theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 23-08-16, 08:08 PM   #11
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Well when you start thinking like this there is only one outcome, you are already over halfway leaving it by the sounds of it. Best thing is have a budget in mind, includes finance deals, plenty out there for all incomes, bang the upper limit into Autotrader and have a good look through the possibilities. Sometimes you come across something you haven't considered and may find a good buy.

I've felt like you many times with my ZS, hence why it's now just a toy, hobby and project car. Better the devil you know and I have another car as the daily. If I want a change or a laugh I use the ZS but limit the miles on a classic policy. However if you have lost the love then no use fighting it and trying to justify keeping it, time to move on.

If it were closer I would 'pop' round and have a good look and dangle a carrot!
Old 23-08-16, 09:57 PM   #12
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Have you changed the gearbox oil since you got the car?
If not you ought to.
And discs are a service item too.

Don't rush into changing, take your time to work out what you want and to find the best example you can.
Old 24-08-16, 06:13 AM   #13
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Have you changed the gearbox oil since you got the car?
If not you ought to.
And discs are a service item too.

Don't rush into changing, take your time to work out what you want and to find the best example you can.
Gearbox oil has been changed twice since it started James and I know the discs are easy sorted it's really the rot that scares me the most It's something I've never really dealt with and I have never done welding so that is pretty daunting. to be honest I don't want to get rid of it.there is to much of me that's been put into the car and I do still love it to bits.I think I will sorn it come the first frost and get something for the winter again and just need to pull my finger out and get some stuff done over the winter.
Old 24-08-16, 08:43 AM   #14
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I've moved away from a ZS a few times (had 7 of them in my time) but keep coming back to one (normally a 180). I currently have a fairly modified one and am tinkering with it all the time, however it is now a "weekend toy" as my commute to work is about 40 miles up the A3 (Portsmouth to Guildford) and I purchased a ZT-T Diesel as the daily commute, the ZT-T also makes a damn good family car for holidays etc.

I know the risk is I will start doing things to the ZT, I already am but mostly to bring it back into shape, and then the ZS might start loosing out a bit.. But the insurance is cheap enough and the ZS is reliable enough that I just reconnect the battery and go for a blast (with the obvious servicing that is required every now and then).

Only you can decide what to do with your car and if you do get rid, what to get in replacement. The above scenario works for me, but might not work for you - Good luck with whatever decision you make and stay around, this place will miss you if you don't

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-16, 12:28 PM   #15
R8NMG

R8NMG will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmy View Post
Having a bit of a dilemma here and I don't know what to do.I've had my mk2 180 for twelve years and loved the car to death and in all that time never ever really thought about parting with it but.recently I am really thinking about moving it on and going to pastures new .it still starts stops and drives fine and is still my daily driver but it is getting a bit long in the tooth the gearbox is making a strange noise when the car is warm it needs new discs on the front and the front Jacking points have started to rot a bit and if I am honest I just don't know whether I have the time,energy or inclination to do the repairs myself .the body work and paint is still in decent nick with the odd scuff here and there and when the car is clean it still looks a million dollars.it is a bit of a one off car and It's been loved since I got it and has some nice touches in it that make it quite unique but it's a real quandary for me whether to move on or not.needing advice on what to do guys .keep and repair or move on
You are in the same situation I was but I never had all your car issues. Inevitably the 180 has to go it's just a matter of sooner or later. And most know what decision I made.
R8NMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-16, 10:18 PM   #16
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
bang the upper limit into Autotrader and have a good look through the possibilities. Sometimes you come across something you haven't considered and may find a good buy.
This is actually how I found my first 180! Diverted me from buying a V6 FTO.

I also know the feeling of a crumbling ZS hence I now have the 6. I don't regret moving to the modern MG but will get another ZS. So I'd keep the one you have and get something newer if you can.

I think the wee Fiat has change how you see your ZS though.

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-16, 10:26 AM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Thought of you Smokey and the old track car, when I was looking at BTCC, from Knockhill at the weekend.

Looks a good circuit and you did get a feel for how hilly it is.

Old 25-08-16, 11:42 AM   #18
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Thought of you Smokey and the old track car, when I was looking at BTCC, from Knockhill at the weekend.

Looks a good circuit and you did get a feel for how hilly it is.

Miss doing that. Will happen again though as that's why I will buy another 180. But would get a mk2 this time.

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-16, 12:11 PM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

be good to see.

Are getting bargains now, long as you can get a rust free one.

Old 25-08-16, 06:18 PM   #20
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
You know and admit yourself that the ZS is worth very little money but means a lot more to you having put blood,sweat & beers over it
Certainly invested a lot of time keeping it running & I think you would have sellers regret.
finance & loans are great just now for newer cars Grimmy if you can cope with storing the ZS & rebuild it over time then would that keep you interested ?
Plenty of modern cars that are fun & don't cost too much, I was only 3 grand for a 5 year old car.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote