theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > The Market Place > Parts For Sale

Old 22-08-10, 10:06 PM   #41
blobslosak

blobslosak is on a distinguished road
So I used the hair drier, and got the motor unit apart All 4 solder connections on the switches were slightly cracked so I resoldered, popped the motor unit back in, took her out for a test drive.....

Made no difference, lights still do the same thing :s the motor works, i tested it, the switches are now fixed, the rattle only seems to be coming from the balance valves now too.

Officially stumped!

Also, noticed at night that when the red led's go out when I plant the throttle, they flicker very very slightly (as in so dim you can only just see them do it when its dark.... normal??)
blobslosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-10, 07:48 AM   #42
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
I've been on holiday so only just got mine out of the envelope today.

I've never spliced before but ive done a little bit of wiring before. I know how to splice it, but what is the best way to strip just a little bit of wire insulation off the loom wires? As i dont want to chop through them like you said.

Thanks
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-10, 07:57 AM   #43
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I just used a stanley blade to carefully shave some of the insulation off. If you do cut the wire its really not the end of the world as long as you then join all 3 wires back together.

If you are not confident then you could always use some piggy back spade connectors or even scotch locks. But a straight solder joint will always be better.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-10, 01:10 PM   #44
haGGard

Right well i got round to fitting this today. And my results do not seem correct. I think that the motors are operating correctly anyway, as i get that 'kick' however the left red LED (balance motor on) never illuminates. Not at idle and not above 3k rpm. The balance motor does however light the green LED below 3k rpm to show that its on when i plant my foot below 3k rpm. As far as i can figure the other 3 LED are working fine, but the traffics pretty heavy at the moment and ive not had too many chances to floor it.

Anyone know what could of caused the balance motor off LED to not work? Dont think its my soldering to be honest, all connections were clean and tidy.

Thanks
Old 24-08-10, 01:57 PM   #45
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Think thats the same issue Nor had. Check the joint on the blue wire ---- black/grey as thats the red LED for balance motor.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 24-08-10, 02:08 PM   #46
haGGard

Ok will check it now. It did start raining then was sunny then was raining again every 15 mins and that was the last wire i connected and because of the rain i disconnected the soldering iron so maybe it wasn't hot enough when i used it on that wire and got a dry joint or something.
Old 24-08-10, 02:27 PM   #47
Nor

Nor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the rough
Mine was slightly different, in that the red light worked as it should, but the green light didn't go on at all.

Looking at your lights Haggard, it looks like the balance motor is working. Maybe the wiring?
Old 24-08-10, 02:32 PM   #48
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
Mine was slightly different, in that the red light worked as it should, but the green light didn't go on at all.

Looking at your lights Haggard, it looks like the balance motor is working. Maybe the wiring?
Have you investigated it further Nor?

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 24-08-10, 03:46 PM   #49
haGGard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Check the joint on the blue wire ---- black/grey as thats the red LED for balance motor.
I've just been out and re-soldered the blue wire to a fresh new piece of the black/grey wire and its still not illuminating the left red LED. All i can think of now is maybe the LED itself is faulty?
Old 24-08-10, 03:50 PM   #50
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haGGard View Post
I've just been out and re-soldered the blue wire to a fresh new piece of the black/grey wire and its still not illuminating the left red LED. All i can think of now is maybe the LED itself is faulty?
I did check them all before sending them out, I can send you out one of the rejected ones to check, I currently dont have any blanks to make anymore. But hopefully getting more in soon.

2012 BMW 320d Sport