theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 29-04-12, 07:12 PM   #1
Adamzs180

Adamzs180 will become famous soon enough
BMC V's ITG

I've seen a bmc induction for sale at £202 and an itg maxogen for £310 is the maxogen worth the extra £108 i know this has been discussed to death but i just want to be sure that i'm getting the right kit for my car. I know they need fitting below the passenger side headlight and to decrease the pipe size to keep the air flow pressure. And both should, if fitted properly, give up to 10bhp increase. would cutting a larger hole in the front bumper increase the cold air flow, providing the hole was properly ducted? I'm thinking that this + exhaust+ re map should see me closer to the 200bhp mark?
Adamzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-12, 08:15 PM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Firstly is the BMC a kit or just the carbon fibre can, bracket and ducting? If so then £202 seems steep. The ITG is a full kit so no extras required. Any induction kit is a compromise at best and never optimal in its installation. So the airflow will always be 'okay' as it is basically the same size all the way through. Position of the intake is key, the ITG being fixed. Any decent open cone in inner wing, BMC and ITG will give around 10bhp on average. So 200 is possible with decent exhaust, decat and a remap, the main gain here is AFR at the top end is corrected, little noticed below this tbh but worth the money compared to other mods albeit small.
Old 29-04-12, 08:19 PM   #3
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
That is a lot of money. An inner wing filter and pipe work will do the same job for a lot less.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-12, 08:35 PM   #4
Adamzs180

Adamzs180 will become famous soon enough
Okay i can see this getting complicated for my non mechanical brain. I think what you're saying is any filter as long as its positioned for maximum air flow will do the job sufficiently but ITG supply everything needed for that but at a price.
Adamzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-12, 09:31 PM   #5
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Personally, I've had one 180 with a blvd and two with ITG induction kits... I personally rate the itg more due to the fixing although I think power wise they are much a muchness... think I would go itg if twere me...

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-12, 07:42 AM   #6
DuckFeet

DuckFeet is on a distinguished road
I went with :
second hand BMC £50-100
TB pipe from PSH £50
cold air feed £10 (your favourite local DIY place)
BMC cleaning kit, £20 I think.

The cheapest option is still a £15 cone and a £10 cold air feed with some cable ties to hold it all in place.

Personally I'm buying all second hand mods this time round and it's working out well so far.
DuckFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-12, 08:47 AM   #7
big_wasa

I like making stuff but the itg looks the best quality. I am not a fan of re using the the squidgy standard hose on the throttle body.

Over the years people have said keep the pipe work away from the rad and the filter or air feed out of the engine bay and its all much of a muchness.

I made mine out of stainless but alloy and sillicone joiners will do the same jome for less.

Less than £90 all in
Old 30-04-12, 08:59 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_wasa View Post
I like making stuff but the itg looks the best quality. I am not a fan of re using the the squidgy standard hose on the throttle body.

Over the years people have said keep the pipe work away from the rad and the filter or air feed out of the engine bay and its all much of a muchness.

I made mine out of stainless but alloy and sillicone joiners will do the same jome for less.

Less than £90 all in
Nice work there, could be a nice earner if offered to members etc?
Old 30-04-12, 02:07 PM   #9
big_wasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Nice work there, could be a nice earner if offered to members etc?
Thanks I dont feel my Tig work is upto retail standard yet though. I would have gone alloy but only have a Dc tig.

Alloy elbows and joiners will do the same job.
Old 30-04-12, 02:54 PM   #10
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Id buy that!!!

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote