AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-12-10, 05:08 PM   #1
OllieZS

OllieZS is on a distinguished road
My ZS 180 British Racing Green

Hi everyone

I thought I would start a progress thread on my car.

I have a lot of plans for the car, most of them based around track performance, increasing and prolonging!

The car at the moment is standard.

I did my first trackday in the car this year August 20th at Castle Combe in Wiltshire.

All I can say is the car was excellent.

Last edited by OllieZS; 23-12-10 at 05:20 PM.
OllieZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-10, 05:14 PM   #2
OllieZS

Hi everyone.

I have done my trackday at Castle Combe. And what an excellent day!

I arrived just before 8am as was requested by CC.

After signing on I had the car sound tested - 80DB which was tested at 1/2 metre from the exhaust at 4500rpm static.
I then attended the drivers briefing at 8.30am. I learnt that 25% of all U.K circuit accidents happen at Quarry corner!

The organisers had all of us split into 3 groups, I was in group 1 which included 3 scoobys, a Lotus Exige (10 plate) and a Cayman
which was very fast running R888s.

When I arrived the track was damp/greasy and the sky was grey and dull but no rain! I was hoping and praying for some sun!

Group 1 were first out on track at 9am, the track was still damp in patches more so in some areas so I was cautious until the tyres came up to temperature and I got a feel for the car.
On my 3rd lap I had a bit of a twitch moment over a particularly wet patch entering Quarry, 100mph plus cold rear tyres! Nothing came of it thankfully!
I also found through the ESSES I just couldn't put any power down and found carrying speed fairly difficult through them, I must admit I did think to myself if it carries on like this the day may be a disappointment!

How wrong was I!

After the other groups went out and the track and air temps began to rise a dry line emerged then the entire track did.
The MG came alive, I was able to brake later and later and lean on it more and more through the corners, the brakes I found to be very good as my confidence in the car rose.
After the second session I noticed I had lost some braking performance from the top of the pedal, but this remained the same throughout the rest of the day thankfully, however the front discs were starting to show signs of overheating, I had rings appearing on the discs whic increased throughout the day BUT this did not affect the braking power at all, no vibration or juddering just the same consistent good power!

Whilst we were in our group sessions I did find there wasn't any cars I could play with, but this did allow me to learn the car better!
By about 10.30ish we went to open pit lane and I had chance to play with more cars then, some cars I caught up with and overtook were =

* Lotus Elise S1
* MG ZR160 - stripped out aswell
* BMW M3 E46
* Various other 3 series in differant states of tune and engine
* Lancer EVO VI Tommi Makinen - this was one I was surprised about! I caught him up over 4-5 laps and overtook (naughtily) under braking into Tower, I then stayed in front for 3 laps, he then passed me but didnt pull a gap of anymore than 2 transits up until the chequered flag! I later learnt I know the owner! Hello Phil if you ever read this!

There were various caterhams etc there, but they were in a different league to the rest of us!

I had noticed in the paddock there was another MG ZS 180, and it belongs to Gillian Goldsmith who is an instructor and race driver!
Gillian couldnt speak highly enough of the car, commenting on Thruxton using them as the race school cars because they are so good!
The ZS180 is definitely a car for those in the know.
Gillian also asked if I had ever had any tuition on track before to which I haven't, and said she would come out with me to give me a few pointers for free! Fellow MG owners!
We managed to be allowed out, we shouldnt have been really as the track was closing for lunch shortly! but she knew the Marshalls!

So a big thankyou to Gillian who was very nice and helpful.

After lunch I was out for a few more sessions before the front brakes called time! I had reduced the front pads back to the backing plates!
I must say tho, right up until the end they were consistent and strong! the front pads and discs had only 300 miles on them! now I need new ones! more on that one soon.....

I absolutely loved the day, I was out almost solidly from 9am till 2pm, and the car was truly great, I was one of the fastest along the back of the circuit through the ESSES + OLD PADDOCK BEND + HAMMERDOWN + TOWER where the MGs excellent high speed direction changeing and stability where impeccable, the car is ever so neutral and very grippy allowing you to do what you want with it!

I found that I was heel and toeing the car absolutly naturally the pedals are very well spaced for it (something I doubted on the road).
This also contributed to the demise of my brakes due to how late this allowed me to brake!

The video below is me entering Quarry and the following straight

Last edited by OllieZS; 23-12-10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 23-12-10, 05:25 PM   #3
OllieZS

Hi everybody.

Today I had the MG on the rolling road at Interpro in thornbury.

I arrived at 8.30am, and honestly had no idea of what kind of figures to expect given the car is on 126,000 miles!

I have had my reservations about just how well the VIS has been working so I asked them to check everything on the car engine wise
to know how 'healthy' the engine is.

Well after the power runs, the rolling road operator Dave came over to talk to me about his findings! and I must admit to expecting a lower than standard output, how wrong was I!

185 BHP @ 6543rpm
with an at the wheels figure of 125 BHP
174 FT/LBS @ 4333rpm

When Dave approached me he had the graph out of sight and started to talk of a stored fault code and I thought oh no.....
Turns out the the fault code is only for the engine management light bulb not working!

Dave informed me that the VIS is working absolutely fine, which showed in the graph with a very linear and powerful torque curve, with approx 110 lb/ft available from just over 1000rpm, and after the torque peaking at 174 lb/ft at 4333rpm the car did not drop under 150 lb/ft even upto the rev limit at approx 6750rpm. Between 5000rpm and 6250rpm the car held 165 lb/ft (approx).

The power graph was lovely and linear, from approx 5750 to the 6250rpm the engine is holding a linear 180ish bhp peaking at max power 185 at 6543rpm holding until the limiter calls time.

I am very happy with the figures as you'd imagine, the car is standard with 126000 miles on the clock and ran on 95 ron/octane fuel!

This does just prove that a well looked after car can still make the numbers and then some

I have put the lack of power I thought I was feeling down to the crappy tyres on there at the mo, which are scrabbling for grip any time some torque is introduced to them!
Old 23-12-10, 05:27 PM   #4
OllieZS

I have now replaced the tyres with Kumho Ecsta sports, which so far have proved to be head and shoulders above the previous tyres!
The recent weather and road conditions tho have not allowed me to really get a feel for them and there suitability to the car.
Old 23-12-10, 05:50 PM   #5
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Great posts mate - glad the car worked well for you. Plenty of fun to be had in the future too.

Beginning to think that there will be more ZSs on tracks throughout the UK than getting driven on the roads !!!
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-10, 06:18 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Great thread mate. You think Quarry is scary, the track itself is alot slower than it used to be back in the 80's, back then they had no chicanes ruining the laps! Back then I was running a stage 3 spec Magnum and a 185 bhp Chevette. The ZS made it seem smooth in comparison.

What mods has your zed got? Seems you have a very good one even with those miles.
Old 23-12-10, 06:24 PM   #7
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Nice pictures with the post..
Car looks great on the track .
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-10, 06:25 PM   #8
OllieZS

Thanks for the replies guys

Stamford, the car is standard apart from an ITG panel filter.

I have also recently just purchased the V.H.S damper kit for the car, they are Bilstein units manufactered to V.H.S specifications.

It was'nt cheap but it should be the best!

Unfortunatly I wont be having them fitted until January due to funds!
Old 23-12-10, 06:42 PM   #9
OllieZS

This is taken from the information that came with the kit

Vehicle Handling Solutions LTD

MG ZS suspension kit

The MG ZS suspension upgrade consists of four high quality Bilstein monotube dampers. For optimum performance, we recommend the use of the original ZS road springs.
The dampers are tuned to provide a more mature dynamic performance, with a better compromise between ride comfort and control. This is possible because the monotube dampers have a much greater valve area that the standard MG items and the improved valve response allows better overall control.
The car benefits from better control in pitch and roll, especially noticeable at higher speeds, which improves security and driver confidence.
The overtly sporting character of the MG ZS is improved but the ride quality is far more refined.
The dampers offer better wheel control over broken and pot holed road surfaces, leading to much less suspension operating noise and the resulting reduction in jarring gives an upmarket quality 'feel'.

Dynamic performance with finesse!

The kit has a two year guarentee and the dampers can be fully rebuilt and re-valved if required.

V.H.S is ran by 3 MG chassis engineers who set up there outfit when the company folded.

In my opinion the best people to help me realise the true potential of my car!
Old 23-12-10, 10:36 PM   #10
Dave MGT

Dave MGT is on a distinguished road
Great report! Cc is a great track. Cannot wait to take my new ZS out there asap, only 20mins from me. My advice mod wise is to focus on a lsd or torsen diff and lightweight flywheel. Those mods will transform the car!!
Will be very interested to see how you get on with those new shocks! Should be a nice compromise on a track/roadcar.
Dave MGT is offline   Reply With Quote