theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-06-08, 04:52 PM   #11
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I was born within spitting distance of Gales! Always been partial to it!

Like I said cat 'D' is minor work, cat 'C' is also road worthy but requiring a bit of labour and jigging to put right, all other catergories are beyond repair and not road worthy. They are not allowed to return to the road, the worse ones are not even allowed to be stripped off parts, therefore crushed whole!

Taken from the AA website:

Categories Of Write-Off

An explanation of the categories of write-off are listed below:

Category A
A vehicle which should be totally crushed, including all its spare parts.

Category B
A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should be crushed and the car should never return to the road.

Category C
An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category D
A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category F
A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair. Theft These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.
Old 09-06-08, 06:53 PM   #12
Stephen
Yeah defo back now...

Stephen will become famous soon enough
Rust on the Arches of a 52 REG MG ZS

Moonshine ZS 180
Glacier ZS 180
Twilight ZT 190 SE
Sunspot ZT-T 180
Dark Fantasy 75 Tourer
Blue MG5 EV
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 07:38 PM   #13
shroonie29

shroonie29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoCountryman View Post
Rust on the Arches of a 52 REG MG ZS

I agree,most ZS don't have any sign of rust on the bodywork

Shroon

"In the MG ZS, the relationship between car and driver borders on the intimate"
"The surprise is that the MG ZS feels right straight away and stays accurate and poised"
shroonie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 08:03 PM   #14
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroonie29 View Post
I agree,most ZS don't have any sign of rust on the bodywork

Shroon
Easily sortable although a sign of a poorly prepped job prior to spraying.

Try these for rust cures..........classic car owners are swearing by it apparently.

Jim

Last edited by Boot Hill Bandit; 09-06-08 at 08:12 PM.
Boot Hill Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 09:46 PM   #15
moonklash

moonklash is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys - that's really helpful! I thought it was odd that there would be rest on somthing only six years old... seams really weird! I'm a little concerned now, because now I've looked at some other ZS rear ends it's clear that the boot has been replaced (which I was told) but I'm guesing that most of the work was not done with genuine MG parts or the badge layout would be the same as the other MGs I see driving around? And I was told that the accident was with the rear of the car so it seams strange for a lot of panels to have been replaced (although I guess it could have been relatively minor damage that required work).

I suppose that as long as the chasis and engine are okay it shouldn't matter... just frustrating as I have a four hour drive to go look at it

I'm going via London to bring a friend who's a professional mechanic. He's got the gadgets to read how deep the paint is, he can use that to see which panels have been replaced (or painted at least!) though I'm starting to worry that should wait a bit longer till something a bit more guaranteed turns up in my price range... though for under £2k I reckon it must be a bit of a bargain even if it has had a lot of work! So difficult to tell...
Old 09-06-08, 10:08 PM   #16
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Would a trophy yellow 180 tempt you? I know of a good one going for £2300 and it's had its cambelts done as well, I can vouch for the car as I know the owner and have worked on it myself. He's a scummer too so would be local!
Old 09-06-08, 11:02 PM   #17
moonklash

It may indeed! Probably safer than getting the one I've been looking at as there seems a fair amount to worry about (although I do love the extras). Do you know what the mileage, and year is? Oh, and if it has a sunroof Everyone things I'm mad but I hate not having a sunroof lol! That's what's missing from my Megane (plus a nice looking car lol)

I've just put my Megane on autotrader so I'll probably have to wait and see what I get for it. I was pushing through with this one because I won it on eBay but the listing didn't mention the write-off which is why it's a little uncertain whether or not we'll be going ahead with it. It was a good price I won it for though, £1800!

Haha - good old Pompey v the Scummers! I'm ashamed to have to work there lol!
Old 10-06-08, 08:45 AM   #18
stamford
Site Owner

Thread link here, as I said it has dropped to £2300 now.
Old 10-06-08, 10:20 AM   #19
moonklash

Thanks that's great! I'll probably need to sell my Megane first before I make a decision but it looks good

I'd probably better go do some work before I spend a second day on here and my boss notices lol But I'll give it some thought.
Old 10-06-08, 01:47 PM   #20
stamford
Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonklash View Post
Thanks that's great! I'll probably need to sell my Megane first before I make a decision but it looks good

I'd probably better go do some work before I spend a second day on here and my boss notices lol But I'll give it some thought.
Ah the benefits of having your own office and with no-one who can look over your shoulder!

Tags
side skirts, write off