theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 11-03-10, 11:29 PM   #1
Tom163

Tom163 is on a distinguished road
My MG ZS 110 Project Progress Thread

I thought this time as the project is still new i'd put up a proper progress thread so I can update it every time something happens. I will also be doing video updates through my Youtube through the link in my sig. Anyway here goes....

Picked the car up about 2 weeks ago completely stock with a genuine 24,000 miles on the clock from new. It was made in 2005 but registered on a 54 plate for reasons unknown. The car has the Rover K series 1.6 (108HP) engine as stock and the owner from new added the optional extras of the factory fitted bodykit, Cat 1 alarm and Kenwood audio upgrade...but left out electric windows lol.

The car is mint apart from a few paintwork niggles (been used as a city car), there is some light scuffs and scratches but nothing that can't be removed. Engine wise healthy as the day it came from the factory and the same for the interior of the car.

My goal for this project it to have a fast-road car and also a car that can compete on occasional track days without looking to foolish. I have estimated the final figures of running about 140 BHP and not sure on torque figures just yet also those figures will be achieved without moving from N/A tuning or uprating the liter of the engine from a 1.6. Just yet.

Here are some pictures of how the car stands completely stock-

So thats how it stands at the minute! ready for modding!
Tom163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:29 PM   #2
Tom163

Quick update, since buying the car nothing major has really happened.

I first of all fitted my Competition spec head unit from theloudest.com (Christmas present) which replaced the stock Kenwood unit...although the Kenwood was very good nothing really can match this head unit for quality on stock ICE.

Some features of the head unit-

DVD Player
TV
Colour Screen 3.5'
Ipod connection
USB/Memory Card reader
Bluetooth
Built in Amp
4x80 watt capable
Bluetooth Streaming
etc etc

Installed in my car:

Second update, me and a friend took the ZS to have a power dyno run over at Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield. I just wanted to get a base figure to then start modding too insted of blind modifying and hoping I get gains.

The end result was 123.0 BHP at 6729rpm and 108.2 lb-ft of torque at 4960rpm. This was very strange for a car which should only have 108BHP stock so either the dyno was over reading alot or there may be something internally done to the engine already (investigations on going lol). In the very least I know the engine is healthy and ready for modding.

There is also a quick video on my Youtube (see sig).

Thats all up to yet....comming soon MG TF 135 Fast Road Cams and 160 VVC Inlet Manifold with 1.8 injectors . Oh and a set of Areo wipers lol.

Last edited by Tom163; 11-03-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-03-10, 11:30 PM   #3
Tom163

Not done an update for a while so here how everything stands up to yet. Nothing really has been done to the car apart from a Steve Cleanz detail, I am still collecting parts in my bedroom lol.

I got some Piper cams from Lee off here, they look very much like Pipers 270's but can't be certain until fitted...at the very least they are 135 profile Here they are

Hoping to get them fitted at the beginning of next month so will report on the differences.

Also got myself an Exhaust heatshield thingy for the rear bumper but need to modify the bumper to fit it.

Had a nice surprise this morning as I got my brand new XPower Thruflo backbox I got of Ebay (what a bargin!!) the other day....looks sexy with a 3.5" inward rolled tip and a 2.25" pipe diameter so not an overkill and should handle my final power aims perfectly, going to get that fitted soon as I receive my Janspeed Intermediate pipe I got from PTP yesterday .

Some piccys-

The only markings on the box-

Still waiting for my 160 VVC Inlet mani and Plenum and also Janspeed Center Section which should be here very soon!

Cheers
Tom

Last edited by Tom163; 14-04-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 01:33 AM   #4
rozzr

rozzr is on a distinguished road
nice, going to be a good project bro!
MG ZR 120 2003 - sold
MG ZR 105 2002 - sold
MG ZS 120 2004 - sold
Ford Focus ST 2007 - CURRENT!
rozzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 11:42 AM   #5
Tom163

Cheers mate, I hope so lol will take time but no expense will be spared!

Old 12-03-10, 12:02 PM   #6
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Nice to see a new progress thread, If you do go for the vvc inlet then try a 52mm tb and get the head ported to match the inlet. Otherwise will do very little

Look forward to seeing the progress

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 02:01 PM   #7
Tom163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Nice to see a new progress thread, If you do go for the vvc inlet then try a 52mm tb and get the head ported to match the inlet. Otherwise will do very little

Look forward to seeing the progress
Thanks mate. Yeah been in contact with AA Autosport about a port and polish to match the inlet mani (heard fitting without a p'n'p it can loose power) but the 52 TB will have to come a little later as funds are low this month lol. After buying 135 cams a 160 inlet and some cool areo wipers hahaha.
Old 13-03-10, 05:12 PM   #8
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Great thread Tom, looking forward to the updates as Im doing some of the same mods.
Best of luck and it sounds like you found a good engine to work with.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-10, 07:48 PM   #9
ZS_LEE

ZS_LEE is on a distinguished road
I got 52mm TB's brand new £70 inc postage
ZS_LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-10, 02:57 PM   #10
Tom163

Bump for update on page 1 .