theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Cars Wanted

Old 04-02-12, 11:01 PM   #1
Nobrainer

Nobrainer has a spectacular aura aboutNobrainer has a spectacular aura about
BRM dead so looking for a ZS 180

The engine in my BRM has gone pop and I fancy a change so I'm looking for a ZS 180. Low mileage, subtle colour and priced reasonably please. Mk 1 or 2 I don't mind. I'm in Southampton.

Thanks
Nobrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 06:36 AM   #2
welshone

welshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrainer View Post
The engine in my BRM has gone pop and I fancy a change so I'm looking for a ZS 180. Low mileage, subtle colour and priced reasonably please. Mk 1 or 2 I don't mind. I'm in Southampton.

Thanks
Welcome to the V6 side
MG ZS 180 Saloon Starlight Silver - 2003 Current

MG ZS TD Saloon XPower Grey 2004 Gone
MG ZS 180 Saloon Trophy Blue 2003 Gone
Rover BRM Gone
welshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 07:54 AM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Hi and welcome.

What happened to the BRM?
Old 05-02-12, 10:21 AM   #4
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Hi and

Plenty of good 180's out there, make sure the belts have been done, or knock of ££'s if the price is high. Clutch is working OK, ABS and brakes, thermostat housing in the V hasnt got any orangey gunk round it. Carpets arnt wet.
Old 05-02-12, 10:48 AM   #5
Nobrainer

Nobrainer has a spectacular aura aboutNobrainer has a spectacular aura about
I think the oil filter in the brm blocked. Didn't have the garage spend too much time looking once he determined it was going to be expensive as it wasn't in top condition.

whats the deal with the zs leaking? Is it something easily fixed? And orangey gunk, do you mean hgf? I didn't think the v6 was prone to that?
Nobrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:18 AM   #6
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
the V6 is prone to thermostst housing failure, which if left unfixed, leads to HGF.

It is a simple fix but requires half the engine to be stripped to get to it as it sits in the Vee, visual sign is coolant in the vee.
Old 05-02-12, 11:34 AM   #7
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't say the v6 is prone to thermostat failure.

In all the zs 180s I've owned and that's probably more than any member on here, I have yet to have one fail on me.

I have replaced a few on zt v6 but then I have replaced a few v6 engines in a zt.

The 180 v6 doesn't normally suffer coolant issues.

So I don't agree with the prone to statement.

Also please bear in mind the first zs is now 11 years old so it's entitled to have wear issues with the likes of seals pumps and thermostats.

I remember the old ford pinto engines with the dreaded spray bar failure causing the cam to run dry of oil. They used to go at 30k

The kv6 is a relatively robust engine.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:38 AM   #8
ZRed

ZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the roughZRed is a jewel in the rough
Coolant leaks from the thermostat housing and associated pipework are very common on the KV6.
ZRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:52 AM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Better to mention it, even if its not too common. I have read of a few that needed doing.

Then if you do have problems with the thermostat housing, take care how you take off the fuel rail, some say dont undo the O rings, remove as a unit.
Old 05-02-12, 11:57 AM   #10
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
Sorry Gea but disagree.

I've been working with the Kv6 since it was introduced in the rover 800.

If you was to put it into perspective and look at engine units produced and then compare the amount of units that had thermostat issues then it would be a very small proportion. So it would not make it common or mean that the engine had failings.

Most kv6s have now covered 100k + so are now having signs of things that are now requiring replacement.

G
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote