theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-01-16, 07:38 PM   #1
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
2016 already off to a bad start

Just landed in Dublin airport tonight and as I was driving home the temperature gauge just shot up into the red and with the heat of the engine at that stage I'm pretty sure I've cooked the headgasket so now I need a cheap runabout but I don't know what to do with the ZS in the meantime. I can't sell it because I would be lucky to get 100 quid for it, scrap value is way too low and I don't have the space nor the time to break it.

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 08:51 AM   #2
john180

john180 will become famous soon enough
That's not good hope you work something out.
Old 04-01-16, 09:56 AM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Shame, worth looking at the gasket???

Maybe worth looking at a good mechanical one in the same colour, but bad body that you swap panels over.
Old 04-01-16, 11:22 AM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
That is bad luck ....

Dont get the "cheap runabout" thing though.

If you're talking about £300-£400 on a cheap runabout, what does that get you ? Garbage with issues I have no doubt.

Spend the same on the Zs and you have a sorted reliable proper car ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 11:28 AM   #5
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Did you find the source of the problem? A coolant leak or blockage etc? Definitely try fill coolant and bleed first, ya never know, if you didn't drive too far, you might be lucky
Old 04-01-16, 02:31 PM   #6
LukeZS96

Yeah I think I will just repair it, atleast I know then that it will have been done and done properly so I know the car will be reliable. It will be the weekend before I get to look at the car so I will re attach the hose, fill it with coolant and bleed it and see if all the pipes are heating up the way they should and that the heater is blowing hot so I can rule out any blockages. The thermostat was done 3 weeks ago and it was bled properly and this was the first time it overheated so I can rule out both the thermostat and an airlock as reasons for it over heating and the rad is only 18 months old so I doubt that is a reason for it but then again you never know. I will have a look the weekend and see where to go from there. Cheers lads
Old 04-01-16, 02:51 PM   #7
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZS96 View Post
Yeah I think I will just repair it, atleast I know then that it will have been done and done properly so I know the car will be reliable. It will be the weekend before I get to look at the car so I will re attach the hose, fill it with coolant and bleed it and see if all the pipes are heating up the way they should and that the heater is blowing hot so I can rule out any blockages. The thermostat was done 3 weeks ago and it was bled properly and this was the first time it overheated so I can rule out both the thermostat and an airlock as reasons for it over heating and the rad is only 18 months old so I doubt that is a reason for it but then again you never know. I will have a look the weekend and see where to go from there. Cheers lads
Good man - good luck with it ....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 03:50 PM   #8
LukeZS96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Good man - good luck with it ....
Cheers Dan, will keep everyone posted on how it goes
Old 04-01-16, 04:21 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You never know, if you caught it as the coolant went you may be lucky.

My guess is that one of the hoses you disturbed when doing the thermostat has let go.

Fingers crossed for you.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 04:39 PM   #10
LukeZS96

the hose that let go was the bottom hose at the coolant rail. I disconnected it at the rad so it is a possibility. I think I will just replace the hose incase the pressure build up is what caused the hose to let go and it has fatigued the rubber.