theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 18-03-11, 11:03 AM   #1
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Repair or scrap... repaired!

Hey there!

So I joined these forums a little over a month ago but so far haven't shared any pics of my baby as she's not in the best of shapes at the moment...

To cut a long story short, one night back in January, I was hit by someone who ran a red light. Fairly low speed collision, point of impact: front corners. Car still drives, steering is straight, no leaks etc but front bumper (Mk2) is cracked + the bonnet shifted about inch and is jammed shut.

Insurance have offered 4200?. The dealer and insurance costed the repairs at 3800-4000 (french dealer prices = ???) and that's basically just new bumper, bonnet, wing, headlight and labour, i.e. there was no check for more serious damage underneath. The problem is they cannot get the parts.

I'm trying to decide now if it's worth getting the car repaired myself for less or to just let them scrap it. I'm wondering if I would have the same problem finding parts?

I know full damage can't be guessed by one pic. but for the main body parts, how easy would they be to source in Britain? (bumper and wing seem to be the most difficult to find) or would I be mad to try to undertake these repairs at all given the the settlement offered by the insurance? I like my ZS and don't like seeing it go off the road for what seems like such minor damage!

Hope you all had a good Paddy's Day!
Phil

Last edited by pheelay; 07-06-11 at 07:58 PM.
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-11, 11:08 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Not a bad payout all things considered. What have you been quoted for buying it back? That will determine if its financially viable. Other thing is, if it's a left hooker what's the chances of finding another if you intend to have another ZS?
Old 18-03-11, 11:19 AM   #3
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The panels would be pretty easy to source in the UK, some new and some s/h, do French insurance repairs have to be with new parts as is the case in the UK.

The pay out offered isn't bad, but it seems a shame to write it off for such light damage.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-11, 11:29 AM   #4
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
600? to buy back. If I understood the guy correctly (language barriers!) insurance would pay 4200 - 600 = 3600? to keep the car and repair myself. As there's no safety issue, there's no problem doing the repairs elsewhere and no need to get it checked/tested after the repairs.

It's right-hand-drive (took it with me from Ireland, complete with the awe-inspiring 1.4L engine) and if I replaced it I'd try pick one up in the UK. The second hand car prices here are ridiclous. Dervs are going for 7-8000?
Old 18-03-11, 11:38 AM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Could source 2nd hand parts and get them sprayed up, be a cheaper fix.

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/presul...php?slctCar=mg

Dont know about shipping costs but dont suppose they would not be too bad.

Old 18-03-11, 11:38 AM   #6
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
I found that when I was looking for a 4x4 when I lived out there... at least 3 times more sometimes.
Good luck with getting the car sorted.. or getting another.
Old 18-03-11, 12:46 PM   #7
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
New Wing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-L-H-Fron...item19b7bd719c
Bumper
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-MK2-FACE...item564240ee94
Bonnet
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-ZS-Rover-45...item25607f36ef

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-11, 03:06 PM   #8
wackyschild

wackyschild is on a distinguished road
Got to be worth repairing I would have thought as long as the damage is limited to what we can see in the photo.You can get the parts in the UK, even 2cnd hand ones, I'd hope you should be able to repair her well within the money given out by the insurance.
wackyschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-11, 03:24 PM   #9
marts66
Site Supporter

marts66 is on a distinguished road
Keep it on the road, the world needs more Zeds

Sarcasm....the lowest form of humour and the highest form of vulgarity.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.

TF135 cams, 52mm throttle body, PECO SS catback, K&N Apollo, PAYEN headgasket, Tinted rear lenses, HID 6000k headlights, 100w mains, citroen washers, grooved discs with Mintex redbox pads, Sony Xplod + USB + 10 disc changer, sub + amp, one off alloy bonnet badge, rear headrests and the beat goes on...
marts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-11, 05:57 PM   #10
pheelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by marts66 View Post
Keep it on the road, the world needs more Zeds

Lol, won't argue with you there!!

It's time I got myself a 180 all the same but I will go with the buy back option and do the repairs leisurely in the background.