Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
no front splitter

Much better out theyre mate
Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 05:06 PM   #23
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
only thing mine ever needed in 24k was a new vis power motor.
just go for very low mileage imo, there are a few left about.

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:32 PM   #24
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
Way over what they fetch.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 07:24 PM   #25
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Ive had mine since Feb 2010. Got belts done, (early, as I had the money) new rear box, centre pipe, new battery. Its the most reliable car I have had for years, it was a cherished car before me and continues to be loved. Thats what keeps him young.

The only problem I have, is there aren;t enough sunny days in the year to really enjoy driving him. Window down, winding country lane, no cameras, or bumps mmmmmmmm bliss.

ZS180 cures all ills
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 08:02 PM   #26
bLuE_UK

bLuE_UK is on a distinguished road
I certainly understand the allure, at the current prices they make very tempting purchases.

I've had mine since sept 2009. I used it around 6 days a week up until august last year when my mileage tailed off dramatically following the end of my placement year. 5 days were commuting and the 6th was generally a day of driving local b-roads or trips with me in the car and my friend on his bike. I think I did around 13k in that time. Would average anywhere between 18mpg when I first got it () to highs of 30-32 (which I think was higher than the book figures? unless i continually worked it out wrong ) once I dropped my cruising speed to and form work. economical enough for me given it is the 180. This wasn't all driving like a saint I'd have the odd bit of fun on the A46 to and from work, and my weekend blasts.

Clutch bearing doo dad failed recently but had been on its way out for a while apparently as that was the cause of the judder when pulling off, which was present when I bought it but only under certain revs. Only other problems were a wet passenger foot-well and no speed 1 and 2 on the fans, both easily fixed after searching on here.

Brother wasn't so lucky with his, as he has had numerous issues with his clutch cylinder brackets, and did a fraction of the mileage. he's currently selling it now he's got it all sorted as he doesn't want to worry about it any more having also went back to university.

So to recap, was it a problem being my daily? nope it was a godsend, put on some music and head home at a steady rate of knots or cruise effortlessly doing everything in 5th I found it suited what ever driving style I wanted. Reasonable economy all things considered and stood up to everything i threw at it without skipping a beat, well until the clutch :P but that was no longer when it was my daily and how often will clutches fail? not often.

If you don't mind the economy for 20k or more a year then I'd say go for it, you know what they are like to drive and how much fun you can have. Find a sorted one like you intend to do and I really don't see it being a problem.

Best of luck with your car hunting.
bLuE_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 10:03 PM   #27
tb steve

tb steve has a spectacular aura abouttb steve has a spectacular aura about
had mine since 2003 new,think i have had no failures(that i can think of) at all in 50k not inc services and performance parts just genral common faults realy its never let me down
tb steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:00 AM   #28
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Only issue I had was the clutch on my Mk1 which I replaced for ?450. Release bearing went.

Repaired the vis motors on all three of the 180s I've had though.

Trim was an issue on the Mk2s. Handles and rattles in the doors - all easily fixed though.

An ST220 would be a good alternative though. They're coming down and are good cars - sound awesome and would give a bit more space and comfort for the mileage you're doing.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 10:37 AM   #29
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
An ST220 would be a good alternative though. They're coming down and are good cars - sound awesome and would give a bit more space and comfort for the mileage you're doing.
But are FUGLY!! IMO of course...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:25 AM   #30
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
But are FUGLY!! IMO of course...

I never said they were pretty ....

But I do know a man that would sell you a very nice one.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote