
reply to post 14....great news and lol...even on hot roads with hot toyo 888's it cant (or couldnt ) lay 2nd gear, 3rd was borderline !
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-12, 02:21 PM   #17
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
This is where boost by gear becomes your best friend (BBG),
I run both BBG (Not AVCR) via my ECU and a boost solenoid, tune the car to you desired maximum bhp then adjust the boost from 1st to 5th accordingly, I run wastage pressure (7 psi) in first then ramp up to 12 psi in second and so on.
I also run Race Logic traction control and really rate it, what the BBG can control the RL can, I average sub 6 second 0-60 mph.
Best part is, you can just turn off both of the above or have various set-ups for most driving conditions or tyres.

Last edited by Eddie; 29-08-12 at 02:24 PM.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-12, 10:31 AM   #18
sneekyparrot

Red face

Just had the results from the doc and it's not good. Seems at idle I have very poor compression in 3 cylinders 3&4 are showing 30-40% loss!

Total arse but it seems as Martin suspected the numpty who had it before Ross has abused it and prob constantly over revved it and buzzed the valves so it's a head off job.

There goes tr brakes money:/(

Picking car up later and will be stripping the motor out / head off for a proper look, seems like a good reason to go with a large port head while I am at it lol!

:-(
P.
Old 18-09-12, 10:43 AM   #19
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sorry to hear this Paul. Things like this are common with unusual cars where previous owners have abused them. They quickly pass them on when signs of playing up are evident rather than look after them and fix them when they go wrong. At least when it is stripped and inspected it'll be done right and you'll know what has been done etc.
Old 18-09-12, 10:44 AM   #20
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Sorry to hear, but at least its do-able, could have been worse I suppose.

With all that power on hand, think I would be guilty of spirited driving and a few revs.

Best of luck with the strip down.