theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 26-08-12, 10:45 AM   #1
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Reyland Zs Rebuild / Update

Morning all,
Right with my house move finally all sorted and the garage 90% how i want it i thought it might be a good time to start a rebuild thread as a few of you have asked how the Reyland Zs is doing.

New Garage:

It's quite obvious that the guy who got it after Dave did treat it with the same love and attention and just ragged the ***** out of it something which would be hard not to do tbh its a very addictive car to drive if your not into air con, music and all that comfort stuff :-)
Ross had aldready started to address some of the issue's but as far as i am concerned the only way to get it back and improve it to strip it back to the shell and start again.

I have already started to acquire the parts that i want which will push the car in the direction i want it to go.

The BTTC bodywork for the moment appears to have disappeared down a dark hole but i am hoping that my further enquirers will result in the appearance of some lighter fiberglass bonnet / wings but these are not a priority at the moment.
I have purchased and will be fitting the front windows back but this will be the only lux items that will be going back in. It just gets so warm in the car i found myself trying to direct the wind back into the car with my hand lol!

Stack 8130 will be refitted along with the TD pro race 1.2 18" that its sitting on.

Skunk2 Lca's, whole pile of poly bushes are sitting on the parts shelf and either D2 or hardrace rear camber / toe (depending who comes back to me with the best price) are about to be purchased.

Engine:

Now here is where the fun starts. After spending many many hr's trawling the information about the Bam 20v motor i am still not 100% certain where it will end up. 1 thing for certain is it aint running right at the moment. The poor starting when hot and **** poor tickover are a sign that something is not happy. Having had a long conversation with martin and him listening to it we are going to have to dig deeper. (More Later)

Having decided that believe it or not the 300hp is not enough and having spoken to backdraft who confirmed the current k04 turbo is maxed out i began looking at a replacement GTX3071r turbo but once the costs began to spiral and further issues became apparent i have shelved this idea for the moment but i am certain once the car is sorted this will happen.

So how to improve what we have and get a little more top end.

This is 1 of only 20 new v3 Relentless manifold and nothing like their previous much cheaper e bay specials. From the dyno results it should add another 30-40hp to the top end.

The car is due to head back to the creator :-) in 2 - 3 weeks time to try and diagnose the engine problems, it could be a duff map sensor but martin is going to run compression and leak down tests to make sure we are not looking at a duff valve etc.

New injectors and a remap will also be required so i may also replace the MBE ecu with something like the Pectel that can be setup live instead of having to tweek the map then upload then dyno run again with the current setup.
May as well run something that Martin is familiar with seeing as he is local to me and is going to be the only one setting it up.

Brakes:

Ok the car run's the brembodge setup atm with ds3000 pads. I have resurfaced the disc's and installed new pads and this has removed the shakes but whilst i dont think there is a problem with the setup i have a nagging worry. The performance of the car atm is superb but with more HP and looking to the future where i will replace the turbo and the car will be running 400-450hp i am building to the figure now. Martin is going to be replacing this setup with a Reyland setup using his disc's and calipers, he is going to have one of the wheels and squeeze the biggest's discs he can in there, this i am sure will put my mind at rest.

So in the next few weeks there will be a fully working Brembodge setup up for grabs price will be around the £400 mark and will include discs, adapters, calipers and ds3000 pads. Disc's have only covered maybe 500miles but the pads are ds3000 and provide unbelievable stopping power but they are a track pad and if you can live with the squeal that comes with gentle braking then no prob, if you cant then maybe a shift to ds2500 or similar maybe better.

First come first serve so if someone wants them then let me know and i will put your name on them, if not then e bay they go!

Thats it for now but will add more once i get the diagnosis from the doctor :-)

Paul
Old 26-08-12, 12:34 PM   #2
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
Looks like a great thread, I look forward to plenty of updates
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 02:28 PM   #3
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Awesome mate! Love it!! Cant wait to see it finished and in my rear view mirror (obviously joking! Mine never works!!!!) hopefully martin sorts the dodgy idle and its nothing serious!

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 03:56 PM   #4
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 05:59 PM   #5
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
amen to my friends words above.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-12, 10:54 PM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?
Old 26-08-12, 11:19 PM   #7
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I know a bit about the car but would be nice to have all the knowledge as you are building a reeeally awesome car!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 09:26 AM   #8
sneekyparrot

sneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the roughsneekyparrot is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Sounds like interesting plans.

For those who don't know the car can we have more info about it or links to previous posts?
Here are a couple, 1 from orginal build and 1 from Ross's sale which lists spec etc.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17975359

http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=20880

cheers
Paul
Old 27-08-12, 09:29 AM   #9
sneekyparrot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I run thr older GT3071R and love it and as and when it gives up I will be going GTX for sure as they are great turbo's, I know a few guys running them on VAG's with great results.
Must say I'm pleased to see the car being loved again as it would be a shame to see it parted out or worse, will keep a very keen eye on this thread.
Yeah spent a while re searching different turbo's, spool times etc. The gtx3071 will produce 400hp all day without having to max out with silly boost etc. Just be happy when we know whats up with the motor, if it turns out to be a valve issue then going to look a the large port agu head.

cheers
Paul
Old 27-08-12, 07:14 PM   #10
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Pleasing to see the car in good hands still and with plenty of future plans.