theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 28-11-13, 08:16 PM   #21
Chaz

Chaz is on a distinguished road
Update..

Next I did a few random little bits, just to smarten it up a bit..

BRM heater knobs..

LED interior light, which is well bright :lol:

Bought and aquired a few random bits..

Another MAF, 180 badges , new headlight bulbs and a boost gauge..

Boost gauge piping, silencer for boost gauge piping (stops the rasp noise), LED side and number plate bulbs, T-piece, stubby aerial (original is mahoosive), new jubilee clips for boost hoses..

It had some cheap style aero wipers so decided to get rid and get some proper bosch aero flats..

Old cheapos

Changed my aerial also..

Standard one is huge..

Loads better, havnt lost much reception with the radio either, its just as good.

Changed the old crappy jubilees with my new beafier ones..

Will be needing these bad boys once I get the boost wound up

Changed my number plate and sidelight bulbs over..

Loads better

Got the new headlight bulbs in also, they are 80w rallye bulbs, got a bluey/green tint to them...

Colour difference compared to main beam..

Just need to get some better main beam bulbs in now!

Grabbed an old vent from my old MK2 to fit my boost gauge into and also found some heated seat switches to fill the blanks, I hate blanks!

Kept my old chrome oil filler cap from my ZR, stuck that on..

Stuck the 180 badges on, had to be done, its a proper 180 rep now

Bought a couple more bits..

Dark ice short shifter, more boost gauge piping as the other stuff was crap and kept kinking, 100w white rallye bulbs and a plastic MG battery cover..

Also kept my old fuse box cover from my ZR and the TF mirror with the map reading lights in..

Got them all fitted..

Battery and fuse box covers..

TF mirror, just needs wiring in..

And finally the new main beam bulbs, which are proper bright, never really use main beam but they are there mainly for the knobs with the 12000k HIDs that come towards me

Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-13, 08:17 PM   #22
Chaz

Update..

The ZS had aparently been serviced not long ago but had no proof and im anal so thought id give it another one just incase, so got all the bits bought..

Also bought some new rear quarter panel badges as the old ones are fading..

Next up was exhaust time, dont like the standard one at all, looks so boring, found some twin janspeed 3" off a ZS180 but they sold before I got to them, shame... So instead I went for a 3" outward rolled tip, only a universal jobby but I dont really care, its a diesel at the end of the day, doesnt matter whats on it :lol:

May take a bit of fabricating to get on, but shouldnt be too hard..

Next up was the headlights, driverside one is scratched and the passenger one misty, the previous owner did have ago at the passenger one and its better than it was but not perfect so thought id have ago..

Bought some fareca G10 to do the body work but thought id try it on my headlights first..

Before..

After..

Not bad!

It has helped IMO..

Also I decided I wanted to remove the ZS badge off the boot and just leave the main MG badge, so I picked it off and used a bit of thinners on a rag to get rid of the clue and like a knob, I got carried away and was left with this!

Dull paintwork and can still see the outline!

So thought id put the G10 to work and..

Boom, sorted. Thank **** :lol:

I thought I had proper messed it up, I cant wait to do the whole car with this G10, its amazing stuff!
Old 28-11-13, 08:18 PM   #23
Chaz

Update..

All the service kit arrived and a few other bits!

Cambelt set, inlet gaskets, polybush rear arb bushes etc..

And two stickers from Dazzer for my fuse box lid!

Looks better!

Got my dark ice turbo outlet pipe on, along with boost controller set to 21 psi..

Next I got the servicing done..

Castrols finest going in

While I was changing the inlet gasket, I thought id change my injector leak offs for some prettier ones also..

Didnt have a new inlet gasket when I did the injectors so just used gasket sealer, didnt fair too well..

New leak offs..

Next I gave the maf a blast with brake cleaner and cleaned up my cone filter..

Look at all that **** that came out the MAF!

Cone filter wasnt much better..

mmmmm...

This is what I used..

This is what im left with, niceeee.

Got my new boost gauge piping in with silencer..

Was going to fit it into the drivers side vent but then the window mists up, never use the centre vents anyway so perfect really..

Next up was to gut the cat, was going to go for a decat but decided a gutted cat would look more "OEM" come MOT time I know it doesnt apply for diesels but some testers are funny about decat pipes..

Its got a nice whistle to it now, seems to rev a lot more freely too.

Then I decided the engine bay needed a seriously good clean, been meaning to do it but wanted to get all the engine stuff sorted first..

Before..

After..

Much better , Autosmart G101, a brush, patience and a pressure washer is all you need!
Old 28-11-13, 08:20 PM   #24
Chaz

Update..

Recently had the ZS on the rollers, so in preparation thought id have a look at my brakes as im sure the drivers front was binding slightly, and it was!

Sliders were seized in, so cleaned them up all round, slapped loads of grease on them, put it all back together and that sorted it.

Also painted all the brakes while I was at it, as they were a tad rusty..

Finally got my backbox on, ended up finishing it in the dark, so its not as perfect as id like, but not a bad attempt, just sticks out a bit too much

Il have it off when I get change and cut an inch or two off the pipe leading to the backbox and re-weld it..

Also treated myself to a dark ice front brace..

Got it fitted..

Before..

After..

Was a bit tight going on, its fairly close to a few things but doesnt touch so its all good!

Had to bend this aircon pipe out the way to get it on..

Also ordered a new drivebelt to do with the cambelts when I get round to it, all Gates Powergrip

Found out the hard way that, crap weather, extra torque and cheap tyres isnt a good mix!

:facepalm:

And thats how it stands so far!

Quite happy with it at the moment

I did have it on the rollers, heres a quick pic..

Will upload a video a bit later, with the results
Old 28-11-13, 08:41 PM   #25
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
You've been busy, nice result.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-13, 08:42 PM   #26
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Awesome Chaz...... Not sure why its badged as a 180 though, when it sounds like a Tractor. Other than that, pure awesomeness.
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-13, 08:46 PM   #27
Chaz

Rolling road day..

Heres the video from the rolling road day..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNyyvMOiEvM

Quite smokey considering it was on standard 115 map, mafam was turned up full though but it is running 21 psi instead of 19 so imagine what it would of been like at 19 psi :lol:

Made 138 bhp, not bad before remap, my old ZR was 142 bhp before remap and 155 bhp after, so hoping for some good figures now that I have remapped it as of the other day... It smokes a lot more also, should be fairly decent torque now, the dyno played up and didnt work out the torque correctly, it said I had 180 lb ft when these have 190 odd from standard, it should be around 230 lb ft at the min..

Just waiting for another rolling road day to be planned and il be putting the beast back on, id be happy with 150 bhp and 250 lb ft to be fair..

My old ZR was running 274 lb ft and it pulled like mad but munched the clutch up, cant be doing with that on the ZS!

The remap has now deleted the EGR etc from the ECU so no more engine management lights and no more annoying 115 flat spot either, its got a nice and smooth power delivery from 1800rpm right to 4200rpm now..

Thats all for now!
Old 28-11-13, 09:02 PM   #28
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
Very nice. Did Dakta do your MAFless remap?

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-13, 09:44 PM   #29
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Puts my car to shame - but agree with Pompski on the 180 badges, if it's hitting 180 then fair enough, if it isn't then it should wear appropriate badges.
Old 28-11-13, 09:58 PM   #30
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright View Post
Very nice. Did Dakta do your MAFless remap?
Chaz is a reidy agent so maps his own

Nice looking car, needs an ATC conversion though!
Good job in the headlights. Mine lasted all of two days while the compound filling the scratches wore away!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote