theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 30-09-16, 05:23 PM   #11
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
just noticed...

no cat & no precat???

does it have a dodgy mil thingy???
No cat or precats no.

No dodgy MIL eliminator, I just clear the light with an old scanner every so often but it's often got the light on for a while before I do.

Ok the below five thing makes sense, thanks.
I do feel a kick at just before 4k so that seems to correlate a little on the graph.
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 05:56 PM   #12
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
question is, how happy is the ecu with that.

the ecu has adaption channels, have a think about the parameters the ecu sees and how it adapts to the sensor voltages it sees and adjusts for these as well as general engine wear.

personally I'd fit a 100cpi cat minimum sort the vis if they aren't working (and they don't look like they are) and reset the adaption channels.

I think you may be confusing that kick you feel just over 4k with the natural intake pulse length harmonics that happen, looking at the graph I'd say no working vis and its just pulse length your feeling.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 06:49 PM   #13
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
Cam timing is out. Piper don't put the keyways in the same place as std cams

Sent from Drew @ Roverdose
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-16, 08:16 AM   #14
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
What's the wheel power showing on the dyno? Wouldn't even bother looking at the corrected figures
Old 01-10-16, 08:48 AM   #15
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
"I seem to be able to feel them kicking in fine as I put two new ones not too long ago but I will test them again soon, I'll have to get my name back on the list again"

If you and your mrs fancy a trip to blackpool you are more than welcome to pop round and use my ACR4 which will not only test the VIS motors but virtaully every other actuator and throw up any fault codes.

That aside, are you sure the mechnaic who fitted the cams knew what he was doing as didn't you say he couldn't work out how the verniers fitted hence why they are not on the car.
Just seen this reply sorry Phil,
That could well be a plan at some point, I'll have to see what the calendar is like lol! Sounds like an awesome bit of kit!

I'm not so sure now on the mechanic! Thought he would be fine as a lot of people use them where I'm from but maybe he got it way wrong and it's out as a lot are saying and he's screwed it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Cam timing is out. Piper don't put the keyways in the same place as std cams

Sent from Drew @ Roverdose
Ok that sounds like something to look at then.

If those are different does that mean to use the standard timing marks or not?

I've never timed an engine before but is there any pictures or what should I be looking at to have a quick check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
What's the wheel power showing on the dyno? Wouldn't even bother looking at the corrected figures
I'm not sure tbh with you. That's the figures I got given so I don't know the wheel figures sorry.
Old 01-10-16, 08:49 AM   #16
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
interesting the point where hp and torque collide...

did you see the car rev out on the tacho?

was the guy watching the dyno screen revs to rev out or your tacho?

did the engine hit the rev limiter?
Old 01-10-16, 08:54 AM   #17
Mark S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
Cam timing
If those are different does that mean to use the standard timing marks or not?

I've never timed an engine before but is there any pictures or what should I be looking at to have a quick check.
even the timing piper say they should be timed to is not really in the zone and not the sort of timing an expert would put on the motor.

most people time them up with the standard rover timing tools as so few people have exhaust side verniers.

the rover timing tools way of timing does not produce a graph like that, but I think the comment above may have stumbled across something interesting
Old 01-10-16, 08:54 AM   #18
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
interesting the point where hp and torque collide...

did you see the car rev out on the tacho?

was the guy watching the dyno screen revs to rev out or your tacho?

did the engine hit the rev limiter?
Should be 5252?

It sounded like it hit the limiter each time to me, I didn't see the tach or the dyno screen tbh. Didn't know to keep a eye on it!

Just watched a couple of the vids back and it does seem sound like it revs out :/

Last edited by Skillen; 01-10-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 09:12 AM   #19
Mark S

yup, should be 5252, so if you re-align the the rev graph to 5252 and if the engine was not revved out...
Just a theory, may be way off...

skillenrev by mark stone, on Flickr
Old 01-10-16, 09:39 AM   #20
sheldore

sheldore is on a distinguished road
I'm not so sure now on the mechanic! Thought he would be fine as a lot of people use them where I'm from but maybe he got it way wrong and it's out as a lot are saying and he's screwed it up!

That's why I never use that garage heard many bad reports about them not being the best.
sheldore is offline   Reply With Quote