theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 25-05-14, 05:22 PM   #11
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
He is still active.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-14, 05:48 PM   #12
6282tom

6282tom is on a distinguished road
I think I've worked out who he is...

Last edited by 6282tom; 25-05-14 at 05:55 PM.
6282tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-14, 10:50 PM   #13
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
He is still going but is now up in the Stoke area.
Old 26-05-14, 10:35 AM   #14
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
sounds like youve had a nightmare with that place james,i wouldent have been happy either.
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-14, 10:38 AM   #15
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Shame it put you off the car, was one of the fastest on the road in their day.

Lucky the tin rots not eaten it away.
Old 26-05-14, 12:54 PM   #16
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
The 8v maestro turbo was fast, the T16 faster.......just look at what Dans done to his T16 to see what's possible....not that I'll be following that route, mate of mine built mental maestro (as seen on Top Gear), he got it up to 308 bhp IIRC but it was undrivable in normal use so he got it knocked back to 287.

I was very lucky with the body on this one, the day one MG1600 I had even had rust inside the filler cap.
Old 26-05-14, 04:04 PM   #17
Cally180

Cally180 is on a distinguished road
Would be good to see it back up and running but with a bit of a modern take
Cally180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-14, 08:40 PM   #18
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Interesting reading, but who is this guy in question? Should I know him as he sounds a bit of a cowboy?
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 10:05 PM   #19
talkingcars

A bit about the car - I'll start with the biggest change - the engine - as I already mentioned it has been fitted with a T16 2.0 turbo out of a Rover 820 Vitesse, obviously a more powerful engine than the original 8v injection engine with both twice as many valves and cams and a turbo (but most of you will know that) - this was mated with the original gearbox which is far easier than fitting the box that comes with the engine as there are no issuies with mating drive shafts or speedo drives.

The big problem with keeping the EFi gearbox is that it is the lowest geared of all the PG1 boxes so a bit low, first is pointless if trying to accelerate hard and wheel spin in third in the dry!

I was planning to make a bespoke box using the 1st, 2nd and 3rd from a maestro turbo and 4th and 5th from a diesel box and torsen diff from a 220 but some nice soul stole the tubby and 220 boxes.

Back to the engine - to make it run properly I had to rewire it repairing the engine loom and removing wiring no longer required, I also extended the loom (can you see the ECU in the engine bay picture on page 1?) - finally I removed the remains of the EFi wiring where not required.

Soon after I got the car back I had to replace the water pump, it shares a drive with the power steering pump with the PAS fluid lubricating the moving parts, of course I was lucky with my Maestro in that it came without PAS...

This is when I discovered how rusty the coolant ways are from the car being run without antifreeze, how it came from the installer. This has led to much work on the cooling system but that will be the subject of the next installment.
Old 02-06-14, 10:15 PM   #20
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
keep at it james i know it must be so time consuming and costly,will be well worth it in the end mate,look forward to seeing this in the end,good luck bud.
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote