theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-11-17, 09:46 AM   #1
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
New car time... opinions.

So, after 2 years of my TD being gradually restored in the garage, my race car being not exactly a daily (or road legal) and the 45 coming off the road for winter, I've found myself with loads of cars but non I actually want to use on a daily basis for fear of ruining them.
Our cars, as much as I love them, are getting long in the tooth and require almost continuous work to keep them tip top... which is fine for a toy/ weekend car but for hassle free commuting I'm at the stage where I need to start looking at other alternatives.
I've been in this position before and ended up with a dull as dish water BMW 330d. It was fast in a straight line but other than that it was just plain boring in just about every way so it went after just 18 months and I carried on with my MG Rovers. The lesson from that was being a sheep and going for the typical German rep mobile was the wrong move for me. So that rules out any boring stuff like that.
I think I want what would be an evolution of what the ZS was. Something relatively practical with reasonable pace and most importantly, a well sorted chassis. Essentially a more modern hot hatch. That said, I'm nearly 30 and don't want anything too loud and in your face like the new civic type r for example, as good as it looks I'd feel a bit of a tool being seen in one anywhere other than outside JD Sports or McDonald's.

I've come up with a bit of a short list, what are your opinions/ experiences of these? Any other suggestions?

1. Renaultsport Megane RS250/ 265. I'm going to look at a grey 250 cup (limited slip diff and stiffer springs/ roll bars than the sport model) tomorrow. Seems a bargain compared to the rest of the list...

2. Mk3 octavia VRS estate petrol. Looks ok I think, quite subtle. Gets great reviews but strikes me as a jack of all trades compromise sort of hot hatch (estate).

3. Leon cupra 280 hatch. Again great reviews and sounds like a wolf in sheep's clothing which I like. I'm just not sure if it looks a little too plain. (I don't want a golf r because it's a golf and everybody has one, also they are over priced in my opinion compared to the seat).

4. Focus ST mk3. Again probably in estate form as I think it looks better than the hatch. Just not sure the "fast ford", baseball cap on the wrong way image is for me. I can't afford an RS...

5. Audi, BMW, Merc, yawn, grey, bland, boring, travel lodge, polyester trousers, Bluetooth tusk, traffic jam, every man and his dog, just can't see me going down that route again.

What have I missed??

Last edited by ZS Phil; 10-11-17 at 09:50 AM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 10:28 AM   #2
LukeZS96

LukeZS96 is on a distinguished road
Octavia VRS without a question or shadow of a doubt for me. They are practical, reliable, comfortable for cruising down the motorway but show it a back road and put the boot down it is a great drive. Pretty much on par with the ZS handling wise and has plenty of poke. I'm in the exact same position as you are. My ZS has 284k KMs on the clock and I want to keep it as a weekend toy and get something else as a daily beater. I just haven't got the money this side of christmas so it will be a new car in the new year for me aswell
LukeZS96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 11:44 AM   #3
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
For me either the Focus ST estate or MK3 Octavia VRS.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
jc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:39 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Budget? What sort of a daily drive have you got? Motorway, stop start etc? The Renault will be tough I reckon and although very highly rated, I reckon it's one for very keen drivers on A roads and the occassional track.

From the list I'd go Seat. The ST estate's a good car. I had one. Torque steer was awful, but then again I should've just calmedmyself and kept it really. I'd have another. ST3 has all the toys, but I'd get a 2 so long as it had the upgrade grey alloys and red calipers.

Test drove a DSG seat cupra before placing the order for my 335. Snarling performance. Quite brutal at times. Harsh ride though made me go for another BMW.

Have a look at a 135i ..... Practical 5 dr with manual or auto with RWD and sub 5.0 to 60.

(Even though I'm very much on of those polyester trouser wearing boring guys .... )

Last edited by Dan1971; 10-11-17 at 02:47 PM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 05:32 PM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I expect to be in an Alfa next.
Old 10-11-17, 07:27 PM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
From that list the only car I would consider is the VRS... the rest just are not me and don't appeal

That being said, I am not you, infact only you are you so only you can decide which is best for you. I don't like the modern BMWs (that being said, an M3 -E90- is starting the grow on me, but its hardly a modern BMW these days!) or any Renault, but thats my personal opinion, you might have other opinions.

Actually I would have difficulty choosing any modern car (within the last 5 - 7 year age bracket) that is decent price anyway (again definitions of decently priced may vary between people)

it's your car, test drive a few and make a decision on which you prefer - whichever way you go, good luck and post pictures to show us

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 07:32 PM   #7
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
in your list the leon, personally is go alfa 1750tb tct guilietta
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 09:54 PM   #8
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZS96 View Post
Octavia VRS without a question or shadow of a doubt for me. They are practical, reliable, comfortable for cruising down the motorway but show it a back road and put the boot down it is a great drive. Pretty much on par with the ZS handling wise and has plenty of poke. I'm in the exact same position as you are. My ZS has 284k KMs on the clock and I want to keep it as a weekend toy and get something else as a daily beater. I just haven't got the money this side of christmas so it will be a new car in the new year for me aswell
After I'd written the post I went and looked at a vRS, a real high spec TDI with DSG estate. All the toys, larger sat nav system, auto park, heated screen, sub woofer in boot etc etc.
I actually liked it far more than I thought I would, not exactly what I'd call quick but plenty of torque and DSG is effortless.
The thing I liked most was how much of a quality product it felt. I couldn't really push it too much handling wise on a 5 mile test drive but for a road car I'm sure it will be adequate.
Very tempted but need to see this Renault first and ideally take a petrol VRS out (300bhp after a basic map is appealing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc600 View Post
For me either the Focus ST estate or MK3 Octavia VRS.
I'm leaning away from the focus I think but see my reply above for the vRS! Definitely a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Budget? What sort of a daily drive have you got? Motorway, stop start etc? The Renault will be tough I reckon and although very highly rated, I reckon it's one for very keen drivers on A roads and the occassional track.

From the list I'd go Seat. The ST estate's a good car. I had one. Torque steer was awful, but then again I should've just calmedmyself and kept it really. I'd have another. ST3 has all the toys, but I'd get a 2 so long as it had the upgrade grey alloys and red calipers.

Test drove a DSG seat cupra before placing the order for my 335. Snarling performance. Quite brutal at times. Harsh ride though made me go for another BMW.

Have a look at a 135i ..... Practical 5 dr with manual or auto with RWD and sub 5.0 to 60.

(Even though I'm very much on of those polyester trouser wearing boring guys .... )
When we move house in a few weeks my commute will be around 30-40 mins each way comprising mostly of nice flowing B roads with some some 50mph stop start A roads. Other than leisure, hardly any motorway work.
I remember you getting the ST3 and saying you loved it at first but I also remember you getting shut soon after and getting a fiesta 1.0. I guess I'd need to drive one but I think your experiences concur with most reviews (which are taken with a pinch of salt of course). I much prefer the facelift but thats push my budget somewhat, especially for an ST3. Good to hear some real world feedback though, so cheers for that.
Haha, my German car banter is all in jest! Truth be told, I've driven big diesel engined Audis and BMWs and they are well put together, comfortable and very effective mile munchers, I have to give them that. I've never driven a proper performance orientated one though, maybe I should? I guess its a double edged sword, the fact that they are so popular is probably not without good cause but for me its the popularity and "keeping up with the Joneses" aspect of them that puts me off. Maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I expect to be in an Alfa next.
I did briefly consider a 159 2.4 JTDM but they are getting on a bit now. The little Mito and Guilietta do nothing for me and the new saloon (whatever its called) is too new and expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
From that list the only car I would consider is the VRS... the rest just are not me and don't appeal

That being said, I am not you, infact only you are you so only you can decide which is best for you. I don't like the modern BMWs (that being said, an M3 -E90- is starting the grow on me, but its hardly a modern BMW these days!) or any Renault, but thats my personal opinion, you might have other opinions.

Actually I would have difficulty choosing any modern car (within the last 5 - 7 year age bracket) that is decent price anyway (again definitions of decently priced may vary between people)

it's your car, test drive a few and make a decision on which you prefer - whichever way you go, good luck and post pictures to show us
This is the exact problem I've got, new(ish) cars just don't have the same appeal as stuff that's older. I think that's largely down to what you grew up with though. I'm hoping to be able to drag myself into the present without kicking and screaming too much along the way.
As above, I drove a MK3 vRS today, albeit an oil burner, but was pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
in your list the leon, personally is go alfa 1750tb tct guilietta
Have you driven the Alfa Jason? Whats the chassis like? I cant see me going for one, I just cant get on with the looks. Why the tct over manual out of interest?

So, need to go and get this megane out of my system tomorrow and take it from there. Its the cheapest in the short list and potentially the sweetest chassis if the road tests are to be believed but we'll see!
Old 10-11-17, 10:16 PM   #9
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
I was looking for a more modern car to use for shows, weekends and family car now that the Freelander has no boot. And has become my work horse.

Looked at so many cars, most newer ones had such high mileage or were boring. I wasn't too bothered about power. But made sure I could remap them with good results.

I was close to buying a Octavia VRS, petrol 1.8T. Was nice to drive, comfortable etc but I just don't know if I like the look of them. It's that front grill!

So in the end, I ended up with another ZS lol.

Think the diesel VRS with DSG box would be the best option for you, by what you've said so far.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
jc600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 08:55 AM   #10
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
looked at honda dc2? dc5? fd? fk?

if you want back to basics nasp, stop on a penny and amazing handling then have a drive in a dc2, personally i’d go abs model
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote