theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Parts Wanted

Old 11-10-12, 06:31 PM   #1
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Wanted: Cylinder heads, Valves & Cams

For my dissertation I'm looking into designing a cam-less valve train system. As such I'm on the lookout for some cylinder heads to use as a base. Dont need to be flat so maybe someone has one that has warped or cracked. I will probably end up cutting through it to expose the cross section anyway.

But it would need valves and cams then I can take all the measurements I require to produce CAD and numerical models.

Oh dont have to be MG-R either as long as they are overhead cams.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 06:48 PM   #2
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
sounds mighty intresting 8 valve engine would have a lot bigger valves, may be easier to work around
Old 11-10-12, 06:50 PM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchy View Post
sounds mighty intresting 8 valve engine would have a lot bigger valves, may be easier to work around
Yer bigger valves could make packaging the actuators alot easier. Dont want to make it harder than necessary for myself!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 11-10-12, 07:33 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Is it pneumatic valves you're going for ?.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 07:36 PM   #5
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Dunno yet, will probably be hydraulic or electromagnet but still to finish my research on the various options

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 11-10-12, 08:00 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Research material

http://scarbsf1.com/valves.html
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 08:18 PM   #7
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
dont bmw use electro magnetic?
Old 11-10-12, 08:19 PM   #8
Ritchy
technically an expertish

l series is an 8 valve i think? someone may have an old porous head lying about perhaps
Old 11-10-12, 08:29 PM   #9
Ritchy
technically an expertish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-V8-3...item20cc3831a3

ideal? one for working, and one for a cutaway?
Old 11-10-12, 08:39 PM   #10
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petet16 View Post
Cheers Pete Was going to look into the use of springs and pneumatics as used in the F1 cars, MotoGP and the new Koenigsegg engine and that has some good info on it. Although the still use a camshaft to control valve lift.

There are a number of as I call them Hybrid systems like BMW's Valvetronic and Fiats Multiair that although still use cams use some form of mechanical or hydraulic actuation to alter the lift or duration.

What I am hoping to do is to remove the cam all together. There are a number of companies that have tried it. Believe Ricardo were/are working on a hydraulic version and Valeo had an electromagnetic setup that they were testing in two peugeot 207s. Must have 15+ technical papers on various systems and test benches that Im working my way through

Theres alot of stuff to cover and the actual actuation is only a small part going to have to try and setup a system that will be capable of sensing the valve lift and the RPM or throttle postion and then feeding it back to a standalone control unit that Im going to have to program. Which hopefully so alter the lift to achieve max performance or reliability depending on situation. BMW have spent millions on it. Still its a 2 year project so I have some time

2012 BMW 320d Sport