Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-11-17, 09:28 AM   #11
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
looked at honda dc2? dc5? fd? fk?

if you want back to basics nasp, stop on a penny and amazing handling then have a drive in a dc2, personally i’d go abs model
Trouble with those is they are all getting old- same sort of era as the ZS so no doubt keeping on top of rust and wear/ tear items is going to be not much different to my Rovers in the work that's needed to keep them good. That's what I'm trying to get away from hence looking at newer stuff.
Those RS megans always seem to go ok on track days and the press love them so I think Ill go and test drive the RS 250 today and make my own mind up about it. If I cant get on with it maybe try a Cupra 280 if I can find one I can afford within a million mile radius! Failing that, I did quite like the vRS, just felt plush although not very quick I must admit. Ample for a road car though.
Old 11-11-17, 12:43 PM   #12
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Trouble with those is they are all getting old- same sort of era as the ZS so no doubt keeping on top of rust and wear/ tear items is going to be not much different to my Rovers in the work that's needed to keep them good. That's what I'm trying to get away from hence looking at newer stuff.
Those RS megans always seem to go ok on track days and the press love them so I think Ill go and test drive the RS 250 today and make my own mind up about it. If I cant get on with it maybe try a Cupra 280 if I can find one I can afford within a million mile radius! Failing that, I did quite like the vRS, just felt plush although not very quick I must admit. Ample for a road car though.
I think you're gonna go for the Renault if it's in decent condition. Still waiting for the budget?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-17, 04:10 PM   #13
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
I think you're gonna go for the Renault if it's in decent condition. Still waiting for the budget?
You were right, just driven it home. Absolutely love it
Old 11-11-17, 06:40 PM   #14
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I expect to be in an Alfa next.
I did briefly consider a 159 2.4 JTDM but they are getting on a bit now. The little Mito and Guilietta do nothing for me and the new saloon (whatever its called) is too new and expensive.
I am in the same positon with too many cars needing love and not enough time for them all.

We actually went over to a localish independent Alfa dealer this afternoon to sit in a couple of models. I was rather taken by the 159 and the Brera but I really want a 3.2, I don't want a 1.7 turbo or any sort of diesel and they are in rather sort supply.
Old 12-11-17, 06:23 AM   #15
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
I currently have a track day supercharged clio

The respect for the Megane is a lot higher than I realised very sorted motors right out the box.

The vrs etc are ok but are hardly a big spec

Also if there anything like the clio there huge fun
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 10:22 AM   #16
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
I am in the same positon with too many cars needing love and not enough time for them all.

We actually went over to a localish independent Alfa dealer this afternoon to sit in a couple of models. I was rather taken by the 159 and the Brera but I really want a 3.2, I don't want a 1.7 turbo or any sort of diesel and they are in rather sort supply.
just make sure its not fitted with the vauxhall m32 box, it will forever need rebuilds!

The Ti is the one to have in 159 format, but with big rims comes the need to polybush the front compliance bush else your front tyres will last 4k miles only.

The 2.4jtd is a bit heavy, the 1.9 is good with a remap, sluggish without but has that awful M32 box.

The 2.0jtdm came with (I think) the F40 box which is not a bad box, this is the diesel choice.

Never really had the petrols, the 2.2 never appealed and my only experience of the v6 was older gen, great sound, pulled well, revved well, but could drink the fuel.

A remapped diesel will be quick, and offer great economy.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 12:48 PM   #17
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
You were right, just driven it home. Absolutely love it
My brother had one of them, was a great drive, could really chuck it around and it flew when you put your foot down!
I’d have one.
He had a full spec cup. The recaros were great and somehow comfy I’m not sure the 19” wheels helped handling or accelerating but they looked great and it still slung itself around handily.

I want one now I’m remembering it 😂
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 04:50 PM   #18
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I would have looked at GT86's or mayb a couple of others for something a bit different but fun too and not hugely expensive....

But I'm sure that megane will be a blast!

If I had more space I'd be looking for another runabout type car - something smaller than the mustang, and less of a diva than the ZS!

Problem is - I work from home, I would struggle to find a good reason to run three cars!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 03:54 AM   #19
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
If you don’t need 4 seats a s2000 ticks the boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-17, 07:40 AM   #20
ZS Phil

Quote:

The 3.2 would be nice but very thirsty I bet. I love the front end on them, very unique. A 159 2.4 JTDM mapped would be my choice in that line up, sound quite fruity for a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
I currently have a track day supercharged clio

The respect for the Megane is a lot higher than I realised very sorted motors right out the box.

The vrs etc are ok but are hardly a big spec

Also if there anything like the clio there huge fun
Good to hear
Which clio have you got?
I had a 172 a few years ago which was great fun.
The Megane is great for what I want, glad I bought it but probably not to everyone's taste. Im surprised by how grown up it can be yet throw it around a bit and it really comes into its own. Exactly what I wanted, something to munch up the commute but put a smile on my face on the B road section of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
If you don’t need 4 seats a s2000 ticks the boxes
I agree but unfortunately not much room for 2 mountain bikes in the back so the Magane is about as small as I can get away with really as my other half has a Cooper S so needed something to put the shopping in!
I think I'll be happy with the RS as long as it behaves and stays reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
My brother had one of them, was a great drive, could really chuck it around and it flew when you put your foot down!
I’d have one.
He had a full spec cup. The recaros were great and somehow comfy I’m not sure the 19” wheels helped handling or accelerating but they looked great and it still slung itself around handily.

I want one now I’m remembering it 😂
I remember you saying about your brother's one. Sounds like he had the "full fat" as its known, probably the most desirable one for most people, not least for the Recaros. I would have been tempted but they seem to go for top money.
I settled on the simplest, lightest and arguably best handling one. A factory Cup 250 with 18" wheels and the Michelin Pilot sport tyres, LSD, cloth seats (which actually are basically the same as MG Monacos), no climate control, sat nav or anything like that. Its got standard fit cruise control and bluetooth and thats about it. My only criticism so far is that the stereo is absolute sh**.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
I would have looked at GT86's or mayb a couple of others for something a bit different but fun too and not hugely expensive....

But I'm sure that megane will be a blast!

If I had more space I'd be looking for another runabout type car - something smaller than the mustang, and less of a diva than the ZS!

Problem is - I work from home, I would struggle to find a good reason to run three cars!
Now you mention it I did consider a GT86 but I was taken out in one when they first came out and was very underwhelmed by it on the roads. Im sure they would be great fun on a circuit though despite their lack of power. Power isn't everything.
Haha talking about justifying a number of cars, you should see our driveway, its almost embarrassing justifying it (even though I cant really) to non car people.
I'd happily take the Mustang and your ZS as a "do everything" collection.